NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

still able to fly clipped wings - no trauma

Devin Corso

How do I clip Korra's (Congo African grey) wings, but still have her able to fly to the ceiling, and not traumatizing her? I was able to clip her nails, but she was angry at me for 4 days. I don't want her to be scared because this is something I have to do. I don't want an accident to happen, and her fly out the door. But I want her to be able to fly because I don't want to take that beautiful ability away from her. I also don't want her to hit the fan.

My greys are both flighted and have been since I got them as clipped youngsters. Ana Grey (8) and Sterling Gris (6). I have screen doors at my doors and screens on my windows. Although they are flighted they only fly from their room to the kitchen or living room. They enjoy sitting on me and eating pistachios or walnuts or on the rope boings I have in rooms in my home. They never fly toward the ceiling where I assume your fan would be, but then they are my greys and I do not have a ceiling fan.

I wouldn't attempt such a specific clip myself. I would find a highly recommended groomer or an avian vet to do the clip. The good part about that is you can be the one to come in and "rescue" your bird from the big bad towel/groomer and hopefully shorten the sulk time! You should know that even a clipped bird can get loft and fly a fair distance if frightened or startled. Good luck finding someone who you can trust with your baby. Don't be afraid to ask for references!

I would fix the door and the fan too. They really love their ability to fly even though I've recently found out they're lazy lil butt turds just like us. GreycieMae would much rather be carried to her potty spot but if someone is getting into food in the kitchen she will high tail it in there.

I've only ever had one incident where my Grey flew out the door and that was because my boneheaded sister-in-law left two doors open and Greycie knew I was leaving and as usual was stressed because she wanted to go. However we had a recent incident in the last couple of weeks where our somewhat new little conure flew right out the door. She, unlike my bigger birds, is impossible to hear until she's right next to you. I had her in the bird room and failed to make sure the door 'clicked' shut. I was moving cages outside for cleaning and was out there for about 10 minutes about 100 feet into my backyard. She abruptly landed on my shoulder - "Hi!". That was the day I bought and installed one of those magnetic bug screens that click shut after you pass through them. Not only do they deter flying past them, they are a great reminder for people, us included, that there may be a bird on the loose and to be careful.

I second Acapella's advise- get a professional to do it. But be very picky about who you choose and make sure you find someone who is experienced so they do it properly. I think it's more risky doing it yourself- you don't want to cause accidental damage- either to the wing or to the trust/bond you have with each other.

Alfie has had two wing clips in his whole life (he's 16 years old). They only did one wing and then when I went back the second time they did the other wing. They wrapped him in a towell to do it and it was very stressful for him. And in the end it made no difference at all. As soon as he worked out the balance, he was able to fly just fine. Personally I just decided it was a whole load of stress for no real reason. He is fully flighted and I manage the risk as best as I can.

Good decision Neoow!

Many owners feel safe when they have clipped their parrots wings. However when a fright happens a clipped bird with all the Adrenalin pumping can fly believe it or not. To stop that you would need to clip them very short which could result in a very bad fall and split their beast depending on what surface they land on.

Edited by danmcq

• 4 weeks later...

I think it gives a false sense of security. My first bird (a budgie) was clipped and I walked outside with him on my shoulder and a gust of wind took him away.

My birds are flighted, my grey has never had his wings clipped. I have clipped when taming a particulary wild child or one with behavioral problems out of the norm. I do not know of any type clip that allows them to fly up. I always did a partial clip on mine (front 5-7 feathers depending on the bird) and this would allow them to glide and land, but they could not gain any height.

• 1 month later...

My birds aren't clipped (all 10 of them). The ceiling fans are turned off when I take them out, and only the portable fans are on. They know what a window is through their own trial and error.

All my birds have figured out their boundaries within our home. My newest baby came here clipped, but I've let her flight feathers grow out, and she has recently learned how to fly. I've hung up a curtain separating rooms so that when they're out I can pull the curtain closed to contain them.

Everyone in my home knows that when the birds are out all the windows and doors must be closed as well as the curtain drawn. You will simply have to figure out what works best within your environment and to make certain that everyone in your home follows what you've put into place. In keeping birds flighted comes great responsibility. But it certainly brings them tremendous joy and delight, not to mention much needed exercise.

I always lock doors before opening cages, and although I have ceiling fans in every room, they are always turned off or the door is shut when the birds are out. Everyone who comes to our home (including my adult children) knows to give a call before they get here, so we can secure everyone.

Our two just don't fly that much, just from room to room to stalk my husband and myself. But we still just don't take any chances.

They clipped Sukei while in quarantine, they didn't ask either. I was a little pissed, but whom ever did it, did a good job, he isn't flightless, but cant get any lift, he is more in glider mode, so if he takes off, he glides to the ground softly.

They clipped Sukei while in quarantine, they didn't ask either. I was a little pissed, but whom ever did it, did a good job, he isn't flightless, but cant get any lift, he is more in glider mode, so if he takes off, he glides to the ground softly.

That chaps my ass. Why do they think they have a right to clip your bird in quarantine?

That chaps my ass. Why do they think they have a right to clip your bird in quarantine?

Im still in a little hot water with USFW as you may have read in other posts, so I going to fight the ones I can win.

The feathers will grow back, I know its the point of the matter, but no harm, no foul.

It was a good job, and Sukei is safe.

Again, I just have to take the whole situation into context.

How lucky was it to get a rescue bird stolen from the Congo, sure to die, and now is living the good life in Dallas Texas.

What are the odds? Might buy a lottery ticket lol.

The fight is 95% over.

Ill just thank God for that, and consider Sukei and I lucky.

I guess it would be different if they'd butchered the job, eh? I know what you mean about chosing your battles. I think in this case that's the wise choice to make, but I do wonder why they would clip her. It's not like they were giving her out of cage time were they?