danmcq

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

I have a Question. I bought a 6yr old african grey from an older couple, when in there home he let her pick him up and kiss him and she had kids so i guess the grey was kinda social. i did research and know that the change of environment can scare them and they'll be nervous for awhile but i have no idea what to do because his actions are so random. day 1 he was in his travel cage came out and was on top for the rest of the day he lets me feed him out of his hand no problem, but he wouldn't let me touch him, day 2 he was out of his cage and when i said step up he actually did it i was supper happy. but later on in the day he did not want to step up at all. i reach for him he trys to bite me, i do the whole fist thing i don't back down but how long will i have to do that for, how do i get him to step up so i can put him in his cage or move him in general?

I have a Question. I bought a 6yr old african grey from an older couple, when in there home he let her pick him up and kiss him and she had kids so i guess the grey was kinda social. i did research and know that the change of environment can scare them and they'll be nervous for awhile but i have no idea what to do because his actions are so random. day 1 he was in his travel cage came out and was on top for the rest of the day he lets me feed him out of his hand no problem, but he wouldn't let me touch him, day 2 he was out of his cage and when i said step up he actually did it i was supper happy. but later on in the day he did not want to step up at all. i reach for him he trys to bite me, i do the whole fist thing i don't back down but how long will i have to do that for, how do i get him to step up so i can put him in his cage or move him in general?

Your new grey at 6 years old is fully an adult and independent. He just lost his soul mate, flock and home. This is a huge shock to a grey and 2 days is nothing in terms of the time it takes for a rehomed grey to get used to the new surroundings and people. You are going to need to take things very slow to build trust with him. I would suggest at this point in time to leave him in his cage and interact with him by simply being in the room, sitting next to him, read, watch tv, talk to him, offer a nut etc. Did you or coul dyou possibly get as much information as possible on him from the previous owners? What was his daily routine, what was his diet and accepted foods or favorite treat? This would give you insight as to how to make him feel more comfortable and entice him for a step up using his favorite treat.

• 1 month later...

Don't stick your finger in the cage...some Greys are extremely cage-territorial. As long as you stick your fingers in his cage and as long as you yell, he's getting a response out of you. He will continue to bite as long as you continue to stick your fingers in his cage and yell. Do not try to make physical contact while he is in his cage. Let him come out of the cage and approach him with treats and kind words. This can take time...a long time. Thanks Jayd

As has been already said, simply keep your hands out of the cage. Your bird is sending you an obvious message--Keep your hands out of my home. Loads of other rgreys do it. Also don't let others poke their fingers in the cage. Biting will get worse. Soon you'll see blood.

NEVER put your fingers in a cage.Just asking for a bite! Open the door... let bird come sit on the door if interested. If not... he won't go to the door.Sometimes takes months! Can't rush a grey. BUT.... you can make a grey be interested. Read books in front of cage with door open.Play family board games in front of cage with door open. NEVER yell at your bird.It will just make them distrust you. If they lift their foot for stepup... let them stepup. If they want down immediately, let them stepdown. Thank them for the " moment!"

When Sophie came home at age two,I knew NOTHING about a grey. I followed my instinct. When we progressed to her wanting to be out more within two weeks of her arrival, I could tell she wanted back in her cage after a tour of two rooms. Now I know soooo much more. Eye pinning, ruffled feathers, tail wagging. I always returned her to her cage at the slightest sign of stress. Nancy

One thing everyone that just brought their first Parrot home should understand, is that a Parrot does not respond to punishment like a domesticated animal such as a Dog or Cat. They have been truly domesticated and most have a pack mentality. Meaning that they respect and look up to their pack leader. It is always the strongest, quickest and most ferocious fighter out of that pack. When it weakens, there is always a young strong contender just waiting to take them down and become the new pack leader. They are Predators and act as such.

I read this and immediately went home and punished my cat. It didn't work - haahaaa. I see someone has never had the pleasure of being domesticated by a cat. ;P

I read this and immediately went home and punished my cat. It didn't work - haahaaa. I see someone has never had the pleasure of being domesticated by a cat. ;P

Try the "Broom" methodology". Had a cat once that would attack our youngest son each morning when he was 3 and would come walking out all sleepy eyed from his bedroom. That damn cat got into the habit of literally attacking him by latching on to his legs with claws dug in and then biting him viciously. Couple of times swatting that cat off with the broom stopped that behavior post-haste. Either my son or the cat was going to end up severely hurt if the broom didn't work...:P

I have had many cats and all were amazing little fellows. One was convinced we were not feeding our baby daughter properly and was forever bringing her titbits.

