NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Jake - The Peach Front Conure

danmcq

I got Jake about 8 years ago from a shady guy in San Jose that had cages of parrots in his backyard. He had everything from Macaws to Conures. Jake was over on the side of the house in 1 x 2 foot tiny cage sitting on a self nail to the fence and the guy claimed he was tame...

There was no doubt in my mind after watching Jake flap around while this moron used a glove to grab him and quickly place him in a little cardboard box that he was in no way socialized or even used to people. I truly suspect he is an illegal wild caught Conure, no band the guy was a liar and just wanted a quick 75 bucks for a bird that normally goes for 275 to 300 from a breeder.

Long story short, it took at least a year to get jake to show any interest in us or to step up. I did (much to my disliking and better judgement) clip his wings which left him with no choice but to step up (while biting) to get off the floor which he would flap down to. First I used a small perch to have him step up while moving my hand over time closer and closer to him, so he would get the idea that no harm was going to come to him. Once it got to the point he pretty much started beaking my hand because it was so close to him one inch on the perch, I quit using and started offering my hand only, which he would reluctantly climb on to.

After 2 years, he was actually starting to talk saying "Hello" much to my shock. Today 7 years later he has a limited vocabulary of hello, pretty boy, how are you and some thing that sounds kind of like apple. His main communication is a loud screech and/or squawk for a contact call, let me out of this cage now or where the hell are you.

He loves baths ( as most do) and showers. If he doesn't get one in two days he will use his water bowl do drench himself.

He now shoulder rides everywhere, steps up and loves to sit perched on my wife's or my shoulder snuggled up against our cheek or directly under our chin while watching tv and loves scratches as well.

I think this shows a little insight in to how long a journey getting a new abused/wild caught parrot can be to get them to the point of accepting a human flock with their little heart and mind as their flock that will protect and provide for them unconditionally.

0901170002.jpg

Jake wanting a bath and Dayo trying his damnedest to stop him video:

Kim&Jake.JPG

Reduced_HangingPlaygym2.jpg

Jake_Before_Bath.jpg

Edited by danmcq

Dan, thank you for sharing Jake with us! I totally love little Jakie!!! Now that I know he is a Peach Front, I can look into them. When I think back, I remember when Jake went of an adventure, I was so delighted when he came home! Now remember to share Jake with us more. I bet he has lots of stories!

Dan, that is a wonderful story. I am so happy you shared that with us. It is a testament to how long it can take for an abused bird to come around. He looks beautiful and is really thriving on your tlc.

I have the same hanging stand in your middles picture. Nilah loves it!

dan, jake is one handsome man!!!! i'm so happy you found him and he's getting the love and attention he deservies!

athena is now almost 9 1/2 years old. she's our 1st bird. she thinks she's the biggest bird ever created in the entire universe, lol! she and our oldest grandson have the exact same birthday, which he thinks is pretty cool! we've had athena since she was old enough to be sold. she was such a snuggly little bird, all fluffed up in a little green fuzz ball! she apparently decided at about age 1 that she was too old and dignified to snuggle any more!! we didn't do dna until she was 2 years old. that's when we found out she was really a he, hahahahaha!!! but to us, she'll always be a she. she started talking on her own and says lots of things she just decided she liked the sound of. she rarely learns words i really try to teach her! she says baby, big baby, baby bird, big bird, big girl, pretty girl, bird, birdie, tickle, tickle tummy, i'm the prettiest girl in the wholest world (she adds more "wholest" if she's really full of herself) fluff fluff fluff little green fuzz ball all fluffed up, take a bath, welcome, beep, good girl, what's ya doing, i see you, peekaboo, daddy bird and some others i only remember when she says them on occasion. she'll take her words and twist them around sometimes, we love it and laugh alot when she does.

she's not a "typical" conure, she's not much of a clown or trickster, not into cuddling unless she's scared. however, once she's done being scared, she'll give a nice bite to let you know cuddle time is over!! she loves, loves, loves her bells. she loves to put her beak and/or head in a bell while standing on one foot then slowly scratch her head and cheeks with her other foot. she hates getting a spray bath, she'll just "endure" it with a look like, just wait until i get your finger close to me, you'll pay for this humiliation!! she loves to bath in her water bowl, all the while saying take a bath!

she's never liked flying, she hovers more than flies and the whole time she's saying everything she knows as fast and as high pitched as she can. i don't know why she doesn't like to fly, but she's always been this way. i've tried everything i can think of to help her, but it just freaks her out! this is the biggest reason we have not yet let both girls out at the same time. kallie is a good flyer so athena wouldn't be able to get away if she needed to.

Dan, I couldn't nag you for a post on Jake because I haven't gotten Java's done yet. This was the highlight of my day to see Jake in his private waterfall, well, except for Dayo pestering him. I know that Jake has pestered Dayo often, so I guess that is to be expected. You were getting Jake at just about the same time we were getting our parrot intro with Java. What a difference a llittle fluff of feathers and down makes in our lives. I love Jake! Today I hit the jackpot and got a two for one with Athena's story too. And if I had the chance to fly, chances are I would be excited and say every word I ever heard too.

Athena sounds like a real character! They are so full of themselves it is interesting just to watch them display all those characteristics. :)

It's really surprising she doesn't care too much for baths or flying. But each one has it's own personality and likes.

Jake jets around all over the place and must be with you wherever your going. If you take off with out him, you with hear bloody hell for it with screams and squawks. It's not but 30 seconds before you hear the sound barrier being broken as he flies to find and perch on you shoulder.

Thanks for sharing this story about Athena. Now where's the photos and any videos you have? :)

hahaha!!! for a conure, she's not very conurish, hahaha!! she is a character. she'll strut around saying what, what, what ......over and over, in the weirdest voice and it's hilarious (its almost like clucking except for the word "what"). she was this way about baths and flying when she was an only bird, so it's just her i guess. i have tried running water at the sink, having a shallow dish with water/water trickling into it, etc, but her water bowl is her favorite bathing place. even where we got her, she "tolerated" being sprayed. her world in her terms!!! she and i have our "beep, beep" or "baby, baby" conversations. she'll say either of those in varying degrees of pitch and emotion and wait for me to answer back. we'll go on for an hour, and i have no idea what we're talking about. right now she's having a "get you, get you, get you" moment, lol!!!

and as for pics and videos-both girls stop what they're doing the minute i pull out my phone!!! (kallie will then of course "answer" the phone - 'hello' or 'how are you' or the famous 'beeeepppp', then "hello" of an answering machine) of course my husband hates that, since so much silliness goes on while he's at work!!! on the rare occasion i do get a pic, it's too big a file to post here!!! i have no idea how to make the pic have less mb's, hahaha!!!

Edited by thenabrd

Great stories! Thanks for sharing! Jake sounds like he's in a much better place just like he deserves and Athena sounds about as silly as they come! I was going to ask if there was a video of Athena but you said she stops when the camera is out. I had to put black tape over the flashing light on my camera and I've learned to sneak around corners to catch them doing something. I would make a great paparazzi!

the problem is we don't have a video camera. we use our phones for pics and video. i can zoom in some, but not much, for pics, but can't zoom at all for video. so i can't sneak it at all since i have to get so close, lol!!! i've even tried to just "record" the words/sounds when i'm in another room, but i swear they both have radar because the minute i start, they stop, even with my phone on silent so it can't make any sound!!! they're both tooooo smart for their britches that's for sure!

You just have to get them used to seeing it pointing at them, it could take months.. It did for dayo, the minute the camera or phone came out, the beak/talking/whistles/sound effects stopped instantly. But after a long time (months) they got to where it was just something we crried around or sat and pointed at them. :)