NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bucket list item - checked

SRSeedBurners

This point in the video is after about an hour of them flying. When I first threw them in there they went round and round and round. I have another short video of Greycie as she was attempting to land on one of the vertical supports and it didn't quite work out so well so she doubles back and soars over my head. The power of her flight was truly impressive. She is a hefty heifer after all and she can get the pound+ of African Grey up to super sonic speed awfully quick when she wants to.

I'll edit the video in here when it's available. *Looks like I deleted that video - dang*

Edited by SterlingSL

What a joy to watch! A great place for flying, and safe to boot, can't be beat. Other than parrots, I shared my life for 28 years with Afghan hounds (AKA 42 mile an hour couch potatoes). In the days before dog parks, I used to take them to fenced in baseball fields or football fields, close all the gates and let them run their hearts out a few times a week. GreycieMae just tickles me with how she loves to do whatever it takes to taunt you. hahaha Big question, when finished, how did you get them all back down? HRH Inara is generally good at coming when called (in the house) but am not sure how she would do in such a big area and way up high.

Big question, when finished, how did you get them all back down? HRH Inara is generally good at coming when called (in the house) but am not sure how she would do in such a big area and way up high.

Thought I added those details, I was drinking a little when I posted.

When I first took them in there I had thoughts of "how the hell am I going to get them back". As is my style I threw caution to the wind and threw my birds to the rafters. I'll figure out how to get them back later HAAAHAAA! The only reason we were there is my wife had work to do, so she was not in the gym rather she was in her office. After the first hour little Toby started to get tired of the game and kept flying to the narrow windows in the doors as that's where he kept seeing mother when she would peek in to check on us. So I knew I had him covered. I figured Rio would follow Toby. That left GreycieMae.

When mommy came in and called Rio and Toby, they immediately floated down from the windows to her. It was amazing to watch. Then I had her call Greycie and with a little prompting to get her off her lazy behind, she flew down to mommy as well.

It kills me that Phenix once flew miles a day thru the jungle & now he never leaves the ground even when he could. It also kills me that Kura may never have flown in her entire life because her aerodynamics are such & her wing span is so big it's not possible in this house. So watching your flock soar even thru the school gym makes me really happy for them!

I finally worked up the nerve to launch my conure, Tinkerbell. She's a tricky one. She is the most recall-able of all the birds by far, however only I can recall her. I can't rely on breaking out my ace-in-the-hole card, Mommy, to come in and get Tinkerbell out of the rafters like I can with Toby and Rio. GreycieMae is my least recall-able bird as she does whatever the hell she wants and anything I ask is merely a suggestion. I think she's really a feathered cat sometimes.

So since Tinkerbell will only come to me...I can't use the little foam disks to keep her flying, I can't risk breaking her trust or I may be there till the school opens up and I have to get them to use their lift to go to the ceiling and get her for me. That would probably be the last time I could ever set foot in the school. Therefore, I commissioned my daughter to help launch her and all we did was cross-court flying. No roundy-round the gym like I can with the others.

Edited by SterlingSL

I'd love to do something like this with Alfie but I think I'd have one of two problems

1) He would sit on me and be too scared to go anywhere else

2) He would fly to the highest point and not come down

I had the same problem. I was surprised at their complete lack of interest in flying. It looks so fun I keep telling them if I could fly I would be going round and round. After tossing them they however fly to the closest place to park their butts and that's where they sit. So I started using these foam disks to toss at them and keep them moving. I don't mind doing my drill instructor routine to keep the troops motivated. With just myself, I was getting more exercise than they were. Greycie found she could glide off the top of the basketball support and with a few little flaps, she's back on the opposing side. So I commissioned some help to toss a disk and force her to move on and go around some.

There's nowhere in that gym that they can get to that I can't get at them with the disk. Eventually they're going to be within reach. However the two mid-size nuggets would fly to their mother without hesitation.

I swear Alfie has velcro feet- even if I try and encourage him to fly he just sticks to my hand if he's not in the mood. He can fly and does fly- but normally just one one location to the next. He doesn't fly just for the sake of it- there is always a motive.

I really want to sort the garden out and try and concoct some form of aviary/flight for him. But my garden is quite small and split level so I'm not sure how well it would work out. It's currently rather overgrown!