My last was Jezebel. Misty was her friend. She was about eighteen when she passed on. Misty would still call to to her around the anniversary of her death for two years after.

68113_119606281439630_8123959_n_e.jpg

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Gracie used to spend time at my parents' house with a senior Laborador Retriever and a tiny Toy Fox Terrier. The lab died in June at the age of 13. Her name was Bailey. Gracie was only 11 months at the time, and she wasn't really talking much. Well, back around Christmas Gracie was chattering and talking about Barkleah Doggy (the Toy Fox Terrier) and barking in perfect imitation. Then she stopped and said "Where is Bailey?". I was floored. It had been six months since Bailey's death and Gracie had never even said her name.

Birds recognize a loss in their own terms. Of course they don't understand death, but do know when someone is missing. As they get older... they do recognize and understand when someone is in trouble. ie:when Kiki was trapped under a gate. Dogs alerted me when I got home, all the animals surrounded me when I tried CPR. Everyone was quiet... expected me to help Kiki. Kiki slept with us that nite... dogs moved over. It was all about Kiki.Itis amazing how the animal kingdom works together. Kiki always mistrusted the dogs until this horrible event. Now Ollie and Zoey are her best friends. Nancy

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the of the posts. Thank you Danmcq for your knowledge and insight.

Cosmo can be a test at times, I have to admit that there were a few times where I yelled at him, he would just look at me as if to say, what's your problem. (he wouldn't actually say that, but that would be the look on his face) Whenever Cosmo gets a bit rambunctious, I'll speak gently to him where he'll offer the back of his head to where I'll gently scratch it. We call this "birdy head loveins". Now, whenever I scratch the back of head, he'll grab one of my fingers tightly and will not let go for sometimes 10 minutes or so. I don't want to pull away as he may take that as rejection. (am I correct?) Not to go off topic, but there's something else Cosmo does that's interesting, He'll lower his wings, exposing his back for me to kiss it, which I do. On into the "captive' birdy head loveins', Cosmo will start regurgitating some food as if it were an offering. are these common Grey traits?

Cosmos loves you very much and enjoys those "Birdy head Lovein's". :)

You could of course pull away if you don't have 10 minutes to invest at that time. Birds to the same when preening each other. It's not considered rejection, it's and "I have have this much time right now". I would gently discourage the regurge, I know you can't stop them completely because it is obvious he loves you very much. Dayo is and always has been affectionate like that with my wife by hanging on to her finder, lowering and spreading wings, roll over on his back for some belly scratches etc. Heck sometimes he will become so relaxed he will nod off. Anyway, sometimes my wife needs to stop the love fest to do something and it does not offend Dayo in any way, just as there are times he decides he wants to do something else and will end it.

Some greys will interact like this all their lives with their love muffin, but there are some that will never be like this or as they age the love fests may become less often. So it really is not what I would call a "Common grey trait". They are very much different from grey to grey.

Your a GreYt Parront! :)

Edited by danmcq

Cosmos loves you very much and enjoys those "Birdy head Lovein's". :)

You could of course pull away if you don't have 10 minutes to invest at that time. Birds to the same when preening each other. It's not considered rejection, it's and "I have have this much time right now". I would gently discourage the regurge, I know you can't stop them completely because it is obvious he loves you very much. Dayo is and always has been affectionate like that with my wife by hanging on to her finder, lowering and spreading wings, roll over on his back for some belly scratches etc. Heck sometimes he will become so relaxed he will nod off. Anyway, sometimes my wife needs to stop the love fest to do something and it does not offend Dayo in any way, just as there are times he decides he wants to do something else and will end it...

Your a GreYt Parront! :)

thanks again for your insight. So gently pulling away will not effect him negatively. That's good to hear because earlier today, he had me captive for over 15 minutes! About the regurgitating, how would I go about discouraging this?

