NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gus, our lil baby.

murfchck

Ahh, The Corn Thing! Second only to peanuts & sunflower seeds as most loved by most fids, I think. If you don't mind the mess, it's also very fun to watch them tear apart a whole ear, husk, silk & all.

Every so often when it's in season, I'll take a little of the outer husk off to remove whatever it may have picked up in its travels. Then hang it by the stalk nub & get out of the way.

Think they eat maybe 5% of it. But they sure seem to enjoy themselves. Reminds me very much of letting them loose on a pumpkin.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake is meh on corn but he loves dried corn on the cob. He doesn't eat but a piece or 2 but loves pulling each nibblet off and then shredding the cob. It isn't easy getting still on the cob human grade corn but every now and again a store will have it. Generally it is with the small animal supplies and you have to make sure it is human grade corn. If in doubt don't buy.

Heehee, Pat had Gus cradled like a baby yesterday walking around the house. To his utter suprise (duh) he felt something hit his hand, he looked down and was missing all his buttons on his shirt. Gus is fast with that, i now only wear tee shirts when i get home. On the bright side, we are getting quite a good button collection started!

That he is. Had a weird thing happen with him yesterday. My paper towels ran out, pulled the tube off to change it and Gus freaked out, took off flying and screaming. Don't know what happened to that poor boy with one of those tubes but i am guessing it wasn't good. Took a while to calm him back down. So far now we know no ball caps and no cardboard rolls from paper towels.

Okay, we know we did wrong but it was 15 minutes of us ignoring this until we thought he would hyperventalate. Then it took even more time for me to get set to take this video. When he did stop, Pat told him we just did bad by picking him up but we didn't know what else to do.

This could be a video that is shown to those thinking about getting a cockatoo!

http://s1296.beta.photobucket.com/user/murfchck/media/VIDEO0070_zpsaca18b4e.mp4.html

We walked outside.... Still within his view though. Just tried to secure some items down for a big storm that was supposed to come in. That was his pityful screams, the real bad one he does goes something like this. Imagine hearing an assending scale of " err err errup " then say " ralph " over and over, 20 times minimum in a loud deep voice. And by loud, i do mean skull cracking, brain peircing loud! Thats when we know he is really mad about something. Ahh, to love a cockatoo is a true sign of insanity! Lol Or atleast this one, he has seperation issues, only with his daddy though. I can be home, in and out all day and have no issues at all with any of them. Pat gets home and our zoo goes helter skelter!

I couldn't leave a fid if they got that hysterical, either. I can't imagine that you can teach them any behavior while they're that upset, anyway.

Somehow, you guys keep figuring out how to cope w/everything your challenging little flock throws at you. So have a little faith. You'll work it out w/Gus before he turns you into a drooling mess. Hopefully... :)

Our Tango was caged for 8yr's, no cuddling just treats through the bars. His owners were afraid of him from day one.They treated him great other wise. When we got her the same day we let her out of the cage, she's never been a problem except: she doesn't cuddle, she'll perch on your arm and hand, doesn't bite, she never learned to fledge or fly, balance is somewhat off when walking with her, she goes through all the normal actions and jesters/movement of a 'TOO, but shes very quiet. we feel her love but it's like you can see in her eyes somethings missing. Then there's Freddy, 18yr's kept in a closet, most of his feathers are gone, hasn't plucked for a few years now, took over a year for her to step up, he would take treats and never bite, again never fledged and never flown,doesn't cuddle but loves to be petted, you can tell there's something missing.

Jay, i am so glad they are in your care now. One day that thing they seem to be missing will come to be! Gus is a sweetheart, loves to love and be loved, problem is he wants it all the time! He only gets that way with Pat now. When we first got him, he did that to me, i was able to ignor the screams and now he is great when its just us. When Pat gets home, to say our house is calm is a total lie! Its mayhem. Gus screams, the macaws want their play time, Gabby starts flying.lol I asked Pat to stop running to him everytime he starts it up and after tonights rant, he said he would really try. I am thinking about moving him into the living room to give the other boys ears a rest. Only problem is he wouldn't have tv during the day to keep him busy. I am not sure if it really bothers the other birds but how can it not? I can say i am at my wits end and lost. He doesn't eat much at all. He likes corn but he can't eat it every day. Seeds he throws, pellets thrown. I cook eggs, pasta, rice, veggies, fruits, meats, chicken legs and nothing. He must be eating something though, his weight is steady. He tries food but only if we hold it for him. I tried scewers, nope. I hide things for him to discover, he pushes it out of his cage. I am whining and venting, please just ignor me! Lol My car broke today too so nerves are on my sleeves! I got in it this morning and started it. There was a bad thud, i really thought and animal had gotten up in there and i had just killed it. I shut it off and stood in the rain waiting for blood but nothing. It weighed on me all day. I asked Pat finally to go look. He came back with some part in his hand and said that is what i had killed. All i could say was please tell me that piece is like something we buy and have to assemble where they give you extra screws! My car was still running so it just had to be an extra part! Nope! Okay, i am really done with my pity party now!

Wow, is that what they look like when their beaks are closed??? I only see a closed beak when there is food around! How beautiful they both are!

Oh and a car update... The part i killed was some pully thing, girl description. It has a belt on it that does something with the alternator, heater, stearing and other stuff. As explained to me, makes the go. Somehow when it snapped off the belt stayed on the center thingie. On the bright side, the squeaking noise that was driving me nutso is no more!

Edited by murfchck