NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

No Such Thing As A Newbie Here

After hearing comments from some of our newest members that they were surprised that this place doesn't treat them like NEWBIES, I wanted to tell everyone that is thinking of joining that the word NEWBIE doesn't exist here. EVERYONE that joins this site is treated with the same respect and love as members that have been here for years.. Enough Said.. Now join up and start having some real fun... :P:P :P

CD<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/08/19 20:26

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Saraj. Welcome to the family.. thanks for joining.. I think you will like it here..

Regarding the forum interface.. Yes, it is quite different then most but I think you will find its' rich environment a pleasure after just a short time getting use to it..

In any case, feel free to ask any questions you like.. We have lots of members that would love to answer you.

CD and Staff

Welcome, Saraj, to the family, glad you joined, but while you are here, why don't you tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a grey? How old is it and how long have you owned it?

This site looks at first glance to be difficult but it really is not and I speak from experience, as I was once in your shoes. But take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the features and when you are comfortable with them, tell us more.

Start a new thread when you are ready to ask us that "burning" question, I am a little curious of what this may be, so don't keep us in suspense too long.:)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I just found this site and I am looking forward to learning more about my baby girl. I am lucky enough to live with a 6 year old grey who is very vocal, very smart and very much what I call in the teenage years. She tests everything and anything. I truly belive she knows some of the things she is saying when she says it. She will call the cat to her cage and then bark to scare it away and just laugh. However, I am looking for some advice please. I can't tell the difference between molting and her plucking. I know for sure she is plucking the right side of her, pink and bare. The left side looks beautiful & perfect. The feathers on her chest though I don't know if it is molting or plucking. She hadspin feathers and the fluffy new white ones. I have started giving her more things to do, I work during the day, and that has helped to grow back some feathers, but it is painfully obvious that she is plucking on her right side. What can I do to help her? Looking forward to comments. Hope to have some photos posted in the next few days. Thank you! HG

You need to take her to an avian vet for a thorough checkup and bloodwork to rule out anything physical and then we can work on what is causing her to pluck her feathers.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about yourself and your grey, her name, how lony you have had her and so forth.

yeah helllloooooo everyone pleased to meet you all i am new too, found this forum today its great i love the fact im not getting charged for advice on my grey and so may different views from people am loving it if anyone can give me any advice on getting my parrot to stop biting my kids id be very greatful thanx look forward to hearing from you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Everyone,

I'm delighted to have found this site. My name is Terri, and I live with a beautiful 6 month old Grey named Bella, a lively little showoff Conure named Jigme (7 months) and my two greyhounds Doc and Dream.

Before I brought Bella home I read myself silly on all things African Greys only to find out that the things people told me were "typical" not being the case with Bella.

She is hands down the most affectionate animal I have ever had the pleasure of living with. She snuggles, purrs, and expresses her affection more then any animal I've seen. Nothing aloof about her. Even though she's only 6 months, she is jabbering away. For a baby she has a pretty good vocabulary! Several people, including my avian vet (who is a certified avian vet) told me she would more then likely not enjoy taking showers. On the contrary - she enjoys the shower tremendously. So, while I've taken information to heart, I'm not obsessing if Bella doesn't do some of the things people have told me are "typical".

One thing I have noticed is she mimics the behaviors of my Conure Jigme, and of the greyhounds (while the hounds are quite gentle with the birds, I never leave them alone together). When Jigme takes a bath in his water bowl, Bella does the same in hers. When my hounds congregate around me in the morning for breakfast, Bella flies off her perch and joins them in the action.

Both Bella and Jigme spend a good deal of time foraging. So, on their paytops I've made a foraging environment, hiding goodies in various places, and scattering treats among the straw on top of the playtops. I've also found that if I make little foraging cups out of dixie cups and hange them all over their cage and put different things in there, they get a bang out of digging around everywhere in their cages.

Bella is curious about anything and everything, which makes teaching her things very easy. She seems to have very little fear about anything I show her. However, the only time she does get rather testy is with strangers. She has a zero tolerance policy for strange dogs, birds or people. Birds approaching the outdoor bird house (which she can see from her window) are greeted with Bella's fierce growl and wing flapping. My neighbor's little dog who came over thought for sure he would end up as a Parrot treat based upon the reception he got from Bella. And people - she growls particularly at men - even while receiving a treat! So, I'm trying to work on this, exposing her to more and more different people, people she sees me being friendly with and hopefully we can work through this!

So, that's a little about us... I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Cheers!

