NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Outdoor aviary is in progress!

Greytness

Without divulging the actual costs if you aren't comfortable with it - can you provide some break down of the material and labor costs for these projects?  
I'd like to start planning and saving now....before I even have a house LOL.

I could totally see myself building a house sized aviary with all the best Parrot amenities, a garage for my motorcycles,  and a tiny house where I live. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My son and his wife built my aviary off the birdroom so the parrots can fly in and out the window.  The birds love it it makes life very easy for me.  No cement on the ground just grass and it cleans itself.  Bottom half of the aviary is wood so dogs/animals can't break in.

• Like 3

Well, yes, our neighbors are being a complete turd. She says that she suffers from misophonia, which is a condition where certain sounds trigger immediate feelings of intense rage and anger. I am not able to leave my macaws outside for longer than 5 minutes if they start squawking; otherwise she'll report us. So...I now have her work schedule, and keep the macaws outside on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for as long as I darn well please. 

Her anger has rained on my happiness big time. Frankly I wish that she' get ear buds and listen to some music.

The neighbors on our other side love the aviary. The people in back are siding with the complaining neighbor, per what she's told me.

• Like 3

Here's a pic of the aviary that I took while I was decorating it with birdie toys. The far property line is where the neighbor lives.

Directly above where the back of the chair is, lies the 'chute' where I put the birds through from the house. It now has a door.

aviary.jpg

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Luvparrots said:

My son and his wife built my aviary off the birdroom so the parrots can fly in and out the window.  The birds love it it makes life very easy for me.  No cement on the ground just grass and it cleans itself.  Bottom half of the aviary is wood so dogs/animals can't break in.

I'd love to see a picture of your aviary! Sounds like a perfect set up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SRSeedBurners said:

I may have to send my neighbor flowers after reading this.   She was worried she wouldn't get to see my birds anymore once I built the new house-attached aviary.  

You're very fortunate. This neighbor has harbored ill feelings regarding my birds for a very long time. The aviary pushed her over the edge with negative energies aimed towards us. It's similar to a stopped up garbage disposer. Once it finally gets going, all the garbage blows out the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Luvparrots featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Your aviary is amazing! So happy that you managed to get it built despite all the hiccups along the way.

I would have loved to build mine off the back of the house but unfortunately the layout of the house and garden didn't suit. So I am going to have fun and games convincing Alfie to get in his travel cage each time I was to get him out there. He likes to give me the run around before eventually relenting and getting in it. 🙄 

I'm not sure what to suggest about the neighbours. I wonder if you could invite both neighbours over to discuss the issues and work out a plan with them? Like you say, perhaps work on a timetable when the birds can be outside of that's at all possible? Depends how unreasonable they are I guess. I would hope they would come round to the idea if they know you are willing to work round them at much as is reasonably possible (obviously without too many restrictions on your birds playtime!)

Ironically enough Alfie is pretty quiet compared to most birds so I haven't had complaints. I reckon I'd get a complaint about my two Bengal cats before I got a complaint about Alfie. They are extremely vocal cats and also very loud!

Edited by neoow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They're pretty unreasonable, and we've had our share of battles over what I would say has been minimal loud outbursts. All Dexter had to do was belt out a macaw call a couple times in a row, and there she was, hanging her head over our fence line, asking me to bring him inside. It got to the point where I was beginning to have concerns that she'd file a formal noise complaint. Now I only bring him outside when I'm absolutely certain she's not home, but that's not easy to ascertain.

In order to protect him, I actually made an appointment with my son's former therapist requesting a letter that designated Dexter as his ES pet, and she did! So...if anyone were to complain, he now has letter that designates his presence in our home as being medically prescribed. I haven't actually showed them the letter, but did let them know that he's an ES bird, medically prescribed for our son, and that his emotional well being comes first and foremost. Haven't received any more e-mails from them, or heads popping up over the fence line ever since.

She's a teacher, so I know that she'll soon be home every day, which will make things more complicated. She doesn't have any issues with my other birds being out there; just Dexter. And Dexter loves, loves, loves being out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a damn shame.   I'm glad I don't have neighbors like that.   I was down at the barn and all of mine were in full chorus....I could hear their racket clear down there.    Our new neighbors told me my guineas were roosting on their roof.   I said, yeah, guineas do that.  I argued with the City of Allen not to let them build 10 ft from our barn.  So sorry (not).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's been an absolute nightmare all around. Very stressful to say the least. I'm constantly thinking about them now whenever my birds create a chorus of songs, something I don't really wish to do.

My poor Dexter is getting the short end of the stick. He loves being out in the aviary, and will initially sound off with excitement. After 15 minutes I must bring him inside, unless I'm able to help him settle down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1