NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR DEATH CAN OCCUR

SchroedersJen

Hi Jilly,

Harvey looks beautiful and the gray harness looks like a fashion statement. I'll have to ask Steve if he had help from his volunteer staff when choosing the colors that the Aviator is available in. Last Saturday a woman bought a female umbrella cockatoo from him and asked him for a pink harness. To my surprise he went into his stock and produced one. Who would think to have colors that are obviously fashion in an item that on the surface would seem utilitarian? Modernists would say form follows function. Obviously one of the functions is to have fun :)

What an incredibly sad story. The fear and distress this poor bird must have gone through in his last moments is very upsetting to think about.

Trying to understand what made this woman make such as obvious mistake is hard to say the least - you wouldn't leave a small child alone while it played with a plastic bag!!

Then I thought of a situation I had recently with one of my horses. A spot of mud fever popped up on one of them, I was surprised as I haven't been bothered with the mud fever for years. I slapped some lotion on to soften it, but after three or four days, it was no better. I've had horses for 25 years, and I think, have taken good care of them, but it wasn't enough in this case. WHen I mentioned the problem to a friend, she suggested honey. Of course! How could I have been so stupid - I used to use honey all the time, on all sorts of wounds, but not having needed to use it for a while, had forgotten all about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, sometimes you can get complacent and forget even the simplest of things.

On a lighter note, I think the stuffed parrot idea was genius! WHen I first got Alfie her Aviator I practiced (and got it wrong) on a stuffed bird a couple of times before I put it anywhere near Alf, when I did she accepted it with minimal fuss. We have used it many times, and the only time I've had a problem putting it on actually came about a fortnight ago - she started to scream as I put it on her, I tried for a few minutes, but she was obviously saying "no thank you!) so I put it away. Tried the next day and she was fine! She just mustn't have felt like a walk that day!

Thanks for sharing this with us Jen - it's reminded us to always remember the little "common sense" things that sometimes, as this woman tragically found out, we can take for granted.

Lyn & Alf

xx

P.s. Geez, sorry my posts are so long! It seems I can't cut a long story short!! x

• 2 weeks later...

Most of us have made errors in our lives and usually with out thinking things through. It is the unexpected that bites us. For a quirk of fate it could have been one of us instead,(answering the door or the phone)placing blame will not correct the death. I am certain she is heartsick and knowing she made the choice to leave the room is something she will always have to live with along with the memory of the struggle to save him. Maybe reading this and learning from it will save more lives, that is the best outcome from a tragic accident.

• 5 months later...

Speechless...totally speechless. The image I got when I read this story, takes my breath away. Putting the harness on and then leaving him in his cage. I mean...there is really nothing more to say. That is just not thinking, plain and simple. Complacency to the point of putting the bird in harms way.

The saddest thing I find about people who own or want to own birds, is how underestimated their intelligence and necessary care is.

This is a pet that more often than not, falls into the hands of someone insensative and\or incapable of putting themselvs in the mind of a pet.

I am so glad that I am in charge of Issac, I know that I have one bird that is going to be so loved, and I will actually more often than not, put myself in his shoes more than neccessary.

The only saving grace is that she has to now live with herself. I want to choke the owner. That makes me pretty angry. What a human doorstop. No sympathy for idiots.<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/03/05 20:24

• 1 month later...

Wow... I got all teary on this one. I wanted to try it with Nala but now I am not so sure I want to. Maybe 5 years from now. When I know she is really secure with me. Even though I want Nala to go out with me, I wouldn't want anything to happen to her. It's like forgetting to have child guards on the poison area in the bathroom. YOU JUST DON'T TAKE CHANCES LIKE THAT! My heart hurts for the owner... I don't know... just don't know. :(

But man where is the common sence in this. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is just aweful. It breaks my heart to hear that someone actually put that harness on their bird and left it in the cage. I am not the brightest bulb on the tree but I even know better than that.

I have had my harness for a month now. and I am still letting Houdini get use to it. I am taking my time because I dont want to scare him into not trusting me. I am anxious to be able to take him out with me, but at the same time I love him so much I would never put him in dangers way.

I think it is good you put that on here so people can read it and be aware of the dangers.

• 9 months later...