Terri

Welcome again Nychsa!!

Very nice introduction on you and the flock (including your dogs )

It sounds like your are having a great time with your CAG and Conure, while they are too :-)

Your absolutely right on Grey books and articles etc. The is a lot of good information in them, but also "characterisations" they are undeservedly labeled with as a "Fact".

I have a similar experience with my Grey, Dayo is a very affectionate snuggle, loves scratches and if nothing else, just to hang out with us where ever we are. :-)

Your doing a wise thing in trying to socialize him while very young. We have done the same with ours from the day he came home and he is very comfortable with strangers and acquaintances he has come to know. He however does have a limit on hair-do's, one of our grandchildren came over one day with his hair spiked up and Dayo Growled and screamed until we figured out the problem. Combed his hair down, Dayo then wanted to step up and be friends again :side:

It is a real joy having them, isn't it? :-)

Again, Welcome!!

Hello and welcome to the family, Terri, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Bella. That was a very nice introduction and it tells us a lot about what type of grey owner you are.

It sounds like you have a wonderful grey that is not the typical grey according to the "facts", but they are all individuals so therefore the typical is not always what you get.

Not to burst your bubble, but you know that she may not always be a cuddler, she is only 6 months old and she more than likely will become more independent as she gets older and may not cuddle as much but then that is typical and you may experience the opposite, why not.

You have already read a lot on greys, but if you haven't already, please read thru our many threads here for lots of useful information. You can ask us any questions you like and we will try to answer as best we can and help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures you would like to share with us of Bella we would love to see her.

Thank you for the Welcome Judy and Dan!

I've started reading through the posts - lots of information!

I'll get some pictures posted as well. We have lots of them. Bella doesn't care for the flash on the camera, so she ducks and dodges getting her picture taken, but I think some bannana could do the trick in bringing her around.

Judy, I hear what you are saying re: Bella possibly becoming more indepdendent - that's ok. She can't always be tucked under my chin!

She is revealing a good deal about myself though - some of the things I say apparently quite offten: Jigme nipped her toe and she towered over him and said "no, no, no, no no!" LOL! I realized that is what I say to the dogs when they are getting into something they're not suppose to. I must laugh a good deal as well, she mimics my laugh. The first time she did that I was so startled I nearly fell off my chair. Doc, my male greyhound came bouncing down the stairs and I said "hi there Doc" and Bella pipes up "hi there Doc!" , Doc looked at me incredulously, looked at her and then ran back upstairs and jumped into his basket LOL!

So yes Dan - we're having a blast - it's a fun household, and we're enjoying it.

Bella and Jiggy are due for their first visit with the avian vet since bringing Bella home. He wanted to see them together after they'd had some time to aclimate with each other. I'm dreading that a bit as I know how Bella reacts towards men. I think I'm going to call him first and see if we can do anything to make this visit easier.

Cheers!

Terri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mgoertzen5 wrote:

Hello everyone i joined around 5 days ago and so far ive been having some awesome conversations about african greys, i feel like i have been on here for ages. thanks i feel so welcomed!:):P

THIS is exactly how we want you to feel.....glad you are here now.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Skuffy

Hello bird lovers, My real name is Mark,I live in the uk,Just a short message to let ppl know I Host a chat on a program called Filecroc,Its open chat, so if you want more info drop me a line,I am new to this Grey forum so i don't really know what to say,i have a Congo Grey called Max, hes "9yrs" old,so i am told..My daughter got him a few wks ago from a pet shop, but she wasn't edutacted on the needs of a grey so he now lives with me my wife, out of 4 kids i have 2 still at home.

When she bought him,the girl said she couldn't find his hatch papers and she should ring back speak to the manager...I rang today asking for his hatching papers and the keeper of the shop started to give me loads of rubbish talk,,,,,why do you want papers,,,he has a ring on his leg,but i'll check my box to see if his numbers on his leg have paper work...I gave him the leg numbers closed ring,he came back..sorry we haven't anything on him..

In between all this i was put on hold,but it didn't work,i heard a girl say she sold the original Max to a couple, ie my daughter, but never took the Name down and another Grey to his spot in the shop.This bird was sold right away as Max, and i think his papes went to them...Any ideas what i should do, and do i really need hi papers..? I want to know where he came from..?B) Please some 1 advise me!!!<br><br>Post edited by: Skuffy, at: 2008/03/15 02:10

No I don't think you really need the hatch papers, you have the leg band and that is enough especially if you are going to keep him. I wouldn't worry about that.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us more about you and Max.