NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Found bird - Fitchburg, MA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SERIOUSLY.......??????? You have got to be kidding! How dare you ignore my efforts, you had my info, at the very least, you could have called me. But for whatever reason, a 30 second phone call didn't seem to fit into your busy life. If you think I am not busy, you are sadly mistaken. You have NO IDEA!

You say things take time? Well, it has been 2 months, and no contact from either one of you, even after multiple attempts of leaving messages. Like I said before, you aren't the only one who understands the job issues with an ACO, perhaps you didn't read my earlier post. That is WHY many of us had VOLUNTEERED OUR TIME AND EFFORTS in OUR busy lives to try and lighten the load.

DON'T YOU COME ON AND THREATEN ME WITH "PLAY NICELY". You are messing with the wrong admin.........

And to clarify, we are mad at the ACO for NOT accepting the help, or at least telling us she's not interested in our help.

Perhaps if you just came on here and explained that you had health issues and your time on the internet was so limited, we would have understood. Perhaps, an "Here's an update from you", would have appeased us, but instead you chose to come here and get defensive. Re read my posts, you will see that it was the ACO I was MAD at, not YOU.

Edited by Talon

I'm not messing or kidding. I JUST PICKED THE BIRD UP YESTERDAY. I don't have cell phone reception in the middle of nowhere NH and only have intermittent internet while I am at work. I never said YOU were not busy either. Suzy had blown me off a few times and I have been SICK - WTF do you want from me? A frickin miracle? I finally get on here after not being able to for some time and you are telling everyone how I fell off the face of the earth??? YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME PERSONALLY. I come first in MY life. I repeat - I HAVE BEEN SICK. I am honestly telling you that I have not gotten another message from you since you left me your contact details. Was I supposed to call you to tell you that I still didn't have the bird? I also never asked anyone else to do any work, I simply put out the word that a bird was found. I am not an idiot or a bad person. DONT TREAT ME LIKE ONE.

I never meant to treat you like you were a bad person, I was upset that YES, you did fall of the face of the earth, as you were our only help regarding this bird because of the actions of the ACO. Please understand, that we as bird owners, LOVE every bird we hear about. We feel an attachment for that bird in helping it in any way we can. I KNOW you felt the same when you heard about this lost bird, if you didn't, you never would have posted this.

We all want the same thing, FOR THIS BIRD TO GO HOME.........nothing more, nothing less. Please understand, that my my point of view, I spent so many hours of my day instead of working, trying to HELP. Thus when my calls and emails go unanswered, it is frustrating, upsetting, and that breeds frustrated anger.

Let's HELP each other from here on out.

Agreed. We can work together but lets not let frustration get in the way again. I am not Suzy, I can't account for her not taking calls or making an effort. I will work and consider other methods but I unfortunately have to provide her solid proof before I can release the bird to anyone. I have listed my methods of acceptable information and if there is a match, I am not against a meeting between human & bird. My only goal here is to get this bird back to the person who lost it, as I am sure that is the overall objective of everyone on this board. Let's not take our eyes off the prize!

Sounds good to me, I agree with all your methods of proving ownerhsip, I wouldn't want it any other way. HOWEVER........HOW DO WE GET IN CONTACT WITH YOU, if there is a potential owner? There lies the problem......no body has any contact info for you, and as you said, for whatever reason, you never received my emails.........

Mandy I thank you for sticking with us even when being slammed due to lack of understanding your situation, we all just want the best for this Grey bird. I also do rescue work and have a family and am a cancer survivor so I do understand how big your heart is.

Thanks, but I think it was more of a misunderstanding on mine & Talon's behalf. We have squared that away and things are on the up & up :)

This is my first rescue and I am excited to try and help this little bugger find his way back to his human companion - no matter how long it takes. I am a firm believer in not giving up!

Thanks, but I think it was more of a misunderstanding on mine & Talon's behalf. We have squared that away and things are on the up & up :)

This is my first rescue and I am excited to try and help this little bugger find his way back to his human companion - no matter how long it takes. I am a firm believer in not giving up!

