NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

For a beginner?

Thank you.. Do you have a carrier ? [These are just suggestions!] Leaving the cage door open, try a "step-up" with finger or perch. Or with him in the cage, place the carrier door up to the cage door, if you can, and scoot him to the carrier.[?].With your baby out of the cage you can cover him with a towel, [i use a Fleece baby blanket, so the toenails don't get caught] Never hold a parrot tight around the chest!!! It's tramatic no matter what. Be prepared you might get bit!, remember if you git bit, make no reaction, no sounds, just put him down safely, walk to another room, put a towel in your mouth and scream!, come back right away, say calmly, "don't bite" and try again... I'm sure others have advice on moving a bird

Jayd

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa!!! that made me nervous!!! Im going to see if my husband can be off work with me for that day!!

Nah, don't be nervous. Just go at it like everything is going to go smoothly because if you are indeed nervous when you try, he will know and will react to that. I am sure everything will be OK. I would suggest the out of cage and cover up with a soft towel method.... that is of course if this doesn't turn out to be a sweetheart of a bird who steps up on cue (Which it very well might) :)

Another option is to go ahead and keep him in his current cage since it is only going to be a little less than a week till the vet appointment anyway. Allow him time out while your getting to know each other over the initial first week of course, but at least this way you will have a cage that is easy to transport him in to the vet and not have to worry about it so much since the morning of the vet visit, you could simply just not let him out.

:)Lot of good people and good advice on this Forum;) Your doing great, stay calm!! I'd rather you new all possibility, then being surprised!

Jayd Maggie, Spock and the Flock!

Edited by Jayd

loki's monion i think im going to go with your advice and leave him in his hell hole next to his mansion for those few days and when we get home we will leave that door open and also the door open to his new cage. I hope he takes to us pretty quick! i know we will be better owners!!!

loki's monion i think im going to go with your advice and leave him in his hell hole next to his mansion for those few days and when we get home we will leave that door open and also the door open to his new cage. I hope he takes to us pretty quick! i know we will be better owners!!!

Please keep us all posted and if you have any questions I am sure we will be able to offer some tips and advice.

I can't wait for you to go get him and bring him home :)

I just posted this, Salsa get around 6% fat, much less than our other fids, He gets less Beans, Nuts, Sunflower Seeds And fatty treats, other wise the same thing. [lowfat/high protein diet......http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190462-We-Feed-Our-Fid-s!!!-Update&p=203170#post203170

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190217-Chicken-salsa!

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

:cool:Just for interest: Our large Fids are kept in whats called "Sleep Cages! Their about the size of the old cage you have, to help stop hormonal problems, we cover our big Fids for 10hr's.We open their cages and feed them at 6am each day. They have a favorite toy, seed, pellets, and water and we string a large dark green leafy veggie in the side cage bars, usually, Dandelion or Kale or Mustard or Turnip green, they like to munch on it before going to sleep....:o[cute] Since our Fids have access to their home we share with them,:P their only in their cages when they sleep or we go out for a while. Except Joey,;) his big cage is loaded with toy's etc, and has been his home since he was weaned, he'll stay with that cage for life,:) that's part of his baggage:(, it's cute,;) he lets Spock, and Salsa share it like a playpen when he's not nite-nite!!!:D

Jayd

so funny story...we brought the cage in and i was wiping it down really good with the apple cider vinager (WHICH STINKS!!) and when i got finished i washed my hands and got ready for bed. my husband and i were laying there and he said "you are gonna have to go change and take a shower that mess stinks!" I laughed and told him he better get used to it. It wont be the last time I clean it up really good and he is going to be with us forever!" Its going to be like christmas tomorrow! I talked to the lady again and she was telling me how she felt bad she had him in such a small cage. i told her it was no judgement to her character i just honestly believe she didnt know (which im sure a lot of people go out and buy one because they think its cool and have no idea what they are getting themselves into). i reassured her that we would take good care of him and she could call us anytime and i would send her pictures. She also told me a little more about him. she said he is very laid back and does say his name "madison" and her name "lottie" and says a few other phrases. she said they didnt know birds could talk and just one day he started doing it and they couldnt believe what was happening. i thought that was so funny. what put me at ease the most is how she said that he is laid back. i know the first few months he will have to build a bond with us, but once he sees that we are loving and trustworthy i know we will be inseperable!! I will take a video tomorrow when we go get him and on the ride home. hehe :) is there anything special i need to bring for him for the ride home to make him feel more at ease? like treats or anything?

:DThank you, your doing such a great job. Sometime,s you get lucky, and the transition is smooth as silk with very few problems, this might be you case! He will stop with time saying her name and things that pertained to his previous life, I suggest, don't rush to change his name, with all the other changes being made, new home, new cage, new parront's,new smells etc, a name change right now might be a little much. The same goes with changing his food, keep giving him what he's been used to, just ad new foods and over the next couple of weeks, slowly change out the old, even use the same brand of seed. Sit back, watch, see what he likes and dislikes, he might not even likee toy's in his cage, but love them outside his cage, remember there is the possibility of the Stockholm Syndrome!

Can't wait....Jayd;)

When I re-homed my older bird (a male eclectus) I changed his name from Butch (he was a terrible plucker) to Solomon aka Sully. When I picked him up he was having Campbell chicken noodle soup for lunch, I immediately changed his diet. I popped him into a larger cage when I got him home to his new forever home and the two of us never looked back. For us, new home, new life, new atmosphere, all for the good. Sully has stopped plucking, stopped screaming and has out-of-the-cage time from morning to evening. I smile every time an old feather dies and I throw that stressed lined feather in the trash. Hopefully Sully will be flying soon after 71/2 years of being clipped!! (he has been with me for just over a year) I believe it all depends on the circumstances and what you feel is best for your new friend by what he expresses to you in his body language and his comfort with you. Take things slow at Madison's (or whatever you decide to name him) pace.

thank you that made me tear up!! sooo sweet that you and sully were together conquering everything!! everything i read is so inspiring! on the body language i read on this forum about the body language of the grey...is that the same of the amazon?

Edited by Brogers7684

Gosh you are going to make us wait until Monday to see some pics, oh well, just kidding.

It sounds like he is going to do fine but I have included the links to two threads that Dave007 started on bathing methods so maybe they will help you.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189753-Bathing-possible-method-1

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189752-Bathing-possible-method-2

Here is an update before we go to bed...HE IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!! He went to his new cage, he has been swinging from his new toy. We decided to open the door to see if he wanted to come out and he llllooooovvvveeeessss getting his head scratched!! Won't quite step up yet but is half way there! Oh and he lloovveess my daughter! She is 4. When she came home he started talking and she said my name is bella and guess what??? He said it immediately over and over! This is beyond what I could have ever hoped for!! Can't wait to show my millions of pictures tomorrow! Thank y'all for all yalls great advice and for future advice! Couldn't have made it thru the day without all yalls cheering and coaching!! Oh and he gave us a beautiful feather!! STAY TUNED......... ;)

.HE IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!! He went to his new cage, he has been swinging from his new toy. We decided to open the door to see if he wanted to come out and he llllooooovvvveeeessss getting his head scratched!! Won't quite step up yet but is half way there! Oh and he lloovveess my daughter! She is 4. When she came home he started talking and she said my name is bella and guess what??? He said it immediately over and over! This is beyond what I could have ever hoped for!! Can't wait to show my millions of pictures tomorrow! . ;)

Outta-sight, Wonderful, Fantastic, I'm so happy for you, He's yours now, For-sure.....Luv-Ya Jayd