NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gilbert is home

katana600

My sincerest apologies!!! Due to conditions, I can only read a paragraph or two at a time and then I have to rest for a while and get back to it later. It has taken me many days to get through your posts and others...the same thing holds through for my replies and posts. Thank God for Maggie that she can make sense of what I am trying to convey and she can type it out for me. Gilbert is fortunate to have the mom of bird moms to be his cornerstone. Gilbert and the loves before him were all meant to be...you know this. One thing you will find out is that some of the things he says now and how he says them will change in the future, showing that he is replacing the past with the present. You'll recognize this as a sign of complete trust and acceptance. Gonna rest now...to be continued...thank you for sharing with all of us...something you are so good at....giving.

Love,

Jay and Maggie

I don't know what happened to me, I lost my head and missed some posts. Thanks for sticking with us. I am just totally smitten with Gilbert and my family is getting in on the action from a safe distance. He is getting where he will let me scratch his head when he is on the cage top with someone standing just inches away. Slowly slowly we are working to get him comfortable with the rest of the family. Everyone is safe to give him his night time almond. He is gentle and takes it graciously. For a little while, he would fling it to the floor after accepting it and now he is content to take it and eat it and ask for more. We went to see Rio last weekend and it gave me the idea to try the "fist bump". I had my daughter stand near his cage and we did it and made the whoosh sound. Gilbert made the whoosh sound back and seemed really excited. When I had him on my knee I did the fist bump to myself and again he "whooshed". He got really excited, bobbing and flapping and when I put my fist up to him, he opened his foot and gave me like a high five! I whooshed, he whooshed and we laughed and he got really animated and excited. When I asked for a fist bump, I got close and he pecked me like a chicken! LOL. I am sure he was just overly jubilant, but I am not going to push my luck. He is just awesome and amazing and I feel so lucky that he lets me into his little world and is showing signs of expanding his trust to the rest of our family.

I really liked that fist bump that Blue and Linda did in the movie "Rio" and that is wonderful you are teaching that to Gilbert, he is smart and will catch on quickly. He has really come along in leaps and bounds for you and will for your family too in time, a match made in heaven and I love hearing these updates about his progress, what a grey!

We sent our daughter to college and she came home and taught us the fist bump. LOL. It would be somewhat like a high five from the olden days. The new flair is to offer your fist up to your buddy, and just as they lightly touch, you bounce back with an open hand and a "whoosh" noise. It is fun, but I sure hope she learned more than that in four years. LOL. I think Gilbert is in on the crowd, he gets really excited, but I am not too sure if the whoosh sound he reciprocates is him thinking I hissed at him. He gets really excited though and bounces up and down, flaps his wings and at the very least he is getting some exercise. I would love to hear what he is thinking... probably on the lines of "crazy old toot... you aren't doing it right!" Kids these days. LOL.

Dee you are doing an amazing job with Gil,and it's so obvious that he loves you. You've done great things with him in just over a month that I wasn't able to do in 2 years. I'm so happy that Gilbert went to your house. There was no better place for him to go

• Haha 1

Just found this thread.... I try to read everything but seemed I missed this one. I've been adicted to the "Decorah eaglets" & broke away to catch-up here.

I, too, have a rehomed grey & it's taken me a yr. !!!!!!! to have him start to express love by rubbing the top of his head on me or "smooch" sound kiss to get his way about something. Roscoe has been so patient w/ me & it's starting to pay off. I still look forward to the day he will cuddle and let me scratch his head & neck. He plays under a blanket on the floor and feeling secure will let me rub the top of his head w/ the back of my hand. I just want to scoop him up and smother him w/ kisses !!!

I must have patience ... He has come such a loooooooooong way. I know how Gilbert makes u feel !!! I melt everytime Roscoe rubs his head.

