NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The nursery--waiting for love

Dave007

What's so confusing? This is the Nursery and the bird's above live in nurseries until they're purchased. The pictures don't all have to be greys. All the other babies are just as important. That's why I put them there. A person comes to the Nursery and sees babies. You could also call that thread starter, the Baby introduction room. Go to the Amazon room and you'll see the same thing.

Edited by Dave007

Jacarual, Dave007 breeds parrots, his knowledge and experience are a definate asset to the forum, plus, he has an amazing sense of humour that gives me a great gut-laugh more often than not!

Dave, I am assuming that these are all the babies that you currently have? They are all so gorgeous, I didn't realize that you had such a variety of different birds. The macaws, are those scarlett or green-wing, I still struggle with trying to remember which is which, but I've fallen in love with them. I'm afraid my condo life probably wouldn't support the noise they can make though...

Xtreme575

As I already said, they're not my birds. They're photos of baby birds and I have no idea who owns them. I simply put them in to give a more interesting and visual header to this section. Because I'm now the new moderator here, I believe this section needs to be more attractive when people come to this section. It gives this board a more professional look and people will get a colorful view of chicks of all types.

Yes, those 2 macaws are greenwings.

The administrators can remove them at any time they want because of the different species of birds in the photos which aren't all greys. They may not feel that other species should be here.

Edited by Dave007

Now, now Dr. Flock, I know if I posted that I had found a baby vulture and needed to know how to care for it, you would do your darnedest to help me find a way to save it! This nursery and your expertise should be available to all our fids whatever species!

KissParrotLips.gif

BirdsKissFlyingHeart.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of a better moderator for this section. The baby pictures are adorable. It is only by chance that the baby we committed to was a grey and I wouldn't change it for the world, but it is still nice to see all the babies. This was the first place I came to get a forum fix while I get acquainted with the new look of our community.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear Dave, The babies are just wonderful and my hat off to you as I am having enough of a time trying to rear one baby grey.

Your advise as to the incubation period would be so greatly appreciated. Charlie is now 6 weeks old and developing so fast. I see a daily change in his wing feathers as well as his little stubby tail feathers.

He now weights 490g and starting to get really inquisitive and staying awake longer between feeds. I spend as much quality time as possible with Charlie who seems to be loving it. I am still maintaining the 30-35 degrees temperature at present in the brooder. When can I introduce him to the outstide world? Many Thanks Jeni

Dear Dave, The babies are just wonderful and my hat off to you as I am having enough of a time trying to rear one baby grey.

Your advise as to the incubation period would be so greatly appreciated. Charlie is now 6 weeks old and developing so fast. I see a daily change in his wing feathers as well as his little stubby tail feathers.

He now weights 490g and starting to get really inquisitive and staying awake longer between feeds. I spend as much quality time as possible with Charlie who seems to be loving it. I am still maintaining the 30-35 degrees temperature at present in the brooder. When can I introduce him to the outstide world? Many Thanks Jeni

Incubation is over. The word *incubation* has to do with the amount of time a hen spends sitting on the eggs until they hatch. Usually, after hatching the chicks stay with the hen until they're about 3 weeks old before being taken away. In your situation, the bird was given to you way before it should have been but it's too late to correct that.

The next step is called *brooding* The chick stays in a tank ( about the same size as an old 10 gallon fish tank. The the tank is 1/2 covered with a towel and the tank is heated with a 40 to 60 watt bulb which sits on the top of the tank until the hick is about 6 wks old. That's the chick's temporary home. When in the box the chick should be introduced to chopped up veggies (green) and a few pieces of small fruit. The bottom of the tank which should always have a towel in it. Along with veggies, some little bits of cereal should also be added so the chick learns how to pick up and chew things. Veggies should be removed when they start to dry out and shrivel. Then a new batch is added. etc etc. Some small parrot mix should also be added. (size should be the type that's given to conures.) Hand feeding should continue about 4 times a day until the chich decides to refuse a feeding. That means the you should lesson the amount of feedings by 1. Let's say from 4 to 3. All the other foods should be given in increased amounts. A cage can be introduced when the chick is about 8 to 10 weeks old. The bird should have all the necessary foods available to him and they should be in a place in the cage where the chick can easily get to them. Perches should be put low in the cage so he/she can learn balance on perches. If the bird is afraid of the cage, put it back in the tank and try again the next day etc etc. Never decide when you should stop hand feeding the bird. Let the chick tell you when to stop hand feeding. What that means is that the chick will eventually refuse to accept a certain feeding as above. That's called abundance feeding which is the healthiest way to wean a parrot. Sometimes it takes a longer amount of time, sometimes it takes a shorter amount of time to each that time frame. All parrots are different from each other even tho they're the same species. So now you have a basic idea of what to do and never get an unweaned chick again. In many countries, it's illegal to sell unweaned chicks.