NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Zon's DIET !

Jayd

:) Bird food, my favorite subject......Sorry I didn't do this earlier..

A Amazon's natural habitat covers a very large area, there are some small differences from species to species, in general their diet is the same.

In their natural habitat they eat: Seeds, Fruits and berry's, Flowers, Dirt and Insects. Zon's are big eaters, most of the time and not to picky. Zon's do have some what of a eating problem which in turn causes health problems.

Fatty tumors, Cholesterol, Heart disease are all to common with our fine Zon companions. Diet is extremly important to these little guys, and its so easy for us to forget because we enjoy watching the devour whatever we give them.

Okay, a Zon needs a low fat high, low Carb high protein diet for the most part. Veggies, grains [brown or wild rice], some Legumes, Seeds, at least 1 almond a day,[no more than 5 striped sunflower seeds in the shell a day]A low fat high protein pellet [about 2 tablespoons a day]. They need Omega 3 and 6 [MOST IMPORTANT]. A good sorce of these is Wild salmon 2 or 3 times a week. A chicken drum stick with most of the meat pulled off 2 times a week is a great source of protein, they'll eat the marrow after cracking the bone.[lol] Fruit, very important to a Zon's diet, Mangoes, Papaya, orange's [1/4 slice, rind on] Blackberry's, blueberry's. Few grapes, watermelon. Pomegranates, banana's are all good choices...GREEN LEAFY VEGGIES, #1. We also give our Zon's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and wild Honey [All our Fid's] We heat 8oz purified water which we add 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp Wild organic honey, cool to 109 degrees, and serve each of our fid's about one to two tbsp each, they love it.[then I drink whats left] I'll add more as time goes on.

Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd
corrected spelling

When we rehomed Cricket she was extremely over weight and spent many years in a cage that was 16x16x24h and had a history of aggression to human and animals alike and she was on a all seed diet and peanuts. The cage was so small she could not spread her wings at all. And she could noy fly at all.

We did not want to take her, but we did.

On our two day trip back from Florida to Ohio with Cricket, She did not show any aggression towards me whitch I found strange.

First thing first. We put her in a larger cage and than change her diet. The diet change was drastic from the start. Veges, fruit, pellets and greens.

OK the point is Cricket is at 400 grams and she now can fly and she has a happy look about her. In Less than three weeks I could hold her and play with her. I bleve that the change in diet had a lot to do with her turn around not only in health but in her attitude. She has turned out to be very sweet, gentel and loveable.

We beleve that she was 500 grams or more when she came home with us. She was huge.

Ray, my friend, I agree with you in your logic and your deductions completely. I feel that diet not only improves and increases longevity, as well as attitude. There is a large difference between a Grey and a Zon as I know you well know... It is also your attitude and compassion that has turned all your fids and furs around.

Thank you!

We also give our Zon's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and wild Honey [All our Fid's] We heat 8oz purified water which we add 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp Wild organic honey, cool to 109 degrees, and serve each of our fid's about one to two tbsp each, they love it.[then I drink whats left] I'll add more as time goes on.

I feel like I'm intruding here in this thread for some reason, haha, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting about the ACV. I've been doing some reading on that recently; I keep the organic stuff in the house for myself, and I clean with the lesser-quality generic kind, but until recently I only started hearing about it being used to benefit parrots as well (internally). I spray it on the dog and cats regularly to help keep the fleas down in the summer, and it works wonders for them (I'm sure they consume some of it when they lick themselves afterward), so it's nice to see that it can be so helpful to a flock as well. :)

At this point I am contemplating adopting a 10yo Panama Amazon and this is GREAT information! I leave bowls with Harrison's organic pellets out all day for my grey and his usual bowl of whatever fruits and vegetables are in season with a mix of cooked grains, beans, sweet potato, and topped with palm oil and chia seed.

So tell me, this is how I feed my grey, how would I change what I do for an Amazon? I certainly want to improve the life situation of this little amazon. He is visibly not in optimal health. His feathers are not glossy and his beak is flaking. I also think a little sunshine would do wonders for him as he has lived under another bird cage in a roomful of birds with no windows for three years! He is sweet though.

• 1 month later...

Is the Zon's diet basically the same as a Grey's?

Is the do and do not list of safe foods the same?

How about a hard boiled egg?

There are a few things I'm not sure about with grey's, like radish (not just the greens) or red cabbage.

I have fresh veggies growing and I need to know what is safe for sure before we share!

When I first got my BFzon, he was overweight. I feed him the same as Ana Grey, he just eats a little more because he is much larger. Now that Louie flies everyday and is very active, he has slimmed down and looks marvelous. I give both my parrots, hard boiled eggs now and then and at least once a week I chopped up fresh vegetables, radishes, carrots, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts (whatever is handy) and give them to my birdies. I don't give my parrots much meat, as they do not like it very much. Dried vegetables and seeds and nuts are always around for them. A piece of apple or other fruit is something they like here and there. Both birdies have healthy appetites and fly around the house all day long. So yes, I use the same dos and don'ts for both parrots.

• 2 months later...