Hi Gwen, I live in Southern Indiana. Are you south also? I am getting a baby grey. I went to see it today (for the second time). I cannot wait to bring it home with me. I am sooooo excited. Don't know the sex yet but don't matter to me. Congrats on making progress with Roscoe. I have an eclectus that is 1 yr old & she won't let me pet her but I keep trying everyday. You will like this list. I just lurk but will write when I get my baby home, maybe 4 more weeks or so. Linda

This has been a great day! I got Gilbert's new big boy cage today. I have been a little apprehensive about moving him and making a big change. My husband brought the boxes in for me to assemble the cage. Just before I started to open the boxes, my daughter said "I'm going to go to the mall, can I get you anything. I was shocked, just stunned to hear Gilbert say something new. He piped right up and said "Got a cheeseburger?" That was a laughfest for sure. What a surprise. He refers to every kind of food as a cracker. It was so funny, I am still smiling. Gilbert then watched me carefully while my husband helped me put the cage together. When I got things together, I put it next to the table where his travel cage sits and when I put the play top together, I loaded a few nutriberries and an almond in the cups on the top and put him up there. He accepted the change with grace even though he was a little nervous. He climbed down on his own from the new cage to the old one and continued to watch as I moved his favorite toys and food dishes. I thought I would have to wait a couple of weeks to have both cages side by side. My plan was to move a few goodies in and entice him a little at a time. I had another big surprise when he asked to go night night, I gave him a scratch, put him in the new cage and bless his heart... it was okay with him. He continues to just amaze me and his attitude has been nothing short of a miracle. I didn't expect to watch him just jump right into new things. He has just exceeded every concept I ever had for a rehomed bird, he is a genuine character.

If it makes you feel better, I'm in college right now and I've never fist bumped anything!
Gilbert has emphatically decided this is NOT his chosen method of celebration. When I thought he was getting excited, it was not in a good way and he bit me! As cute as his whoosh was... he is likely thinking I am hissing at him and that is not a good thing in his world apparently.

Dee you are doing an amazing job with Gil,and it's so obvious that he loves you. You've done great things with him in just over a month that I wasn't able to do in 2 years. I'm so happy that Gilbert went to your house. There was no better place for him to go
Thanks Sarah, it has nothing to do with me, Gilbert has a mind of his own and I am just one of his fortunate chosen ones for the time being. Someone along the way in one of his homes paved the way for him to accept me. I don't take it for granted, but I do savor being in his good will and we are working on getting him to tolerate the rest of our family.

It was meant to be, you can tell that by the way Dee talks of Gil and I am so happy that they found one another.
Thanks Judy. Our family has been through a lot in the two short years of finding our forum. This little fellow has exceeded all my expectations and it really does feel like he was out there waiting for me to learn and be ready for him. I was ready to commit and wait for him to come around on his own terms and he changed up the game plans on me.... and I learned to adapt. One of the greatest things about a rehome is the unexpected thrills with the new things he comes up with. It is like Christmas here every day. Edited by katana600

I just want to scoop him up and smother him w/ kisses !!!

I must have patience ... He has come such a loooooooooong way. I know how Gilbert makes u feel !!! I melt everytime Roscoe rubs his head.

I do know how you feel. I want to hug Gilbert too, but that is just too much to expect, so I hug him from inside my heart and keep my distance until he comes to me. Our contact times are kept to a minimum so it leaves him wanting more. Well, it leaves me wanting more too. I am never too sure if the learning process was meant for me rather than for him.

I do know how you feel. I want to hug Gilbert too, but that is just too much to expect, so I hug him from inside my heart and keep my distance until he comes to me. Our contact times are kept to a minimum so it leaves him wanting more. Well, it leaves me wanting more too. I am never too sure if the learning process was meant for me rather than for him.

Your right on... The learning process does go both ways !!! Roscoe added another action to his good night process 3 days ago!! When lights go off, he starts "go to bed" over & over... I go to his cage & he immediately moves off the cage door & into his cage.. I tell him thank you & good boy !!

3 nites ago he put his head down (i thought for a sucker bite) so i offered the back of my hand & he rubbed the top of his head & neck & then made a smooch kiss sound. I melted !!! so far that's his new routine & i love it. Any chance for contact that he initiates is a step forward!!

