NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

For a beginner?

I'm curious, what are the pros and cons of the different Amazon species over each other? If say, I was to get an Amazon, baby or older rehome, what is a good choice? I'm not a beginner to parrots by any means, but am just now starting to look into Amazons.

What do I want in an Amazon? Well, I know each parrot has their own personality. I'm up for a challenge, but am hoping for a mild tempered amazon, playful and outgoing, and also for some good talking ability :P

My Yoshi has the cuddling and the quiet nature, more reserved than outgoing, also headstrong lol. I guess I'm looking for a fun Amazon with more interest in toys :P

Yoshi will ALWAYS be my number one, she's my baby :) Also, I'm getting ahead of myself, as I probably won't be getting an Amazon this year, probably not until we move to our next assignment (military). I just would like an idea of what to get when the time comes :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red lored or Orange winged might be two good Amazon options to research. Both of these tend to be a little more "friendly" in my opinion. ... but that is from my own personal experience and I am in no way an expert.

The Red Lored are beautiful :) I love the colors...

The Red Lored are beautiful :) I love the colors...

Not overly large and tend to be mild mannered too (There are exceptions to the rule lol). Not known for exceptional speech but can and do talk. Quite playful too.

Edited by Loki'sMinion

In this room, we've covered 99% of the Amazon Species. For you, I'm going to compile a summary of Amazon desirability form both personal experiences and research. :confused:

Your friend Jayd

Look for this later today!!!;)

Lets make this a STICKY!

Edited by Jayd

:confused:So you want a Amazon. Lets start with a disclaimer: All Amazons are not the same, from the same species or a different species, there are many similarity’s and traits, and many variables…

New or Re-home? From a post I did on Dan’s : A note on Punishment and your Parrot. :What we consider a stable re-home able bird is: A bird in good physical condition, eating well with minimum bad eating habits, sociable or set in there ways…

Set in there ways? This would be a older parrot[?] who knows his wants and needs and says to you: This is how I am, take me or leave me! This doesn’t mean they don’t sing or talk or play or bite, or can’t learn something new, just means, set in there ways…

What things should you look for in choosing which Amazon? Choose what traits you personally desire. Is it talking, cuddling, independence, beauty? Lets look at traits that are most of the time similar to all Amazons! Most all Amazon’s are low maintenance and will eat most anything you give the…Most all Zon’s are beautiful and come in your choice of colors, Green! Naw, they have beautiful accent colors. Most all Zon’s talk to some extent, your number one talker/singer is the Yellow-Naped, followed by the Double Yellow-head. Note: A few Years back, a yellow-naped was called a Single-Yellow head!

It is very possible that in later years, after sexual maturity, and during mating season, any Zon’s ca turn aggressive. [there’s a number of threads and posts on this subject!] Most all Zon’s are susceptible to Fatty tissue Tumors…Most all Zon’s are acrobats, mountain climbers and taxi chasers…They all need “time outs” when playing with them, they get over involved like a soccer player and need to be benched….

So, which one is best suited to you? Avery sociable and some what calm medium talker is a Mealy Amazon! They lack most of the extra color of the other Zon’s, Your Yellow nape/heads are #1,

Personal Experience: Zon’s I’ve owned or worked with: Lilac Crowned, Adorable, somewhat quiet and reserved, our first rescue… Orange-Winged, Salsa never stops, calls twice a day, easy going pig, acrobat, talks very little. Westly, Salsa’s bro, He talks extremely well, with other traits very similar to Salsa. 2 Blue fronts, raised them, very beautiful, owners are very happy, and both birds are talkers. Yellow-Naped, wonderful bird, somewhat noisy, but sure can talk. DBL Head, not my favorite bird, the ones I’ve been around have been unpredictable.

In the End! Re-read if you’d like, “Amazon’s of the Week”, there’s also a lot of personal threads and posts available here. Come on everybody , post!!!!

And please, I’ll do my best to answer any specific questions you might have…:confused:

Edited by Jayd

I have to agree with you on the DBL yellow head Amazons. Most are unpredictable. I personally have been dropped to my knees in pain by one. Had a Yellow nape cause nerve damage to the back of my neck when it managed to bite me one day.

