NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A note on Punishment and your Parrot

danmcq

Dan, do they go through the breeding season every year for the rest of their life or just a number of years?

Oh & very good informative post by the way.

Yes, once a parrot reaches maturity, it will have increased hormones during the natural breeding seasons at varying levels from parrot to parrot the rest of their lives.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dan, this is a great post (as usual!) Keep up the good work!

On a similar note, if I find that my green cheek conure starts acting nippy and there's nothing that I can do calm her down, I offer her a bath. I don't throw her in the water or make the bath any different than when she is in a good mood. If I offer her a bath, she'll usually take me up on the offer and we both have a good time as she fluffs her stuff in the water. The bad mood is quickly dispelled. Then she takes about the next 1-2 hours to groom herself and that helps.

Just hope this idea helps anyone else who seems to be getting to the end of their rope.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

so what does everyone do if the bird bites and you say "no" and it keeps biting? the vet told me to put her in the cage, turn the lights out and walk out of the room for 10min for a time out. it's rare our grey gets like that but she has her moments. she's still just a baby.

Hi Ruby. You should tell us the circumstances that precede the biting episode. But I think that your vet gave the right general advice. Make as little fuss as possible and place your parrot away from you in it's cage for time out for a short period. Don't shout or show anger in a way that might upset or frighten the bird.

You need to be able to read the parrots body language and avoid situations that bring on a biting episode if at all possible. This does take a little experience but one of the classic signs is pinning of the pupils.

Steve n Mistyparrot

• Haha 1

A baby grey is just that, a baby, she will be testing you because she is learning. Don't assume she is being mean. When Brutus started biting we said, "Be nice" and after a while he understood the amount of pressure that is acceptable. Of course when they are older, sometimes they bite to be mean. I have learned to read our grey's body language for signs of aggression or of being over-stimulated. At these times, he is more prone to misbehave, so I do not handle him. If his eyes are pinning that can be a definite danger sign! I try not to put Brutus in a position where he is apt to misbehave because I think, then, that bad behavior can become repetitive. It becomes sort of like training and reinforcement for bad actions rather than good. (If that makes sense?) I have had Brutus for almost 3 years, and by following these guidelines---he RARELY bites, and if he does, it doesn't hurt, and feels more like a good squeeze than a bite. Now my husband is not his favorite, and we have learned that Brutus will bite my husband, especially at night (he has broken the skin after an attempted kiss), so he does not try to handle him at night. In the morning, however, Brutus is a cuddle-bug with my husband. I also think my husband forces the issue with Brutus rather than looking for cues. I think respect for your grey and his moods will set up a good situation for bite-less behavior.

i never did figure out why she bit. i think she just didn't want to be messed with at the time. thankfully she hasn't bit since. i guess birds have their bad moods every now and then just like people do...

Indeed, that is the reason they bite when we do not recognize their body language warning us they are not going to comply. :)

• 5 months later...

Thank you, Steve, for some great advice and reassurance. Taylor loves to fly to the tops of doors and has decided that the door frames are wonderful to chew on.

He's really done a good job on some bathroom sink drawers, besides. We installed some baby protector hinges to keep him from getting inside. Nevertheless, he's whittled quite a bit, and should we ever decide to sell our home, those will have to be replaced, as well as do some repairing of some door frames.

I decided to place some items in these areas to keep him from going back. He's been staying away, so it's working.

My question is this: Can our Greys be disciplined to keep out of things without all the foreign objects all over the place? My partner has suggested that "Taylor runs the show" and gets to do whatever he wants.

With all the toys and his ability to fly back and forth to and from several rooms in our fairly spacious home, he seems to have more energy than I can provide things for him to do.

His avian doctor said he was just plain "hyper".

He's 6 years old and is as mischievious as a toddler. Our Amazon parrot, Paco, is much older, super mellow, and is annoyed by Taylor, mostly because he wants a playmate.

Taylor is so smart, so intuitive, and sometimes I think he needs more to do, a bigger space, like an outdoor aviary

We've been planning to re-locate to Florida, where many residents have the big screened patios. We thought it'd be perfect for our "guys", because the weather is good for them to be outdoors, and there'd be plenty of space to fly and have the safety of a bigger, yet protected space. Any thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Okay. I'll be the bad guy, and probably thrown off this site. ( I did enjoy it, by the way!) I completely believe in time out, for a grey. When I got Sophie, at age two, she quickly went into the " terrible twos!" I didn't know much about caring for a grey, but realized quickly... if they have the intelligence of a five year old, they will understand what " timeout" is. If Sophie bit, and she did, I felt she would understand timeout. She did! I would remove her from her cage, put her in a separate cage ( no toys and boring!) She would spend five minutes in timeout. We discussed after, " I love you", but will not tolerate biting! If she bit five times... she went into timeout... five times! She understood within three months. Repitition

and consistency! Sophie was allowed wrist status only... until she told me, she understood. The day she was sitting on my wrist... said NO! NO bite! She pretended to bite someone that didn't exist...I was sooo excited! I praised her like crazy! She graduated to my shoulder. She was sooo happy and proud! She has lived on my shoulder since that day. Never once, an ear bite. Once it clicked for Sophie... she hasn't been in timeout since Nancy

Nancy

That is terrific! You obviously didn't underestimate Sophie's intelligence. Good job!

