NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Miss Gilbert - You've Come A Long Way Baby

katana600

Yes, Miss Gilbert, you have come a long way all in your own interpretation of "grey time". So many times you hear me say "See there, that wasn't so bad." Now I want to say you are doing so many things to get kudos and praise. It is all I can do not to whoop and dance when you lift your foot spontaneously to have a ride around the room. I know it is so you can get a ride to David and that's a gift you are giving him. While I may yet to win your affection, I promise to treasure the trust you are building with us both. You are ever so endearing most of the time and all our friends and family cheer your willingness to try again and again even when you are convinced we are up to no good. Oh yes... and just because David finds it amusing, the sustained siren blasts when I speak are not going to convince me to be silent. Think about it, if you drive me off, who will cook the beans, clean your cage and teach David to be a parrot person?

• Haha 1

And better still, by taking reconnaissance missions you will find tools to use to plot your overthrow and grand escape plan. It's only a matter of time before LuLu wears down, makes a mistake and forgets what an intelligent, cunning opponent you can be... And David, then the world shall be yours!!!

She is "letting" me pick her up ten to fifteen times each day now. She just goes up the stairs, hasn't had the inclination to come back down although I am sure she is capable. This weekend while her beloved is home, she is going up and giving him the "come hither" whistle. She is distinctly irritated when I am the one to come up to fetch her back to her cage, or stop her from chewing carpet. Regardless of her intentions, it is just great strides on her part to get out of her comfort zone and step up to an exciting fulfilling life.

Please tell Miss Gilbert her first order of business is to throw you out of her room here on Greyforums..... Miss Gilbert is welcome to attack your keyboard and tattle on you her human here in 4 The Birds Room......but you have your own room.

love, Rikki

Miss Gilbert, Dorian here again. You may not know this but your Hooman took a picture of you on the stairs. Obviously, you need to be more stealthy. How are we supposed to explore new things they think we shouldn't when they're following us around with those camera things?

I know the thread is long but that in itself is part of the point that some rehomed birds take longer to settle in than others. Just reading some or all of that thread will help new people with rehomed birds manage their expectations while giving them hope that even the most timid bird can eventually find its way into its new flock.

@Echo's Mom, the best part is, I am here on the forum to relate some of the tips and coping strategies of living with a rehomed parrot with fears and issues. To Acappella's point, there is no way of knowing how long it might take to make an adjustment. Getting to the top of those stairs has taken 4 years... the first time. Now she does it so fast, I think she is a ghostly apparition or has a transporter hidden in her cage. Thanks Sterling, I have seen some pretty cute videos of your crew too. Usually Miss Gilbert is in the witness protection program and doesn't permit photos. From the day I took that picture she has confined herself to her cage again. To be fair we have had a roof leak, new gutters, men on ladders and pounding so its just a matter of time before she is hanging out on the stairs again. Glad I was planning to get rid of the white carpet, she is having an artistic moment coloring it.

OH I do realize just how complicated it can be to work with a parrot with issues, I was at work and wanted to read your story but saw 156 pages and went WOW ... can't get away with reading all that today LOL

I will definitely keep reading through it at a sedate pace!!!

Hats off to you, and others, who take the time, make the effort and keep the patience to keep working with our wonderful creatures and bring them to a place of trust, peace and happiness!

• Haha 1