Edited by Loki'sMinion

Thank you for the info! They are all such amazing birds I really am not sure. Also I feel Id really like to adopt, all the birds I have ever owned were mine as babies and I feel I should give some older bird from a shelter a chance this time. I am ready for the challenge for sure, bites plucking and bad words are no big problem. The one thing I couldn't handle is a constant screamer. I get headaches easily and my husband would be miserable lol. I'm considering an Amazon in about a year, and my Yoshi will then be two years old. I just hope I can find a shelter willing to let me bring Yoshi in so I can take time seeing how the two will interact. This shelter here will let you, but I haven't gone yet. They got a red lored amazon named Piper in that came from a home with a very small cage and some plucked feathers. Hadn't been let out much, and apparently fed a bad diet. The pictures I saw were so adorable! 3 years old... She got a new cage at the rescue and apparently has livened right up, talking and stepping up. Apparently she just freaks out quick if you try to touch her or put anything bigger than a conure sized toy in her cage. I don't know if she is still there, I just fell in love with her story and pics last week and called but then realized that I probably should wait before I get another parrot lol. Can't afford to spoil another one like I'd want to right now anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I have been looking all over for a bird we could adopt. I came across a blue fronted amazon a lady had on craigslist. He is 2. The more I talked to her the more I could tell she knew nothing about birds. I asked her to send me a picture of his cage and oh my goodness she has him in a small cage for maybe a cocatiel. I immediately called her and told her what size cage they are supposed to be in and she laughed! We are going to get him this weekend. It is over 3.5 hours from here and in a very bad part of town! With all this being said I need to know if we should get him. I really want one and have done tons of research and called my vet. One of my main concerns is how loud he may be. I have a 9 months old and a 5 year old. Will they be able to get their sleep if he is sooo loud? My husband and I both have a full time job but we don't go anywhere other than that. We are going to put our house on the market and I have wondered how he will act when people come to view our house? The vet said it might take months for him to warm up to us. I feel so sorry for his living conditions now and that is what makes me want to get him most. I woould be willing to work with him a lot when I am home from work. Is there a way to train him to not scream if he is a screamer? The lady also said she has him on a mixed diet of seed and pellet which I know is not good for an amazon. I bought pellet. Will it be hard to get him away from all the seed? I just have a lot of concerns and I welcome all advice good or bad on if we should continue with getting him. I am a worry wart and want to make sure that we are ready! I don't want to get him and then a few months down the road question our decision! She also said he has never been to the vet but from the looks of his pictures he seems to be in good health and I have already scheduled an appointment with the vet. Please help me! Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for your decision to re-home a parrot, Amazons are wonderful birds, their not quite as demanding as other parrots, their very good at amusing them selves, but still demand a lot of attention. Your vet has given you good advice, time and patients are of the utmost importance. Noise, a Amazon is noisy sometimes in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon, each bird is different! They should sleep 10 to 12 hours a night. It is something that can be improved with a little work, there not to loud for me! LOL...A seed and pellet diet is great for a Amazon, it's to many peanuts, sunflower seeds and a fatty diet that's the problem!!! it's not seeds that cause trouble but what you feed them with the seeds...

Again, most[!] Zon's are sociable, you have to wait and see. I would get him, that's my personal opinion...Blue Front http://www.greyforums.net/forums/sho...e-Week-5-30-10

Here's a index : http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190343-Amazon-of-the-Week-Index

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190188-Cholestrol-and-Amazons

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?177551-An-Amazon-s-Worst-Enemy/page2

Welcome and good luck!!

Jayd

I hope you're prepared for months and months of rehabilitation work with this bird. Changing his diet into something good, getting him to socialize and move around after being in a shoebox of a cage for a long time. I would strongly suggest clipping a bird like that for at least the first year so he learns to depend on you and trust you. This will help in his rehabilitation. Flight training will be a year or two down the road depending on his age and condition when you get him. Good luck. It's hard work but so worth it!

I hope you're prepared for months and months of rehabilitation work with this bird. Changing his diet into something good, getting him to socialize and move around after being in a shoebox of a cage for a long time. I would strongly suggest clipping a bird like that for at least the first year so he learns to depend on you and trust you. This will help in his rehabilitation. Flight training will be a year or two down the road depending on his age and condition when you get him. Good luck. It's hard work but so worth it!