Sometimes my bird wants to play rough, but he knows now that he shouldn't bite hard. I wish my bird could sit quietly on my shoulder, but he is too hyperactive. He is constantly looking for something to do. I can pet him in my lap at night, but I can't stop petting or he will look for additional activity- usually tearing up the couch or something like that.

Well kins2321@yahoo.com I for one agree with you. I think a little time out gets the message across very well. I do the same with Misty on the rare occasions when he tries to take a chunk out. He sits on his perch in his cage and says " Be good boy'" "No biting" and "Can I come out". The only words I am sure he understand are "Can I come out" because he will use that expression when ever he thinks he is too long in his cage but I think the other two phrases are what he associates with the event and he knows that he has upset me and those phrases seem to work on me in that context.

Never the less a little bit of "Time out" does seem to get the message across without unnecessary trauma and it does seem to work with no hard feelings from either party. I must point out that in all cases he bites when I have not read the signs and I do know his triggers although to me as a mere human they don't seem that rational so mistakes are made occasionally. This procedure does seem to work because some of the situations when he used to be tempted are now not a problem.

The only trigger point for him now seems to be " The empty glass" or the "Water tumbler". If he comes across either he will try to engage with it and for obvious reasons I tend to intervene to avoid water being spilt or worse. For what ever reason he regards my interference as an affront to the dignity of Grey kind and will defend his interest with excessive enthusiasm. In all other situations he is a real cuddle bunny but this will set him off! There is something about water that can get him exited.

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Jayd and Maggie... it made me cry, to read about Joey.Thank you, for saving this wonderful bird. It was apparent quickly, that he started trusting you, actually quite quickly! I believe he is going to thrive, in your home. Yes, he will have some emotional problems and memories. But I think new memories, will outshine the bad ones. Thanks for caring for what I consider... " the greatest bird". Nancy

• 2 months later...

Being new here (and to the world of greys), I really appreciate the personal insights and experiences you've all shared in this thread. I'd probably never find this kind of information in a book I buy from Amazon.com :)

It's been a few years since I've had a bird in my home, and it's easy to forget that birds, being flock animals, interact and respond completely different than pack animals. I think most people who are new to having birds in their home naturally try to treat them like pack animals, and that's where they fail. Not on purpose, but just because of a lack of understanding the differences. So, thanks a lot for the reminder! And again, thanks for sharing your personal insights and experiences.

• Haha 1

I have my 3yr old African Grey that we got from someone.We have found out a lot about other owner from the our bird.We know the other owner is Bob and we know now that the lady who we got from had no contact with him(the bird).So my questions are:

1: I take care of him and he kinda trusts me out of my husband,so How do I get him to not bite me?

2:My parrot Pepper,Loves to talk with my husband but not trust him.So how do I get Pepper to respond to me?

I have tried to do treats,praise,and food.I get nothing but looks from him.So we have had him for 2 mth and I have earned his trust to a point.I can get Pepper into the shower and he hates it but we get it done.LOL But I can not pet him.My husband can rub his head for about 10 seconds. But I can't.I have read a lot of info from people on here to get me this far so I wanted to Thank everyone for your help. Sherry and Pepper

Sherry and Pepper... this is the fun and exciting part! Congratulations on being adopted by the most amazing bird on this planet. Ifn you can, place your birds cage in front of all the family activity. When you get home and are ready to demonstrate family activity... open the cage, play a game with hubby and offer for your bird to come out and play! It is up to them, to make the decision, you are trustworthy, and want to be part of the action. Don't rush new baby. It takes alot of time, and it can't be rushed. When Sophie DID finally come out, we were playing the game " trouble". We didn't go crazy... just accepted her presence. She wanted to pop the bubble in the worst way. She had to go to everyone in the group to " push" the bubble. ( Of course she thought she did it)> LOL Hence... she was learning " stepup". Whenever she got stressed... she went back to her cage, watched us from afar. She learned I was mom, "rom" to her. Kids were cool, but Rom always had a way of making the decisions.

