NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gus, our lil baby.

murfchck

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus is non stop activity! He took his first shower with me yesterday. I was expecting some flight when i put him on the perch but he did really good. He is okay with spraying but showers for us are easier so i was happy he didn't object to it. It was just an introduction, i didn't get him wet this time. He still likes to hang out on my chest but when he feels like it he gets on my shoulder, i try to discourage him from that but he is hard headed! Oh, he also let me put a harness on him so we could go for walks outside. Yeah! When i first brought it out Pat was like, "yeah, you go ahead and try and put it on him!" No problem! I had to even put it on and take it off several times. My only question is, does the leash part go on his chest or back? Picture shows it on their back, but it makes more sense to me that it should be on the chest. If he should fly and the leash is connected to his back won't it hurt him? Is it even reversable? Lol

The still shot that links his video looks like he is smiling. What a happy fun time you have with him. That looks like a blast. He really has hit the jackpot to come home with you and Pat and the rest of your flock. Wonderful start for Gus. Love it, love it, love it.

Found out Gus does not like Pat wearing black long sleeves. Freaks him out and he takes off flying. Lol Last night he stayed out with me while the others went to their cages for dinner. He kept taking my food off my fork and throwing it. Then he got my napkin and started cleaning my face with it. Pat had the camera/video but was watching and laughing and forgot to hit record, gesh!

Man can Gus fly! Lol Pat had his black jacket on again and he doesn't like it at all!

I was brought to happy tears last night though. Gus went to Pat and they got to get to know each other, i was outside watching through the window so Gus wouldn't see me. Pat just talked to him and Gus was listening so hard, cocking his head back and forth. Then with Gus, he started getting the 4 food bowls ready for the dogs. Gabby loves to help with this too. So there is Pat, cockatoo on his shoulder, four dogs around his feet, 2 playing macaws behind him on the couch and Gabby pulling the dog food out of the bowl faster than he can put it in and the whole time he is smiling and talking to them all, even tried to get Bongo to join in! Seeing that i think i would have been overwhelmed, but he was loving it and it showed!

Honeymoons over. He is starting to be not as co operative as he was. Lol The cute little harness he wore, nope, no more. The screaming has begun when he can not see me but thats only when Pat is home or bedtime. He is really afraid of Pat, i am sure it is just men in general but gesh Pat has a lot of work to do lol. I know Pat just wants to show Gus how much he loves him and would never hurt him, it is just breaking Pats heart not to be able too though. I know how he feels though because i go through it with Bubba and Gabby. Well, Bubba is fickle cuz now he nips Pat and i can handle him again! I got a nip by Gus yesterday, not even bad but still a nip. My fault completely though. I have a mini chopper and was chopping up veggies to add to their rice for dinner, broccoli, kale and carrots, yummm lol. He didn't like the chopping and i thought i knew that but Pat was beside me and he started screaming. I was telling him that i had to use it but would be done soon, Pat said it was him being there not the chopper ( its the one that you use your hand to smack the blades down, in a jar ) He was screaming so i went and picked him up, he ran right up my arm, almost on top of my head but got really sweet so i just went about normal finishing the dinner, one smack and down came his beak, grabbed the top of my ear. Flashbacks from the lady we got him from, i knew my ear was going to be gone, lol. He just warned me thank heavens but did however give me a good reminder to be more consistant about the shoulder thing. Most of the time i remove him from my shoulder when he gets up there but then there are just times its so much easier to have use of both hands. I am reminded now that no matter how easy it may be at that moment, one wrong move and blood could be drawn, nothing is harder than damage and pain and blood so i can't put us in that position!

Sometimes I wonder if these guys give us the honeymoon period so that when their true issues surface we can think back and know what kind of companion they're capable of being. I'm sorry you're both getting bitten. It's going to be hard to keep Gus off your shoulder but no matter how handy it is to have both hands free, it's also nice to have both ears. Evens you out aesthetically :) I know we don't have to tell you to be patient. When you get frustrated just think of those of us here that have walked this road with greys and other birds and remind yourself there is peace and joy at the end of the journey.

Oh, and buy some earplugs!