Cosmos_Friend Cosmo seems to have offered his complete trust and offer of friendship. Of coarse our time is limited and we gently have to step away. I always promise Sophie I will be back after work, and then we will play. I always keep my word.I have a different opinion about the regurg. Sophie's regurg as a teenager is given a couple of times a month after serious bonding and having a fun day. She will regurg in my hand, I always thank her for her offering, and she is pleased. It has never been sexual.I think sometimes the regurg, is not understood, and when you have a bird that is just trying to show affection, they get denied and shut down! Nancy

Cosmos_Friend Cosmo seems to have offered his complete trust and offer of friendship. Of coarse our time is limited and we gently have to step away. I always promise Sophie I will be back after work, and then we will play. I always keep my word.I have a different opinion about the regurg. Sophie's regurg as a teenager is given a couple of times a month after serious bonding and having a fun day. She will regurg in my hand, I always thank her for her offering, and she is pleased. It has never been sexual.I think sometimes the regurg, is not understood, and when you have a bird that is just trying to show affection, they get denied and shut down! Nancy

Nancy,

That's how I always took the regurgitating, and the same thing with Cosmo, he'll do this after an extended neck message or when he lowers his wings and I "smooch" his back for a short while. Cosmo will thrust his head up and down almost wildly where some food works into the tip of his beak. He then shakes the mushy bit of food out of his beak on me. I can't tell you how many times I've had regurgitated Congo Grey food fly onto my lips and in my mouth! I also thank him for this with a gentile baby-talk voice. I think that maybe this is some kind of ritual Greys do in the wild to other members in the flock that they are attached to, a flock member that may preen them more than others, etc. You got to figure that in the wild, food is worth it's weight in Gold!

Earlier this evening, when Cosmo said "It's time for seep" (no, I didn't miss the letter "L" in sleep by accident) before I cover his cage and turn the moon light on, I always give him another "Birdy Head Lovins'". I usually, quietly sing a silly made-up "good night Cosmo song" to him... he, as usual grabbed one of my fingers in a tight hold where I continued to message the back of his neck. After a couple of seconds, I said "OK Cosmo, it's time for sleep", I slowly started to pull my finger away and out of his clutch. He then grabbed my finger even tighter and tried to pull it as hard as he could back towards him. I moved my hand towards him in tandem as not force my finger loose from his talon. I stroked the back of his neck for a few more seconds, then I said, "Awe, come on Cosmo, you said it was time for sleep, I wanna go outside and have a smoke". (He knows what that means, of course I never smoke a cigarette anywhere in the apartment, and always wash my hands before handling him. I'll go outside on the back porch telling him "I'm going out to have a smoke". When I come back inside, Cosmo will say, "Going out to have a smoke" then he'll imitate my smokers cough!) Anyway, tonight when I sort of pleaded with him, he let go. (Interesting)

thanks again for your insight. So gently pulling away will not effect him negatively. That's good to hear because earlier today, he had me captive for over 15 minutes! About the regurgitating, how would I go about discouraging this?

You can discourage regurging by stopping whatever you are doing the moment you see it starting to happen. If it happens anyway, just set him aside and get something to clean it up with. When they equate the interrupt of time together when the regurge happens as you stop to clean it up, it will slow down. I will say, there will still be times a regurge will happen and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Like every once in a while if my wife has been gone for several hours, when we come home a she walks up to the cage and says hi as we enter our home, dayo will get so excited he will regurge instantly.

You can discourage regurging by stopping whatever you are doing the moment you see it starting to happen. If it happens anyway, just set him aside and get something to clean it up with. When they equate the interrupt of time together when the regurge happens as you stop to clean it up, it will slow down. I will say, there will still be times a regurge will happen and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Like every once in a while if my wife has been gone for several hours, when we come home a she walks up to the cage and says hi as we enter our home, dayo will get so excited he will regurge instantly.

I see, however there's really nothing to clean up...it's only a very small bit of mushy food that he'll shake off which usually lands on me. I guess stopping the birdy head lovins' and the "the clean up" would show him that it's not what I'm expecting as a behavioral response.

Whenever I put my shoes on in front of him, Cosmo says, "I'll be right back". As I leave the apartment, he'll say "I'll be right back...Good-Bye", and I'll respond in kind. When I come home, Cosmo will say, "Hellooo, I want some pasta and a cup of coffee". (I give him a small amount of organic macaroni once a week as this is his favorite treat) Giving him the pasta treat is the only time he'll do the regurgitating routine without me scratching the back of his neck or kissing his back. I'll give your suggestion a try if you think this may be problematic.

P.S Cosmo, of course never drinks coffee. ;)

------

Thanks,

~Rick

Cosmos_Friend LOL! I smoke too,outside. I will tell Sophie " Rom is going to be naughty", as kids taught her this. She will stepdown then I will wash my hands and go get her when I am done. She trusts me to come back so she will let me go. Sometimes she refuses, and I gently place her in front of her cage. She will stepdown, but I always come back to get her ( after washing), so she knows my " word" is real. Cosmo is doing just fine Nancy