NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

For a beginner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4sUuiw5f18

thanks jay! i have already read that and told my husband all about it. i told him how i have never wanted to be thrown up on so bad in my life haha ( i was joking) here is a video of Madden (we renamed him that) more masculine and very close to his old name. any way here is a video of him playing with his new toy...ps he loves his new cage and toy. i only put one in there...i didnt want him to feel overwhelmed!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just fantastic!! He looks as though he has been with you his entire life! Congrats for giving him a wonderful new home!!

oh and btw the toy Madden is playing with is Rene's absolute fav toy! I have to replace all the rope and wood once a week! he goes absolutely banana's for it! (I also toss some nuts in the wiffle ball when he's not looking!)

I need a little advice please. We let Madden out of his cage when we get home until bedtime. At the top of our cage there is a opening that folds down and he can stand on it. this is where he likes to be the most while we are petting him. Last night when i went over there to give him some attention he sorta made a quick movement with his head and of course i pulled back and just walked away (not sure if that is a bad thing to do or not). my husband kept telling me to go back to him right then but i told him that i read to walk away from it and go back when i was ready. is that right? another question is with that opening on the cage being higher up than both of us tall is that a bad place for us to interact with him? his first night home my husband kept trying to get him to step up and all he would do is nibble all over his hands but never try to bite...is that a bad habit to let him do? i dont believe Madden has ever been trained to step up. should i do target training with his old perch that was in his old cage first and get him comfy with that then try our hand? he has flown off his cage once and just walked back to his cage which i thought was funny. also any advice to ME so that i will not let him know that i am "iffy" with him?? SORRY I AM ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, may I make a suggestion? Why don't you start your own new Thread for you and Madden. The movement might have been nothing, if you don't follow through, he might start thinking you like it, and start doing it all the time, if he makes a attempt or bites you, say "no, I don't like that"! Remember, a Zon is treated more curtly then a Grey.. You can say "No" to a Zon, and make you language more positive! Always go back, never ignore. The "Bird higher then me" is a "MYTH", there's no "Alpha" bird...so don't worry about that. Remember, a bird uses hie beak as a hand, no problem with the nibbling... Try both the, "Finger perch and the wood perch", when he gets hormonal the wood perch might be the only way to handle him. When he flys and lands, walk over to him, offer him your finger and say "step-up"...Always walk to the front of him. Where a smile like when your with someone you don't care for!! I'm sorry but I still feel it's to soon to change his name, with our rescue Joey, we called him Jim for 2 weeks, one day he said " I'm Joey not Jim"!!!!lol

Jayd

that is funny jay!! "im joey not jim" i will take your advice and tell my hubby to go back to madison for now. you definitely know more than me about a bird so i will take all your advice and run with it! Thanks, Call him both,for a day or 2, call him Madison, then star calling him Madisom/Maddem, then after a short while, reverse it, and call him Madden more and more, dropping his old name.You'll have to decide how long to do this, watch his face and reactions...Thanks

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

May I suggest, wipe down your complete new cage with "Apple Cider Vinegar" It's one of the best disinfectants there is. Do it wet and let it air dry!

Jayd

Jayd: Apple cider vinegar smells kind of strong. Can you use it safely around the birds or does it need to be done in another area? Just wondering.

Jayd: Apple cider vinegar smells kind of strong. Can you use it safely around the birds or does it need to be done in another area? Just wondering.

Apple Cider Vinegar is not only safe for our fids, it's good for them and us. It's one of the best disinfectants around. We use it on our fids hard toys, feeding and water bowels, to clean hard poop, and to clean and wipe down their cages... We also use "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar" for soaking their veggies after there rinsed with water, and to wipe hard boiled egg shells lightly. If you have a mold spot on you wall, bathroom etc, spray it on, it kills the spores.[after cooked]lol

Later I'll post some links to ACV.

Jayd

• 1 month later...

Some people are amazon people and some are not, In my opinion Amazons are a very vocal bird my YN is always yapping about something or singing songs we have sang together or making up her own songs. She is very seldom calm and quiet like my Grey. I kid you not my Grey tells me to tell Lucy (YN) to be quiet for a while. It is a riot, of course I relay the message to Lucy but she just turns a deaf ear. My friend has a lilac crown that is a little quieter than my Lucy but not by much. Best of luck in your search.

Karen

All Zon's have a different noise level... Thanks Jayd

I agree with this, when first deciding what bird would be best suited to our household everything I read about Zon's where that they were extremely noisy all the time! However, although Diego can be noisy sometimes, it is never ever annoying and his loud outbursts are only when there is an air of excitement going on. For example if my children get excited about something or are play wrestling, Diego joins in the fun and lets out excited loud noises as well. Or if we have friends over and the conversation gets louder, Diego also gets louder. The rest of the time he is pretty quiet, OK he chatters away but his noises are quiet and in the background. I actually find his noise comforting and will often turn down the TV so I can hear him better.

The only other time Diego is slightly more noisy is first thing in the morning when we all get up and in the evening, when I say noisy it is in no way screaming or screeching but just him putting the volume up slightly. From what I have read this is a natural behaviour where in the wild they would make loud noises at these times of day to gather the flock together.

With my personal experience of owning a Blue Fronted Amazon his noise levels have never even slightly bothered me. :)

• 2 years later...

I've been reading the possible dangers and regression an Amazon might have if they are clipped in this thread. The owner if the Amazon I am considering adopting wants to clip his wings before I bring him home for his safety. If she is doing the clipping before I get him and not me (after bringing him home) doing it - doing you think the bird would still resent ME? I agreed with her points about his safety in a new enviroment, but I dont want to stunt his progress by making a mistake with the clipping.

Don't do it! If he is used to being allowed to fly, then this will be dry detrimental to him physiologically. He will have enough to deal with in adjusting to,a new home, new surroundings, new people, new routine. Many amazons don't care to fly as much a greys do. He should be allowed to if he desires. I seriously doubt he will just go flying off thru your house on his own when he doesn't know it. Amazons prefer to stay in the same room as people. They don't want to go exploring on their own.

I have a male BF zon who will be 5 tomorrow. Yes my New Year's Baby. Louie has never been clipped and I have had him since he was 2 1/2 years old. Although Louie does not like to be handled, he was a man's bird before mine and the women in the family didn't treat him well. Anyhow, Louie loves to follow me from room to room. He is a chewer but I have lots of wood toys throughout my home and Louie so far, knock on wood, has not destroyed anything. A flighted parrot is a happy parrot, in my opinion, so please give it a try first. Your zon may be like my zon, a guy who just wants to please his flock. Louie is the favorite of everyone who meets him his personality if marvelous.