NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Found bird - Fitchburg, MA

African grey (not sure if Timineh or Congo) found May 12 flying around in Fitchburg, MA. Currently being held by animal control. I am dropping off a cage for them to use temporarily but so far, they have been unable to locate an owner. They did say it was posted on parrot alert. Call Animal Control at 978-353-2307

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I found a lady in NY who may be this birds owner. The band letters match. She is so distraught over losing her bird. I hope and pray this is her bird.......of course it is the weekend and we are unable to locate the person caring for it . I will keep you guys posted.

Hi Talon, if she can't match the band info, Suzie more than likely won't let the bird go. I hope she can match it!! Suzie has had a few people call but so far, nobody can match the band info. Do you happen to have it? I have Suzie's personal phone # so I can call her. I wish I had gotten this message this weekend, I would have called her!! You can send a private message with the details if you would like me to forward to Suzie! Thanks!!

Not everyone writes down their band info......there ARE other ways of the owner identifying thei bird. Sounds, words they speak, songs they may sing. Just seeing the owner with the bird would be another way to determine if the birds knows the personor not.

I understand and agree. But unfortunately, I think Suzie is set on matching band info. I will talk to her about using other methods for ID & see if I can persuade her to consider other methods. I agree that seeing an owner with the bird & the reactions between the 2 are good indicators of who belongs to who. The bird has been very quiet (making only a few sounds and not saying too many words) but it is currently in a loud busy home with multiple animals. I am hoping to foster the bird (Suzie called me on Weds to ask if I still could)...my house is quieter and I have a small dog (who is also quiet, unless daddy is pulling in the driveway...LOL) so maybe I can get a better idea of sounds & words from the bird. She did have one request to have the bird seen by a vet for DNA testing but she believes it is an unnecessary stress for the bird. I will see what I can do!!

I will give you a call once I talk to Suzie, which will hopefully be today.

Okay, thanks, she never returns my emails or calls.....I do need to know, has the bird been checked for a micro chip? That's important, as I have someone who's bird is banded and micro chipped waiting to hear if this bird has a chip. It's easy to check for that, no fee involved. Forgive me, but Suzie doesn't seem very easy to work with on this.

I'm not sure if it has been checked for a chip. I will ask her when we chat & let you know. She delays in returning my calls as well but she is the only animal control officer in Fitchburg (which is a good size city) and she doesn't have much help...1 assistant who isn't always around to assist so she puts in about 80+ hours a week.

Do you know any of the sounds/words the NY owner's bird makes? If Suzie doesn't have time, maybe I can get a better idea of what to listen for?? Please let me know. Thanks!

The woman from NY. Said her bird is quiet, nervous and doesn't like strangers. But that's most congo's. Her birds name is Charlie, and she said her bird knows it's name very well. It is a female and she has had it since it was a weaned baby, it is 6 years old. She is so distraught.....:(. Oh, and she doesn't have ALL the band info, only that it starts with the same 2 letters that this found bird has. She did not have any prior info on this found bird until I contacted her and quizzed her on band info, so I know she's telling me the truth. (not posting here for obvious reasons)

Then other woman I have been talking to, her bird is a male, name PAcheo, banded, no band I fo, but IS avian micro chipped. Her bird has a song it likes to sing.

PLEASE KEEP IN CONTACT WITH ME. I EMAILED AND PM 'd YOU MY PHONE NUMBER.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread. The AFO in Fitchburg MA is not returning phone calls or emails in regards to this bird. I have had many owners trying to get in touch with her. Some have called her as many as 15 times, she has been ignoring us all. Madmandy has disappeared off the face of the earth as well. Both have my email address, phone numbers, I have left many emails and calls and they are blowing us all off.

As ACO it is their JOB to return animals to their owners, this woman apparently doesn't think this bird deserves or needs it's owners. She is a disgrace to ACO in my opinion. She has many of us VOLUNTEERING our time and efforts in trying to reunite this bird with it's family, but she turns her nose up at us all. I am FURIOUS at this!!!!!

Bottom line here, this bird has no chance of going home.

She may deserve some slack.

If this branch is anything like ours, they're stretched too thin & there's far & away too much for them to handle. I couldn't be an ACO. It would break my heart in a week & I'd have an extremely hard time keeping myself in check with the "human beings" responsible.

But if that isn't the case, I couldn't agree with you more. It's extremely sad to think that bird could have gotten home by now.

I really hope this ends well & it's great that you've done so much to try to make it happen.

If this branch is anything like ours, they're stretched too thin & there's far & away too much for them to handle. I couldn't be an ACO. It would break my heart in a week & I'd have an extremely hard time keeping myself in check with the "human beings" responsible.But if that isn't the case, I couldn't agree with you more. It's extremely sad to think that bird could have gotten home by now.