Ahhh, his hormones are raging. No other way to say this so i will just be blunt. The little boy keeps trying to hump me. We had a shoulder free day yesterday, every time he would climb on my arm (step up is getting better but he still steps up backwards ) i would hold his feet so he couldn't climb up and he did great. The screams were even very few also. We decided to let him stay out and eat dinner on his stand so the others could eat in peace, things went great. All the fids were chatting away and whistling and Gus was quiet and content. He had some dinner with me and then we cuddled. He walked around the couch and his first attempt to mate was with my head, i moved him quickly and sat up, next was my leg then my arm then my chest he wouldn't give up so bedtime it was! Looking back he was a sweetheart until he claimed me as his, thats when he started getting brazen, lol. I have changed my petting behaviour, the shoulder issue and the regurging he tries to do on me, maybe he will get past this and be sweet all the time again!

Darn daylight legnth is just right to trigger those cursed hormones, I live with two male Too's and the U2 can be a real handful. this time of year I let him spend so much more cage time than out time for every ones safety. giving him a good sized card board box and a pretend egg so he can sit in there and play with his foot toys gives us some quiet time. Early to bed for both Too's giving them a good 12 hrs night time helps. A tired Too is a grumpy Too. :eek:

Lol, i believe that! My other babies are more tired than he is though. I have heard Bubba tell him to shut up a time or two, Oliver yells back at him. Bubba however has learned the scream so now i have them both screaming from different rooms! My poor poor greys have headaches, i'm sure!

Being he was locked in his cage for the last year, he has tasted freedom and the screams start when bedtime rolls around. He does not want to go to bed, he is just happy happy happy on his stand where he can see me! Bedtime is 8 pm, i wake them around 7:30 - 8 am. (they go to bed at 8, i go to bed at 8:01!)

• 2 weeks later...

Gus has been doing great! Still a big ol mammas boy but thats okay. Had him and Bongo with me on the couch the other night, they both did good, stayed on their own sides for the most part. Bongo groomed his tail feathers a little and Gus was fine with it. Me, i was scared to death, my face was kinda in the middle, lol. Had to give in to him and move his stand to where he can see me in the kitchen. Fingers crossed it helps with the screams while i try to cook. He was on it today and it seemed to help but the real test is going to be when he is use to the new spot! Found a food he likes more than eggs too, bannana oatmeal.

I can only imagine the happy chaos at your house, you have to be on your game to remember what each of them likes (or likes too much in Gus's case, LOL). You are certainly earning your own set of angel wings for the patience and understanding from both you and Pat. I am in awe. Here I have had my hands full dealing just with Gilbert and his many moods and behaviors. I love hearing how all your flock is doing. I imagine they all are quite aware of how blessed they have been to find you.

Thanks! There is learning every day for sure! I am trying to figure out Gus, when i have something he wants, he will grab it and push it at me with a little jump, over and over. I don't know if he is just playing or if it is a dominate kinda thing. He will do this and has fallen off his stand in his excitement or anger. Lol He doesn't bite so i can't figure out what he is trying to tell me!

Ah, great. He has started to love my hubby too. He upchucked on him and spent last evening cuddling with him on the couch. I was happy to have the evening off! All the fids wanted daddy for a change and i took full advantage. Having my calgone moment!

He is a screamer, but only when my hubby comes home. It is driving Pat nuts and i am not sure what to do to help him out. In fact when he gets home Gus, Bubba and Oliver start screaming. I know it is because when he gets home they believe its play time. He always goes right to them, loves and pets them then wants to relax after work but he has already stirred them up. I have asked him to change his routine up but when they start screaming he says the macaws are bored and want to play with each other, Bubba is being picked by Oliver and looks all ratty again! Gus screams period when Pat walks in, i think he is just scared of men. He will calm down after Pat is home and this just takes a few minutes. If he screams when i leave the room, i will talk to him, saying i am here, but won't enter the room again until he stops. The macaws don't scream at all during the day.

Who is home first? If you are there before hubby make it bath time just as he is due in, a wet cockatoo can be a distracted bird who has to groom those very wet feathers. Flock call time may just be the same timing as hubby's return, in that case I suggest either trying to substitute a more acceptable sound for the banshee scream or join in and sing loud and dance in front of his cage, family flock calls.

Pat finally got to see, or hear, first hand how the fids act when he isn't home. He came home sick yesterday, came in and birdies started screaming for his attention. He went right to bed and after a few minutes they stopped and didn't yell again until bedtime. He was stunned to say the least. However not having Pat around made Gus pouty cuz he couldn't get as much one on one time. It was kinda cute though, Gabby knew where Pat was and kept getting on the floor and walking to the door to the bedroom. Just standing infront of it saying hello. I picked her up and opened the door so she could see him and she just did a sympathetic whistle and then was okay. Funny how they really understand.