NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tinkerbell Mash - Best food by far for your Grey

shanlung

Part 3b of 3

I cannot imagine if the mash had turned bad that Riamfada would continue to eat the mash.

I extended that mash over into the next day for just 2 days. The way it was written in that forum, I was thought to be so cruel in poisoning Riamfada by forcing her to eat the mash left overnight.

Do not forget that Riam had plenty of sunflower seeds/almonds/brazil nuts and fruits in foraging jars all over in her room . So if Riam ate the mash, the mash had to be good enough.

Riam was not kept starved to force her to eat the mash.

Those who known me from the early days of Tinkerbell would recall the tar and feathers given to me when I allowed her to be flighted. I had so many letters declaring that I would clip her wings if I truly love her with that innuendoes that I did not love Tinkerbell by allowing her to be flighted. Nowadays, it is acceptable and even encouraged in many forums to allow your bird to be flighted and the benefits to the bird of being flighted. Perhaps if me and others like me had not started the ball rolling and gained acceptance of keeping parrots flighted , many more parrots would have their wings clipped.

I am used to the bashing of me when I first proposed using harness and leash to take your bird out safely. Almost all of that by people who never used harness and leash but knew so much about harness and leash. I know now that many folks are using harness and leash to take their birdies out safely, and no more bashing of them either.

Let us consider what are the additives that allow traditional birdie food to stay ‘fresh’ in the box without refrigeration whereas the mash must stay frozen or refrigerated.

Here is the list of the common additives found in pellets.

Ethoxyquin: Is listed and identified as a harsh hazardous chemical by OSHA. It was originally used to preserve rubber. This is not allowed in human food and some feel it is not a chemical that they want in their bird food. The FDA has asked manufacturers for voluntary reduction in its use in pet foods and is in the process of deciding whether or not to ban the use of it altogether. Bird’s bodies can not get rid of it like a dog or cat and it then builds up and causes problems. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis. Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.

Artificial Colors: Most people are aware of toxic side effects of artificial colors and flavors from coal tar derivatives such as Red #40, a possible carcinogen, and Yellow #6, which causes sensitivity to fatal viruses in animals. Artificial colors DO cause yellow feather discoloration in Eclectus.

BHT/BHA: These petroleum products are used to stabilize fats in foods. In the process of metabolizing BHA and BHT, chemical changes occur in the body. These changes have caused reduced growth rates and they inhibit white blood cell stimulation. In pets, they can exhibit reactions such as skin blisters, hemorrhaging of the eye, weakness, discomfort in breathing, a reduction of the body's own antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase and may cause cancer. According to Dr. Wendell Belfield, DVM, a practicing vet for some 26 years, both BHA and BHT are known to cause liver and kidney dysfunction and are banned in some European countries.

Propylene Glycol: Used as a de-icing fluid for airplanes, this chemical is added to food and skin products to maintain texture and moisture as well as inhibiting bacteria growth in products. It also inhibits the growth of friendly bacteria in the digestive system by decreasing the amount of moisture in the intestinal tract leading to constipation and cancer. It can affect the liver and kidneys and causes the destruction of red blood cells.

Salt: Added as a preservative, salt can irritate the stomach lining, cause increased thirst and aggravate heart and kidney problems through fluid retention.

Sodium Nitrite: Used in the curing of meats, this substance participates in a chemical reaction in the body that becomes carcinogenic. It is used also in pet foods to add color.

Sugar and other Sweeteners: The most common sweeteners in pet/bird foods are beet sugar, corn sugar, molasses and sucrose. They are used as preservatives and have the side effect of creating sugar addicts in pets. They require almost no digestion and are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. These will provide sugar highs (just as humans experience) and subsequent lows (moodiness), inhibit the proper growth of friendly intestinal bacteria and they virtually shut down the digestive system while being processed. Sugar can also contribute to diabetes and hypoglycemia, cataract development, obesity and arthritis.

I almost begin to feel the declarations that mash have lifespan of 3 hours which can then become poisonous for the birdie were started by commercial bird food companies to frighten people into buying their boxes of birdie food with their additives.

Then other people, which include yours truly here, accepted whats being said because ‘ that was always said’ and went on in good faith repeating that to yet other people.

Ethoxyquin , originally used to preserve rubber , BHT/BHA , petroleum products , Propylene Glycol, de-icing fluid for airplanes, are better for the health of the birdie?

Then you should stick to commercial birdie pellets that need not be refridgerated and can be left in the bowls for days.

Or mash that you prepare yourself and left with birdie for the day?

Riamfada seemed to indicate she was happy with the mash the whole day. That should not surprise me.

When I was in Taiwan and with Tinkerbell, I had no time to get back for lunch and the mash was left in morning till I got back in the evening. But I had no weighing machine or inclination to get weighing machine then. And her room in Taiwan was not aircond which meant an ambient room temperature of 30++C in summer.

Yingshiong was fed on Yingshiong Mash, a subset based on Tinkerbell mash. That mash was left there from morning until evening.

As I said in my last report, I stopped that experiment and changed Riamfada’s mash when I got home for lunch.

I have no longer that twinge of guilt at 10 am or at 330pm where the mash left with Riamfada passed that 3 hour period.

I will not have that fear either should I have the leave the mash with Riamfada for the entire day. Or even into the next day.