I feel absolutely nauseous after reading about this incident. I can't even think of anything else to say. I know I have 'mental blips' occasionally with things like everything else does sometimes but that... was just horrible. Wretched, stupid woman for not following the directions and being arrogant about it all! :( :( :(

wow how awful :( so sad and really stupid it makes me really angry. I'm a new owner and I think it would be common sense to not put a bird in the cage with the harness... freaking out or not. I am sure all of our babies love to do the occasional flip and dangle acrobatics in the cage, a dangling harness would just be in the way and snag then wrap around stuff... ugh would she have ignored the little warnings on window blinds that tell you not to put a babies crib close enough so the baby can't reach them?

I am really grateful for this post and the fact that someone commented recently so I actually noticed it. I am planning on getting a harness for Rorschach and rest assure I will be taking proper precautions to make it the most pleasant experience for everyone.

Thanks again for this post.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So how do you get a grey used to a harness? My CAG is 3 months old and I have put him in it a couple times so far and I dont think he likes it. Is it just to keep putting him in it when I want to take him somewhere or outside and eventually he will get used to it?

So how do you get a grey used to a harness? My CAG is 3 months old and I have put him in it a couple times so far and I dont think he likes it. Is it just to keep putting him in it when I want to take him somewhere or outside and eventually he will get used to it?

With my Houdini I started out letting him get used to having my hands on his head over his eyes and under his wings.....we did this a very very long time. then I let him play with the harness I set it up on top of his cage and he played with it so that he could understand it would not hurt him. then I took the last step which was putting the harness over his head. talking to him the whole entire time, loves for me to tickle him under his wings so when it got to putting his wings through I would just say tickle, tickle , tickle be quick and smooth about it.. You want to be gentle with them and not to scare them or make them mad and wanna bite.

Now....the worst part and still is...is getting it off..............as long as I take my time be patient and keep talking to him keep his mind busy on something else we get it off smoothly..

Good Luck to you it will be fine...just take your time

I've just found this thread, but would like to add, each grey is different. What time it takes for one grey to become accustomed to the aviator harness can be very different for another. Beau started in the aviator harness within days of bringing him home. It was a necessity as he was injured on his right wing and loved to jump. The harness was used with supervision only and I believe saved his life - he was easily spooked and would jump but the aviator actually caught him from hitting the floor. Obviously he had a very short lead. But keeping Beau from heights was very important and taking him out and socializing him even more important, so on my shoulder we would venture. Today Beau willing lowers his head to put the harness on, it's a piece of cake. Dixie on the other hand was stubborn and it took me almost 6 months to get it on her. To this day she still balks somewhat to putting the harness on, but once there, she's ready to go. I think she prefers to let me think she's giving in to the harness, but really looks forward to wearing it.

I've just found this thread, but would like to add, each grey is different. What time it takes for one grey to become accustomed to the aviator harness can be very different for another. Beau started in the aviator harness within days of bringing him home. It was a necessity as he was injured on his right wing and loved to jump. The harness was used with supervision only and I believe saved his life - he was easily spooked and would jump but the aviator actually caught him from hitting the floor. Obviously he had a very short lead. But keeping Beau from heights was very important and taking him out and socializing him even more important, so on my shoulder we would venture. Today Beau willing lowers his head to put the harness on, it's a piece of cake. Dixie on the other hand was stubborn and it took me almost 6 months to get it on her. To this day she still balks somewhat to putting the harness on, but once there, she's ready to go. I think she prefers to let me think she's giving in to the harness, but really looks forward to wearing it.

I totally agree it does take time and each parrot is different in how they respond to the harness. I did not try it right away when we got him home because he had a bad flight to start with he was put on a plane at 8am left at a terminal and forgotten and we didnt get him in until midnight so he was not happy by the time we picked him up. he had no food , no water, nothing, so , I took my time with him to earn his trust . He is the greatest pet I have ever had. He is totally awesome.

Oh god. I can't help but write: 'what an impatient idiot'! I'm sorry. Not for her, but for the Grey. Greys are known to need time with new things. (Or at least most of them.) And after having an African Grey for 25 years, wouldn't she know that? I feel like crying. This really, really saddens me.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...