I believe in small changes and to rejoice with every accomplishment and then sit back and watch and wait. When I think of myself as the "support staff" and not the boss, I get a lot further in the parrot relationship. It is a lot harder to hold back and wait, but the rewards are exponentially greater when we wait for them to accept us in their own time. I also couldn't have made the progess with Gilbert without the insights I have gotten from Sarah and to learn from her work with him. Plus, watching and reading all of the techniques others on this forum have found effective has been a blessing in our lives. It might sound like a cliche, but it does take a village to come together and make our parrot experience better than I could have done alone. This has been the most awesome morning ever. Gilbert was up before the dawn and today is a new day. He spent four hours exploring every inch of his cage inside and out. He has been like a kid with a new pony on Christmas day. He awakened with such joy and exuberance like I have never seen before in my life. I am just sitting back and watching him perform acrobatics, calling out triumphantly and just climbing and playing like a little energizer bunny. I should be getting some work done, but I can't bear to leave the room while he is in a state of euphoria. I am soooo glad I waited until he was secure and had a measure of trust for me before getting him moved into his big cage. This has been one of the best days of my life. He is a balm to my soul and I have never been happier than to see him reaching out and embracing his world and allowing me to be there to watch from a small distance. This is just an awesome day.

This forum is the greatest !!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy Gilbert likes his new cage.. Just sit back & enjoy

Seeking knowledge i came to this forum 8 mo. after adopting my 1st grey. After 50+ yrs. experience w/ animals on the farm & 30 yrs. surgical vet tech.... I read everything--- I whole heartedly THANK Shanlung for his experience w/ Tinkerbell!!! His approach gave me a complete turnaround from dogs & cats. Alpha male was thrown out the window & ALL my progress also has come from tips from janet & jay- Thank you both !!

My first bird experience came 8 yrs. ago with 3 tiels.... THEN CAME MY GREY !!!! I am so very greatful this forum has provided an insight to allow Roscoe to become a happier more loving fid. I look forward to so much more!!

• Haha 1

What great updates Dee - I read everyone with an ever growing grin on my face. I am just so thrilled for you to have found such an angel as Gilbert - he is your reward for all you have been through in the last couple of years, and for looking after your babies so selflessly. I just love Gilbert to bits. Well done for making his last move such an easy one. xx

This forum has everything to do with Gilbert's success. Reading how others have handled issues and approached a partnership/companionship with our birds and allowing them to show us their potential has greatly influenced my thinking and my ability to understand the needs of a parrot. But, more than the practical advice, those people who are the backbone of the forum not only showed the way and gave advice, but shined the light during dark times to support one another emotionally as well. The people here who have taken in older birds with issues gave me the courage and inspiration to try again and be prepared for a long road of building trust. The grin on my own face would still be there if I was waiting my turn for Gilbert to come out of his shell. The unexpected milestones that are coming faster than I imagined turn that grin to unabashed gleeful laughter. I can not believe this guy! Last night he had another "first" moment. While I was sewing Gilbert got onto the floor. He hid under Java's cage and my husband noticed right away. To my great delight and surprise, David went to him and offered a hand rather than calling me in to protect his fingers from the usual bite he is offered from Gil. When I came upstairs to see what was happening, Gilbert was back on his cage. David offered him an almond to celebrate, but Gil emphatically flung it to the floor. David offered a step up from the cage door and Gil growled at him. I didn't want to leave it on that note. I offered Gil to step up and he came to me as David was inches away. Then David offered a step up from my hand and Gilbert obliged. It is the first time he has allowed David that close without biting him. We didn't push our luck, Gilbert was looking nervous so he came right back to me and I put him back on the cage. Again David offered him an almond and again he rejected it. I put Gilbert into the cage on his perch of greatest security, and then he took the almond from David. I feel like dancing on the moon, it makes me so happy that Gilbert is extending his trust to his extended family. Slow, steady progress, not getting my hopes too high and watching and waiting for Gilbert to take the lead while his courage is building is what I learned from all the successful people here who have bonded with your own parrot have been my teachers and gurus and forum friends. Thank you all so very much.

Katana600 - don't you dare sell yourself short! I agree with you 99.9% - the forum has had a lot to do with most of us getting through some crisis or other at some point since we got our babies, - my road would have been a lot less smooth had I not been pointed in this direction when I got ALfie, the encouragement and support I had was priceless to me. But anybody can listen to good advice - you have to act on it for it to become effective. It's YOU who is there with Gilbert, it's you who has opened your heart and your home to him, and provided the kind of environment that would allow him to settle in and make himself at comfortable. Gilbert is a little gem, and you two were made for each other. x