I think I fear those multi syllabic additives used to preserve rubber, or petroleum by-products or de-icing fluid for airplanes found in commercial pellets even more than the hypothetical fungus and bacteria which are at least natural.

If you feel birds are delicate creatures and must be kept in isolation from all germs and bacteria, then do that by all means. How birds survived and thrived the way they did in the wild before man came along I really wonder.

I am not any expert, just a common layman. I am not the expert that other experts want to claim that they are.

But Tinkerbell, Yingshiong and Riamfada are still alive and not keeled over as yet.

You, the readers, should take my studies and records for what it is worth.

You, the readers, should decide on your own fears and your own paths.

Read and see how Tinkerbell mash is made

Making of Tinkerbell Mash

Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

I hope I answer you fully and that you will think very seriously of making a batch of Tink Mash for your birdie with the love and care that you will put into that batch and bon appetite to your birdie

Thank you for the very thorough response, Shanglung! I have indeed read up on some of your embedded URLs, but certainly not all of them. I find them informative and descriptive.

This has definitely answered most of my questions, the only one I either missed the answer to or it was overlooked, is how long does a single batch of TM last you, on average? Do you have to make it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc?

Thank you for the very thorough response, Shanglung! I have indeed read up on some of your embedded URLs, but certainly not all of them. I find them informative and descriptive.

This has definitely answered most of my questions, the only one I either missed the answer to or it was overlooked, is how long does a single batch of TM last you, on average? Do you have to make it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc?

Look into for explicit details as to how long that batch of mash will last.

SA 2010 & things //other Batchs of mash? //Katleen//neighbour walks & exuberant flights

Hijacked and plagiariesd from above.

Batch 6

Mash Batch 6 // Flying in Shangrila Muscat // Seifa Al Sheikh Revisited

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/103613.html

Batch 7

The most explicit in details and photos of mash making

Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash

Batch 7

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

Batch 8

Iceland and Goldman // Jebel Akhdar // Tinkerbell mash batch 8

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/114545.html

What I posted in earlier report http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115814.html on my rant on "Ethoxyquin , originally used to preserve rubber , BHT/BHA , petroleum products , Propylene Glycol, de-icing fluid for airplanes," was not complete.

I continue on what I read on those commercial bird pellet additives.

"Go to your cupboard and get your pellets out and find out how many of these additives are in the brand you buy. If there is something else on the ingredients list and you don't know what it is, FIND OUT.

Do your research or ask questions of someone who can find out for you. Did you see the natural ingredients on your pellet ingredients list? Why not feed those items in their fresh, natural state instead?

How do YOUR pellets stack up?

(This list may need updating...check labels!)

Abba = ethoxyquin, artificial color, artificial flavor

Avian Special Needs = fish solubles, mineral oil

Avi-Sci =ethoxyquin

Breeders Blend=artificial flavors, salt

Hagen =salt

Harrison's = salt

Kaytee =ethoxyquin, artificial color, salt, BHT or BHA

Kellogg =ethoxyquin, artificial flavor, salt

Lafeber Pellets=ethoxyquin

Lefeber Nutriberries=ethoxyquin, propylene glycol

L&M Pellets=ethoxyquin, artificial color, artificial flavor

Pretty Bird Pellets=ethoxyquin, artificial flavor, salt, added sugar, BHT or BHA

Roudybush Pellets=ethoxyquin

Scenic=salt

ZuPreem=artificial flavor, BHT or BHA

"

BHA = Butylated hydroxyanisole

BHT = Butylated hydroxytoluene

Just so you know those multisyllibic additives should you continue to feed pellets to your birdies.

I read that a long time ago. I believe that report came out in 2005.

I did not bother to check if those companies modified, or reduced, or changed or even not report on the additives that they put in.

Even if they declared they are sorry and promised to change their ways.

By adding those additives in the first place, they no longer deserve any further trust from me. Your choice if you still want to continue to have faith in them.

I certainly do not have any more faith in them. I trust the mash that I made, even those that expired the 3 hour limit or over the day more than the additives those companies placed in the pellets.

If Madoff got Presidential pardon and out of jail and Madoff set up a brand new bank, will you ever want to trust Madoff and deposit your $$$ with him?

All this is dedicated to Mike Burton. A friend who left us all too soon and

gave the world Mike's Manna Mash and on which Tinkerbell Mash in all its forms

has been based.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/mikes_manna_mash/

Original Mikes Manna Mash recipe here

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/mikes_manna_mash/files/

The memory of Mike will live on in every bit of Mike's Manna Mash or Tinkerbell

Mash regardless of the batch or who made it or feed on it.

Batch 6 whipped up and written on 7 Sep 2009

Batch 7 written on 24th Jan 2010

Batch 8 written on 20th April 2010

Batch 9 written 20 Aug 2010

Much of what's written done in real time, + a period of obeisance to Goddess Procrastinatia.

Durations fluctuated as I gave away baggies left and right to people rescuing birdies or wanted some TM

Baggies also got hijacked and transmogrified into kittie mash.

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, nickraph said:

I’m excited to try this recipe.  Buying the ingredients today and will start tomorrow.  Looks like a good consistency!

Bon appetite!

To your birdie, and to you in case you overcomed with greed and decide to pinch and glut yourself on some of the wonderful mash you cooking up for for your birdie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...