I really hope this ends well & it's great that you've done so much to try to make it happen.

She had plenty of slack. But when you continually ignore potentially owners, She ran out of slack. I an know newcomer to the extensive duties and time constraints of an ACO. My sister was an ACO for many years, and my best friend also was an ACO both in 2 different cities. I understand that yes, ACO's are spread way too thin. That is WHY I and a handful of others have volunteered our time and efforts to help thus freeing her up for other duties. She has treated us and lost bird owners very hostile and unwilling to hear anything we have to say in helping this bird go home.

Perhaps this lady wants to keep the grey for herself???? Before I got Louie from a private party, I tried to contact a couple of rescue places. At a couple no return calls and at one with a lilac zon I finally got a call from a lady who was in charge who thought I would be a great parront. I told her I was sorry but after waiting a month for an answer to my e-mail with stats about me I assumed I did not qualify for some reason or two and starting looking privately. It seems that the lady who I had been working with "dropped the ball" so to say and the boss lady was very apologetic. I almost chose to take the rescue but fortunately commonsense took over and I declined. Working with Louie, he is still a very leery guy, and Ana Grey's jealousy issues are very time consuming. Or course, my daughter is very relived about my decision!!!!

It seems that the lady who I had been working with "dropped the ball" so to say and the boss lady was very apologetic. I almost chose to take the rescue but fortunately commonsense took over and I declined.
Could you please explain this so I could understan it? I don't know that expression and context is not helping me in this case.

I haven't disappeared, I made it very clear that I have limited internet access. I also have some personal medical problems that are lingering and its important to me that I am healthy. If I am not healthy, I can't provide for my family, nevermind help this bird. Suzie is the only person in the Animal Control dept for Fitchburg which is a large city, she covers shelters in 3 other towns, and also has her own life problems to deal with.

I picked the bird up last night (7/12/11) but after reading your comments, I'm not sure I'd want to work with you either, you seem to be as forceful as you claim Suzy is negligent. Things take TIME, I know, even in the age of everything being INSTANT...believe it or not, things DO take time.

You can give my information to whomever you like, they can provide band info, photos, a list of things the bird does/says, bird names and I will try everything I can to get this bird to its RIGHTFUL owner but I can tell you this, the bird will NOT be released just because someone THINKS it MAY BE theirs. I will be seeing an avian vet at MY convenience to have his wings clipped and have the bird checked for a microchip as well. Maybe I'll post my findings...but only if we agree to play NICELY.

It is important to ME that the bird go back to its rightful owner, I would be devastated if Ringer were gone & there was no help but I wouldn't GIVE UP just because things aren't happening as quickly as I would like. Here's to not GIVING UP.

just wanted to update this thread. The afo in fitchburg ma is not returning phone calls or emails in regards to this bird. I have had many owners trying to get in touch with her. Some have called her as many as 15 times, she has been ignoring us all. Madmandy has disappeared off the face of the earth as well. Both have my email address, phone numbers, i have left many emails and calls and they are blowing us all off.

As aco it is their job to return animals to their owners, this woman apparently doesn't think this bird deserves or needs it's owners. She is a disgrace to aco in my opinion. She has many of us volunteering our time and efforts in trying to reunite this bird with it's family, but she turns her nose up at us all. I am furious at this!!!!!

Bottom line here, this bird has no chance of going home.

Penny, i have not received a single email from you. Ever. I got 1 pm from you with your info, which I still have on hand.

Edited by MadMandy
not completed

If this branch is anything like ours, they're stretched too thin & there's far & away too much for them to handle. I couldn't be an ACO. It would break my heart in a week & I'd have an extremely hard time keeping myself in check with the "human beings" responsible.

But if that isn't the case, I couldn't agree with you more. It's extremely sad to think that bird could have gotten home by now.

She is stretched thin. Her job is her passion but the humans suck as does the funding for her department of 1 - she is severely limited and it's not by her choice.

No, I would not just turn them away. My own mother doesn't have her birds band info written down. I would like to know why veterinarians are not recording this information...it would be helpful to the human in the event of a lost bird. If you read the other posts before everyone got all mad that I wasn't on here everyday, I agree that there are other ways to ID an animal besides just matching the band info.

I would ask for photos of them with the bird, and a list of things the bird does & says to see if they are behaviors that are displayed while the bird is in my home. If the potential owner gave me some info to watch for / listen for and I saw that happening with the bird, I would likely try to arrange for a meeting between human & bird. I know birds can recognize someone they know...even if its been a while since they have seen them. I will be taking the bird to the vet in the next few weeks (I work full time & have prior commitments/appointments that I need to keep) to get wings clipped & check to see if it microchipped. Let me know if you have any more questions. I will do my best to make a timely response. Thanks!