As far as biting... I never put myself in a position to be bit. It was up to Sophie to initiate she was trusting me, and wanted to comeout. She was never allowed shoulder status for next six months after getting adopted. She let me know, when she understood biting issue. ( I also removed all of my earrings. I LOVE gemstones, and so does she!) LOL

Everyone gets bit unfortunately. Always make biting less attractive. No earrings. No shoulder status. Be patient, be the parent and let your grey understand your expectations. NEVER let them know you are afraid. I remember always saying to myself... " I am the parent, YOU are the child!" It has worked for me. A decade later, Sophie is always on my shoulder, preening me, regurgitating ( I know when a big one is coming!) I haven't been bit since she was three. She is as energetic as the day I met her. Sophie, is my best friend. BUT... when she is naughty... I let her know, and I become the parent. She knows! Nancy

Thank you for so much info.I really need that.We always have family night so this will be fun.I can't wait to start.Oh I do have one more question if you don't mind.We have got a play stand and a cadge.Pepper spends most of his time on his play stand.Should we put him to bed in his cadge? Or only use it as a time out ? or use it in every day life?Not sure what to do.He gets all his meals on play stand and doesn't really use his cadge.Oh and we have made everything to eye level and his temper to be Boss has gone way down.Thanks for the info you all know your stuff and We Love That!

Many don't believe in routine. I do. A playstand is always meant to be fun, and their " happy place!" A cage is for bedtime. Sophie goes to bed at 8pm, just like any child, that needs a set bedtime. NO arguements! ( unless we have a party, LOL)

I would suggest not starting with timeout at this time. Your baby needs to learn to trust you, and desire to be with you as a family. Focus on stepup training, diet and wrist status. Initially when Sophie was new, was working on the trust issue, but wasn't fully there yet, if she bit, I gently grabbed her beak, gently shook it and said no.( don't yell or scare your baby. Just be consistent.)

You have to have baby interested in the family, before timeout can happen. Maybe many months.Once Sophie was " hooked", wanted to be with us and wanted to please us, then I gave her timeout if gently shake of her beak and saying no, didn't work. She didn't go to her cage as it is filled with toys and a fun place to be. I had a smaller cage in dining room, away from all the other birds and us. No toys. She got five minutes and of course when she was done, we discussed it. I'm sure she met Ryan in the same room as the " timeout chair", was there also. I can imagine the conversation! Ryan: whatcha in for? Sophie: biting. What YOU in for? Ryan:punching my brother. Sophie: How much time do you have left in the joint? Ryan: five minutes. Sophie: whose your parole officer? Ryan: MOM! Nancy

So my questions are:

1: I take care of him and he kinda trusts me out of my husband,so How do I get him to not bite me?

/Don't give him the opportunity to bite. Watch his body language closely and learn what, even the slightest indication is like feathers ruffled a little, head starting to bend down, eyes pinning etc. I will say though, that greys become very adept at not telegraphing a bite and will sometimes surprise you completely. You will learn after a while what situations this normally occurs during and can then avoid them most the time. Also, at 3 they are full of piss and vinegar while trying to mature, kind of like a teenager trying to establish a place in life of their own Independence. At 2 years old onward is the age they start venturing out further from their mom and dad to start the journey of relying on their learned skills to survive, socialize at a higher level with the flock and yes start entertaining the thought of some day having a mate and trying some courting skills getting ready for when they become a 5 or 6 year old adult that will have a life long mate and start raising children of their own. This of course is learned through lots of trial and error. They receive negative feedback and psoitive feedback frm their parents and flock interactions. You are now the teacher, be wise, patient and loving.

2:My parrot Pepper,Loves to talk with my husband but not trust him.So how do I get Pepper to respond to me?

/You have only had him two months. He is still learning (believe it or not) your body language, whom he prefers (All greys have a favorite ) and will first display more interaction desires to on person and give lessened attention to the other. You will just have to accept the fact that pepper will be the one deciding when and how much attention you will receive comparatively speaking. Just ensure you do not try to force it and always be kind, loving, understanding and most importantly patient in the order of Job for what comes your way in small increases over time.

I have tried to do treats,praise,and food.I get nothing but looks from him.So we have had him for 2 mth and I have earned his trust to a point.I can get Pepper into the shower and he hates it but we get it done.LOL But I can not pet him.My husband can rub his head for about 10 seconds.

/ As I said above, 2 months is nothing, those looks are sizing you up, learning your body language to the atomic level, your voice tone, facial expression, the way you are breathing and even the emotions you may be trying to hide (which you cannot from a grey, they are empathic). The most important thing NOT to do is pressure him. If you ask for a step up and he does not offer to, just say ok and good something respecting his denial. IF you offer a treat and he does not accept, just say ok and do something else and do not place the treat for him to get it, take it with you. In other words, just respect his body language and he will soon respect yours as well (most the time).

Edited by danmcq