NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do You Sprout ?

lovemyGreys

Do you feed sprouted seeds?

What is sprouting?

Sprouting is the practice of soaking then draining and leaving seeds until they germinate and begin to sprout.

Did you know that sprouted seeds are rich in vitamins,minerals,enzymes & antioxidants.

Many people believe that sprouted seeds are one of the most nutrional foods you can give your grey.

Sprouted seeds are at their maximum nutrional value at the very beginning of the sprouting process.

Sprout mixes are readily available from bird food supplier’s online or local pet food stores. Each product will come with simple to follow instructions.

Sprouts need moisture, proper temperature and adequate air circulation. As they grow, sprouts release carbon dioxide and other gasses and create waste that must be removed by rinsing. If sprouts ever have an objectionable odour or look mouldy, discard them.

I buy this particular product but I am sure you will be able to get the equivalent outside of the UK.

Quick-Sprout-800g.jpg

You simply put a small amount of seed,about a teaspoon full for an African Grey sized parrot, into warm water overnight and then rinse and place onto a damp cloth somewhere warm for 24 hours. Rinse this before feeding to your parrot. You can rinse and leave another 24 hours of required.

Have a look next time you stock up on your parrot food & let me know if you begin to sprout ;)

Tracy, I have tried sprouting seeds to feed Josey but I had limited success. I haven't seen a mix of different seeds like the bag you posted a photo of here in my area, but there are a few stores where I can buy the individual seeds out of bins.

I must not have followed the directions correctly for they did not turn out like I expected, but maybe I should give it another try. I know they are very nutritious for our greys and for ourselves also.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, I will try it again.

Hi Toni, The grass i grow is wheatgrass,which contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids. This is fine.

Grass alone will not stop a bird from plucking but diet plays a big part in the condition of our birds feathers.

I will do a new topic at a later date about nutrition & feather condition :)

Hi Dan,

As long as you know they are pesticide free then there fine.

The mung bean is a big favourite & easy to sprout,Do you have somewhere you could buy them ?

Soak a small cupful overnight, spread them in a colander, cover them with a paper towel, rinsing several times a day for a couple days, and they should sprout ;)

I live next door to a mung bean sprout factory, they sprout their own. You would think that Talon eats them all the time since they are so available to me, but I've never fed them to her. I think I'd better take a walk over and get some fresh ones. :S I don't have to sprout them!! :P

Guest Monique

I have never tried sprouting but I've thought about it. I've also thought about it for myself - I know I love Alfalfa Sprouts on my salad...

I do sprouts, according to one leading german bird man you should always sprouts some of the seeds that you are feeding your bird. You should have a success rate of at least 40% of the seeds sprouting otherwise it is a sign that the seed mixture is of a poor quality and you can look for something better.

Trina wrote:

I do sprouts, according to one leading german bird man you should always sprouts some of the seeds that you are feeding your bird. You should have a success rate of at least 40% of the seeds sprouting otherwise it is a sign that the seed mixture is of a poor quality and you can look for something better.

Very good information, Trina, thanks for contributing that to this thread, never thought of it that way before.

Guest briansmum

i got a huge sack of sprouting seeds and pulses from the breeder when i got brian. i didnt like them because you have to be sooo careful as they are a breeding ground for bactieria. as it turned out brian wasn't keen on them either, which was when i tried pellets and he gobbled them up. so the sprouting stuff went out the window

• 6 months later...

I myself got some already sprouted from tesco's the other day (supermarket) I got mung beans & some geen beans & peas that were already done & packaged.. these can be used in stir fries for us... but if washed can be given to the birds... I brough some roasted hemp seeds that can be eaten by us for omega 2 & 3 & I have also got lentils which I will try & sprout both myself but the easier option is to buy a packet.. the mung beans went down a treat as there easy for them to grip in mouth with beak,.. but the beans & peas smelt a bit funny when got them home so chucked them straight away...lol def not for my sensei,,,, but should b able to get these from supermarkets or maybe health food stores..... def gonna try do it myself also & the wheatgrass....xxxx thanx for all the info above peeps....xxx