NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Palm Oil

BaileysPapa

I give Timber red palm oil. There is a thread on here somewhere with a lot of info. I think Dave and others have posted information about it. Enough to encourage me to buy it at any rate! I don't take it myself. I do remember that it is one of their main food sources in the the wild.

Yes, I drip in red palm oil on veggies, pieces of birdy bread etc. It is a staple of african greys in the wild. Dave is the one that brought up the need for red palm oil in the grey diet several years ago on this forum and those us reading his post on it started using it pretty much immediately. A main goal of every parrot owner should be to provide as close as possible to proved their parrot species the closest diet possible as in the wild. Each parrot species has evolved with food groups peculiar to there habit and foods available in abundant quantities. I tried funding the post(s) by Dave on this but could not. Hopefully he will chime in on this and give is very appreciated and respected summation on it.

Here is a video of greys dining in the wild on red palm fruit: http://www.arkive.org/african-grey-parrot/psittacus-erithacus/video-08.html

Edited by danmcq

I give my fids a warm breakfast nearly every morning. I warm their soft food mix (cooked beans, grains) in red palm oil. I then add fresh veggies and sprouts. They LOVE it. They push past the veggies to get to the warm food first. Just a note to anyone who hasn't used it before ... their droppings will be reddish-brown tinged soon after eating it. I, too, bought it after reading the extensive thread on this forum. I don't comment often, but I do read the forum every day. Wonderful information from folks with lots of experience.

Ignore the word*****Swansons****. They no longer sell it. Amazon sells it and the price and amount is great.

===========================================================================================

Red Palm Oil. I've been using it for years as well as loads of other people. It provides a very large amount of VIT A and VIT E which are very important that a bird have an abundant supply of. It's an addon to whatever food is being fed. In the wild, palm oil and palm nuts are a staple in their diet.

It's a light oil which can be given in different ways depending upon how the bird likes it. Some put it on a piece of toast and the bird accepts it. Some put a little on a teaspoon and the bird will take it but that usually applies to birds which are still newly weaned chicks. An adult grey at times, won't accept it so easily but there is another method I've always used which works because a bird can't avoid taking it in.

I take a handful of pellets and let the oil drip on the pellets. The pellets absorb the oil and the bird eats the pellets. I've always had to use this method because Smokey, Tee and Jazz won't accept it any other way.

I'll explain about it but I'll also include pictures. When the oil is purchased, it's bit thick in the container and may have to be thinned out in order to use it. What I do is take an old small seasoning bottle,( like the type that oregano or parsley comes in )clean it thoroughly and then fill it with the oil. When opening the new container the oil has an orange color and is very thick. The filled up seasoning bottle is put into the microwave for approx 25/30 seconds. After microwaving, the oil becomes very thin( thinner than olive oil) and the color of the oil is a rich cherry red. I then take a wooden stick that's a little bit thicker than the ink tube in a ball point pen. I put the stick in the oil and let it drip on the pellets. Then I take the pellets and mix them in with their seed mixture. Some people put it in oatmeal or on scrambled eggs or bread etc etc. They don't even know the oil is there. It can be used once or twice or 3x or 4x a week. Even more.

The original container and the seasoning bottle can be put away wherever because no refrigeration is necessary. The oil will return to it's orange, thick texture within 1/2 hr. The name of the company that I give you sells it for about $7.99 plus S/H per container. (Swansons no longer carries it so ignore the $ above) There are other companies that sell it but it's much more expensive. The product would have to be purchased online.No matter what company sells it, it's all the exact same thing. People who have serious digestive problems also use this product.

Type in SWANSONS VITAMIN OUTLET. All of their thousands of products are much less expensive than other places because they're a huge vitamin outlet. I've done business with them for years.

When their main page opens up, look for any area that allows you to type in the product. Type in Red Palm Oil.

You'll then see the product which is 16 ounces. It will be listed as Red Palm Oil or Virgin Palm Oil. Both are identical.

If you only have one bird, that container should last you about 8 to 12 months.

If you decide to use this product, after microwaving, the seasoning glass container should be allowed to return to room temperature before giving to your bird. A trick is to put it in the fridge fopr a little bit.

Think about it. You'll be doing your bird a big favor health wise.

It's called Red Palm Oil.

PS----It can be used for any other species of parrots too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color of Palm Oil before Microwaving

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...eforemicro.jpg

Color of Palm Oil after Microwaving

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...aftermicro.jpg

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

I started Inara on it first thing. She loves it. I keep the jar in the fridge, and just take a small bit out and either it add it to her warmed mash -- it melts in, or she even likes to nibble on it from a (demitasse) spoon once the initial chill is off. I also will drizzle a bit on her dry food.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I buy the Red Palm Oil made by Nutiva...It's organic, about $12 a jar and Whole Food carries it.

I mix in Red Palm into all my parrots food. They took about a week but I think it is growing on them. I even give them to my budgies and their chicks look healthier than ever!

I Tried Harrisons For The Sunshine Factor And They Discontinued It. They Said Nutiva.com Has A Great Red Palm Oil And A Great Coconut Oil.

I also have their Coconut oil but have not used it for my birds. Is coconut oil also good to give to them? Should i mix a little bit of both to give them? I think they may like the nutty taste better.

• 4 years later...

To Baileys Papa, In regards to Red Palm oil I am now feeding it to my 8 month old female Matilda. I use about 4 to 5 drops per day in her soft food mix and she loves it. Besides soft food she gets Nutri blend pellets, fresh fruit and Vegetables which change daily and Nuts. Greys are truly magnificent creatures. 😃🦜

• Like 1