THANK YOU MADMANDY! You said it exactly right, we are on the same page and want the same things. :)

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone :) a quick update as it has been some time since I was last on here. My foster has become an adoptee & we are calling him/her Pip (short for pipsqueak)

I was told I could take my parrot alert ad down but I will not be doing so. I have talked to 4 lost bird owners since July, so far without luck in finding an owner. As attached as I may be, if the owner is still looking, Pip will go home one day.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Well, 16 months later, and we have a WINNER!!! Pip's human found us after all this time!! Pip is really a girl named Larry, she will be 4 this year, and in a few weeks, her human will come to visit us to see if there is a lingering bond between them. A bittersweet victory as we have grown to really love Pip over the last 14 months (She spent 2 months with ACO before coming to us). Between the tears, (mine & her owner's) we have decided to let Pip/Larry be the decision maker in who stays where or goes where. Just wanted to update everyone :)

So here's the scoop, I bird sit for my mom on a frequent basis (she has a CAG) while she was traveling as my dad was working all over the states. When she finally came home for good, we decided her bird would stay with me because he was being moved back & forth too much. Months later, we decided to sell our house & because we had to paint, we decided it was time for Ringer to go home to mom. I've known one of the local ACO's for a few years & we talk birds all the time. One day last May, she called me up to say that she had captured a Grey & wanted to know if she could borrow a cage (I kept all of my stuff for Ringer). Needless to say I let her borrow the cage. About a week went by & she called me back because she was having trouble getting the cage situated. I went over & set it up & let her know I was free to foster this bird if she needed (she has a Goffin & another large cockatoo, a few cats & a few dogs, plus she works 60+ hours a week). About a month later she asked me if the offer to foster still stood, which of course it did, I missed having Ringer, we were settled in our new home & the timing was perfect. I picked the bird up on July 12, 2 months after she was captured. I fielded calls & emails, placed ads on Craigslist & ParrotAlert911 and responded to everyone that contacted me. Nobody could match the band info, the bird didn't respond to any of the photos I was showing it or having any real reaction to different names & sayings. After 2 months nobody contacted me again & we decided that the bird needed a name. We settled on Pipsqueak & she grew to respond to that name. Yesterday, I got an email from PA911 & as soon as I read it, I knew Pips human had found us, at last. Unfortunately, during the 14 months I've had Pip, she has bonded with the whole family. I spent my afternoon in tears knowing that the person on the other end of that email was the owner of this bird. My husband is devastated as we were told long ago that we could consider the bird ours. Adopted, no longer a foster. Today I had a great (also tearful on both ends) conversation with the owner, verified the band info and found out that Pip's name is Larry, she will be 4 this December. On the morning she was lost, she was. taken outside for their regular coffee break. Larry wasn't a strong flyer so she wasn't worried about her taking off as this was their regular routine. Well, that day Larry flew around a bit as usual and then flew away. Her owner followed her around town, climbing trees, & calling for her. Finally, Larry took flight one more time but she went so high & so far her owner lost sight of her but she did see 2 large hawks in the area & assumed the worst. I hate to say it but she stopped lookin, never even contacted animal control, just accepted that Larry was gone. That tid bit of info really bums me out...she just gave up. The other day, her & here. watching videos on YouTube & she figured she would just do a quick Google search...of course my ad came up & she sent me an email. We will be meeting in my home next month (schedule conflicts) to determine if there is a lingering bond between them it if Pip/Larry is fully bonded with her new flock. She said she was really happy that someone who cared this much ended up with the bird & if Pip doesnt react to her & is bonded with us, she wont jeopardize Pip's mental/emotional well being and Pip will remain here. I'm torn to think of loosing this bird, but if that's how it goes, i know i did a GREAT thing for both of them & I will always cherish the time we had with this special special girl.

I hope you'll never know the feelings of losing you companion. After recently losing our son and Spock shortly there after, Maggie and I are pulling for the original owner. We've heard MadMandy's opinion of the owner, this is hearsay, it might be true but is just MadMandys opinion nothing more and she writes it "mater of factly" as if she was there. Dan, please this is not against you in any way, just our feelings.

Jay and Maggie

And Solomon said....................................................................

Edited by Jayd

Wow, amazing story! I am sure the human owner is missing the bird, but if i am the original owner and i know my bird is with someone "I would never wait for a month"!!! I would drive, fly or do anything to get my bird back. It is also sad that you may lose the bird after keeping it for 14 months. I hope all goes well for all parties.

Your right, that's my opinion of how it went...., I don't want you to think I was being negative about the owner. We spoke for an hour today, she told me her version of events and I filled her in on the after events. Personally, I hope she does still have a bond with the bird, she hand reared her and through all of this, my intentions were to find the bird's owner. I didn't ask her to consider leaving the bird with me, she broached the subject. Owners make mistakes all the time, she didn't know her regular morning routine would go haywire (if that can even be considered a mistake...). It's heart breaking to develop that bond & then let go, but that's a risk you take when you take in a "foster". I appreciate all the positive comments, and I'm glad that these two are even getting the chance for reunion because I know too many birds & owners don't get that chance. I've had 24 hours to digest the news, and like I said, even if its goodbye, I got to spend some time with a very special little girl. Heartbroken yet happy.. bittersweet ;)