NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gilbert is home

katana600

Thanks for sharing our joys with us. Gilbert just has the greatest spirit and I am seeing some of his personality emerge as he gets more and more comfortable and settled. He just loves his new cage and is the king of his domain. He takes an almond from anyone in the family now and he sits on top of the door to his cage and allows them to step within inches to talk to him without wigging out or giving them the cobra sway. This weekend we had a neighborhood gathering and I came home to get Gilbert in his backpack and took him up for about fifteen minutes. He was quiet, taking it all in, but he accepted it in stride and came back home to settle happily back in his cage, none the worse for his wear. I just can't wait to see what his confidence brings to our family next. And thanks Lyn for the vote of confidence. The truth is, I have all the time to devote to this little guy right now and he has been the saving grace for me when I was lost through our grief. He makes me smile every day and has just been a champion in my book. Every time I find something he enjoys, I just marvel at his character. I learn something new from him every day.

Dee you continue to amaze me with how well things are going with Gilbert, you two are exactly what each needs and I love hearing your comments on what he has accomplished so far, who would have thought you two would be interacting so well and he hasn't been in your care that long when you think about it, you have made great strides and there will be many more to come, now if we could get a few more pictures it would be perfect.

We have something new every day. I will try to get pictures for you. He has stepped up from my hand to David and was in a hellfire hurry to get back to momma. The next day he did the same for my daughter. I could not be happier at his outlook, he just makes me so happy every day. Last night I heard a blast from his past. He had a man in his life called Jim. On occasion he calls out to Jim and it sounds a little pitiful like he is trying to get Jim to come to him. Last night a naughty neighbor dog came into our yard and our little dogs were barking. When my husband opened the door to chase off the intruder, Gilbert called out "Jim!" in a tone as if he was calling in the Calvary. I am working on getting him to shout "Security! Security!" when he is looking for a rescue. LOL. It has been such a whirlwind with him every day I forget he has been here such a short time. I am in awe of him every single day. I appreciate so much the opportunity to share his life. Will see if I can remember my photobucket or YouTube usernames and passwords to post a couple short videos. I love this guy!

He was hanging off the outside of the bottom of his cage. In the time it took to turn on my camera phone the little scallywag scaled to the top and was almost too quick to snap a picture. It is a start until I learn how to use the telephoto lens. He is a busy little fellow.

scallywag.jpg

My joy is magnified by sharing with you. Every day I think that I can not believe my good fortune. The past is gone, it shaped me and gave me patience and strength and Gilbert was out there the whole time getting ready to come to me. All I know is life is good with Gilbert.

What great video Dee - he is so enjoying those tickles, and what a charmer he is giving you kissies like that!! Love the scallywag photo too - he looks so much more relaxed now! Good going x

Edited by pearllyn
spelling mistake!

We had another "first" this weekend. I was scheduled to travel with a friend and was apprehensive about leaving Gilbert behind at this early point in our trust and bonding. My daughter came home from school and has been here a couple of weeks and offered to stay home with him. We have been having success with him stepping up to family and recently to a brave friend. The first day, Gil would not come out of his cage and we thought this was good in case he would refuse to go back in and perhaps would not step up from his cage for someone else. The next day, he came out, talked and was relaxed and happy and obliged to go back inside at bedtime for an almond offering. When I came home after being gone three whole days and two nights he was chatty and happy as if nothing happened. I believe he slept better than his mama Dee did. I was practicing because we are going to fly to a wedding on a long weekend in a couple of weeks. I was prepared to drive back home five and a half hours if he was troubled, but this went better than I hoped it would. Every day he does seem to let down another part of his guarded behavior and I am just beyond delighted to see him letting others near his cage. My daughter called me the first morning to say he was her buddy when she gave him his warm bean mix. It is good for all of us that he is willing to meet us half way. He is getting new feathers on his whole chest and tummy and I am pretty sure he has more wing feathers too. Today when I took the dogs out, he came down from his cage to come looking for me. We pulled up carpet from my bedroom to replace flooring and he must have wanted to see what all the pounding was about. That is the farthest he has explored on his own. It is one thing to get a baby and have all the "firsts" but an older bird is teaching me some new tricks too. I LOVE having him grace my home with his abounding good spirit and energy. I try to think I deserve this but I just feel ever so lucky and blessed.