I'm sorry, I can't agree with your assessment at this point in time, please don't take this personally. Pellet only diet's are not the best choice for Amazons, unless it's something like "Harrison's" or "Totally Organics Parrot" foods, which are seed based. TOPs is cold processed, and Harrison's is processed at a far lower temperature than most all other brands, retaining all the benefits most of the other pellets lose in the heat process of making them. Low fat seed's and pellets should both be available at all times, but a Zon's diet should be mostly Veggies, Grains, Nut's and Fruit, Low fat high protein diet, around 6% fat. I feel wing clipping would defeat all that needs to be accomplished at this point or at anytime. It is proven that clipping of a companion birds wing doesn't lead to dependence, but resentment and the breaking of their spirit, which could lead to the bird becoming more introverted. I've seen fledged birds, clipped shortly after weaning live a decent life, they never new anything different, but not a bird of age, who knows the differant. Clipping at this point could be the final straw. Even going to a larger cage will be a slow process, having both cages in the same room, beside each other, letting the Zon make the move to the new cage, new toys in the new cage, all kinds of food in the new cage, doors to both cages open, then the slow change to the new diet, thank God Zon's eat almost anything. LOL

I'll post some threads for you to check out tomorrow...

Jayd

Thank y'all for the advice. I take it all in! The cage we got him is huge

I will post pictures tomorrow. When I talked to the vet they dis say it would be a good idea to get his wings clipped that is also scheduled for the 30th. I wont have him on pellet only. I was.going to do mainly fresh food with it and make it fun for him to find them in different things throughout his cage.

When I talked to the vet they dis say it would be a good idea to get his wings clipped that is also scheduled for the 30th.

I hope you reconsider clipping! I've personally seen what can happen to a abused bird, who hasn't flown, has their wings clipped because someone said they would rely on their owner more, a myth! please read:http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190455-To-clip-or-not-to-clip

If you clip, there's a good chance the Zon will hold it against you, and even turn more introverted. After all the baby's been through, why take his birthright away from him? Why give him one more reason to not trust humans, or you? Please read all you can before you commit you new bird to this awful fate, I have 4 rescues right now who have complications because they were clipped...Trust in you, bonding is what makes a happy healthy bird, not distrust through clipping... Thank You

Jayd, Maggie, Spock and the Flock

The first 2 pictures of Madison I believe are earlier pictures. the 3rd and 4th picture are the current ones of the cage he is in. the last picture is the cage we got him (excuse our messy garage) we cleaned it up really good. One question i had about the picture of him is that "bump" coming out on his right wing...what is that? also a silly question... with him being 2 is it ok to change his name?

3pe3of3l35V45Q55U0a6e43094ba244c01b34.jpg

3m03p23l85Z55X05S6a6eaa3c665c31f91e5d.jpg

07202010-006.jpg

07202010-007.jpg

35884_115878971791574_100001084163823_92782_5967080_n.jpg

I don't see the bump you are referring to. That poor bird stuck in that little cockatiel cage! I feel so bad for him. He isn't going to know what to do once he gets moved into that nice big cage you got for him :) I am sure he is going to love having all that space and more than one perch to rest his tired feet on. I suggest LOTS of toys. That poor guy only has one toy right now :( You can change his name if you like, I am guessing he hasn't had much interaction and isn't exactly sure what his name is anyway.

Bless you for adopting him, he surely needed rescuing from the looks of it

the bump might be something normal. its on the second picture.

Sorry, I couldn't see it!, Is it " Soft tissue like a marshmallow? Or a Hard ball? Or like a bone end or joint? How big?

Amazons are prone to "Fatty Tissue Disease" as well as "Fatty Liver Disease".http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?177551-An-Amazon-s-Worst-Enemy/page2

Cancer - particularly liver cancer -- common in older amazons.

• Tumors: Tumors can be benign or malignant (cancerous) and can involve any organ or system. Some species of birds tend to develop benign fatty tumors called "Lipomas."
    • Lipomas are commonly seen in overweight Amazon Parrot, Rose-breasted Cockatoos and Budgies. It seems that older budgies are more prone to tumors of the ovary, testicle or kidney, which may eventually put pressure on the sciatic nerve on the affected side, resulting in lameness of the foot or leg.
    • Fibromas are tumors found on the wing and they may need to be surgically removed. In some instances, amputation of the wing may be necessary.

Edited by Jayd