Aah bless you - of course you deserve it....every bit as much as Gil deserves you, and I don't think there is anyone here who would say any different! It's just brilliant to know that he's coping happily while you are away (cos that's a big worry), and it's great to hear he has new growth coming in too! x

Aah bless you - of course you deserve it....every bit as much as Gil deserves you, and I don't think there is anyone here who would say any different! It's just brilliant to know that he's coping happily while you are away (cos that's a big worry), and it's great to hear he has new growth coming in too! x

Ditto that!

Thanks for cheering for our relationship. What I mean to say is that Gilbert's trust at this particular time in his life is a choice. Everyone deserves this kind of happy ending story, it is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I am so very much aware that the predictability that I strive to provide for Gilbert has been a part of his choices, but for some reason he came into my life when we needed each other and we both are learning to take courage, try something new and one day of love and success just seems to bring us another day of "firsts". If I am over the moon with his acceptance, none of you will be able to stand it when he takes his first flight with us. He is regaining a few small feathers on his chest and I have seen some new pin feathers on his wings. Last night when he jumped off the cage door to go to the floor, I saw the first time for him to beat his wings and slow his landing. He landed on his feet! I am so much in awe of his vitality and energy and willingness to try new things and be my little buddy. He is just awesome and I am appreciative of this chance to have a bond with him.

Last night when he jumped off the cage door to go to the floor, I saw the first time for him to beat his wings and slow his landing. He landed on his feet! I am so much in awe of his vitality and energy and willingness to try new things and be my little buddy. He is just awesome and I am appreciative of this chance to have a bond with him.

That is wonderful Dee! He knows those wings are for something and found the right use. :)

Thanks for sharing this millisecond of your daily lives together.

We have had a rough patch that didn't last long but will be forever memorable. We are removing carpet and installing a floating vinyl floor. We have had a long week of work and a helper in and out of the house. When we were working upstairs, we were sliding the empty box tops down the stairs and I would warn Gilbert that it was coming. He was making his dropping bomb sounds and chatty but was staying inside his cage. At the end of about three days of work, he came out on his cage and I was really tired and as I talked to him and reached for him, he bit me three times before I could comprehend what he was doing. I told him it hurt and he scared me and he scuttled into his cage. In the meantime I thought it would be a good idea to close the door on the top side corner, nesting box door. He did some kind of star trek move and transported himself from one side of the cage to the door and attacked me in a flurry and bit me three or four more times through the bars! Wow. I gave him some time to sort things out and came back to talk to him. He was receptive and bowed his head for a scratch and quickly bit me a couple more times. Just a few minutes later he was whistling and talking and I have to say, I was a little afraid to approach him, but I did and he let me scratch his head like nothing ever happened. At bedtime he hunkered down and refused to step up and I have never seen such a glowering grouchy face. The honeymoon is officially over. First, I considered allowing him to stay on his cage top and even turned out the lights but decided I needed to set a precedent as well as keep him safe. So, I sat quietly in the room talking and singing to him and he responded pleasantly. When he was ready, he came to me and sat on my knee. It took him longer to warm up and approach me for a scritch. But we made ammends and he went to bed happy. The next day we had company coming and still worked on the floors. At one point, I stopped for a break and lay on the sofa and Gilbert shocked me by saying softly "I sorry". I could not believe it but he has been saying it over and over to me today. I was telling him I was sorry for all the noise and he was saying "Gilbert okay". I can not begin to express how amazed I am that he is so perceptive and willing to give me a complete turnaround. I have to say that it would be easy to be hesitant to get close to him after the flurry and fury of his attack when he lost his mind for a moment. But, we are both realizing that he has been here such a short time and we turned it back around to being sweet again and both of us learned something. We are here for each other, good and bad, we are willing to learn and trust and the affection and love is back with a new respect and no serious harm was done on either part. Whew.

At one point, I stopped for a break and lay on the sofa and Gilbert shocked me by saying softly "I sorry". I could not believe it but he has been saying it over and over to me today. I was telling him I was sorry for all the noise and he was saying "Gilbert okay".

Wow! That is so amazing! Sorry you guys had a rough patch, but somehow it sounds like you are even closer than you were before. You both are amazing.

He is very special. He has been trying out some new words and muttering to himself so I know he is up to something. I had read the post from MarcusCAG and thought at first I was imagining the "I sorry" but my family heard it and for two days he has been saying it over and over again and even changing it a bit to say "Gilbert sorry". He is still a little quiet, but has been happy to sit with me and have his head scratched. My fingers are still sore from the onslaught, but I have been thinking about this from his perspective. We were tearing up carpets, moving furniture, putting things in boxes, with new people coming in and out of our house. From what I understand Gilbert has been rehomed a few times. When Sarah picked him up from a previous owner, he was packed to move the next day and said Gilbert had to go. It is heartbreaking to think how that must have made him feel. Along with the "I sorry" he has also been plaintively calling the name of a previous companion "Jim". I have reassured him we are not going anywhere. He has been reassuring himself several times a day "Gilbert okay". I am the one who is sorry he has been unsettled and I wasn't thinking ahead, but he is okay again and we are learning every day.

Wow... I was just planning on lurking here for the night (it's been something of a long day) and simply reading over the different threads that caught my eye, but I just had to log in and say something when I read your last couple of posts.

I read your comment at my new thread, about how you see some similarities between your Gilbert and my Marcus. Now I understand what you're talking about! I felt a little scared for you when you said Gilbert attacked you like that, but reading your follow-up comment about thinking about how he had been moved before--it makes perfect sense. He probably saw all those big pieces moving, and everything all in disarray, and it brought back such memories... he must be so happy and contented with you now that the thought of leaving such a secure and loving place made him go ballistic! And after he apparently had to leave behind someone else whom he loved very much. So sad! I'm just so happy that you and Gilbert are together now, and that he has faith in your reassurance that you two are together for good. Heart-hugs from Marcus and me to you both.

I firmly believe our birds bite as a last recourse when their subtle body language is not recognized. Gilbert was quieter and was retreating inside his cage and I didn't notice his posture when he came out as everything got quiet and back to normal. I was exhausted and had been otherwise occupied. Once he did bite me, I became a better observer. While I was shocked at the sustained attack and how he actually chased me, I tried hard not to cause him any more upset by yelling. I told him it hurt and it scared me and gave him some time to get calm, then left the door open until he was the one to make the first move. It is all a learning process and I was enjoying so much his willingness to be close to me, I did forget that he is just getting to know me, and that weekend, I became unpredictable to him. He is back to his happy little self again and that is the important thing to me. It would be easy to hold back and be afraid while almost every finger on both hands has punctures, I recognize he was holding back because they were tiny nips compared to his capability. I like to think of this as a detour rather than a setback and he has given me the grace to move forward and not hold a grudge.

You have such a way with words, katana600, and your love for Gilbert just shines through... I really shouldn't be online any longer, I need to get back to work here, but I just wanted to post a quick reply and say again how happy I am that you two are working through everything together and are so patient with one another. It just makes me so happy for you both. :)

It is wonderful to hear of the relationship and dynamics going on that is shaping it. Your thoughts on Gilberts actions and body language are spot on. They are lightening fast, aren't they? You can can nailed and be bleeding before the electrical impulse has time to travel up the nerve system and be processed by your brain. :P You are and will continue to learn those very small and sometimes almost imperceptible signs that is saying very loudly "Back Off!". I still miss them at times and get nailed, in fact I would probably be accurate in saying I get a nip just about daily. Of course I am a rather brazen person and like interacting with Dayo at a play level that equals rough housing which he loves and sometimes gets over excited during those sessions.

Edited by danmcq

Of course I am a rather brazen person and like interacting with Dayo at a ply level that equals rough housing which he loves and sometimes gets over excited during those sessions.

I think you just like getting bit by Dayo and can't make it thru a day unless you get nailed! Love it.