NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

UVB LIGHTING--IT'S IMPORTANCE

Dave007

• 4 weeks later...
HI, is this the same thing as full spectrum lighting,thanks

Yes it is.

UVB ----Ultra Violet Bulb----Full Spectrum Lighting. There's other different bulbs (strengths, rays, heat)of the same type. Most of those others have to do with reptiles such as snakes, eguanas, certain frogs. We only discuss the ones that have to do with birds. All of these bulbs are usually purchased at pet shops or online. Dan will tell you more if you want.Full Spectrum Lighting provides the rays of light that normally come from the sun but for the last 25 years or so, house glass window, car window( actually, just about all glass) is filtered so those rays don't contain the full spectrum of light. Natural sun rays are beneficial to birds. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dave007

• 2 months later...

I have another question, I just put the lamp back up, but Babalu is out of his cage most of the day... He likes to sit on too of the cage most of the time. So is it useless? Also his cage is by a window, I know the window blocks the good stuff, but the natural light is so bright you can't tell the light is on, does that affect it?

Oh, and I forgot the distance it's suppose to be from the highest perch... Is it 18"?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by KimKim

Read the directions that came with the bulb, from what I've read online it varies from bulb to bulb. The one I use says 18-24" during the burn in period (don't remember how long that is) then 12-18" after burn in period. The rays from the light are still effective even if you can't see the light itself. If your window is treated with UV protection (I think that is the right term) like mine are, your bird won't get any helpful rays through it.

I know what you mean about the bird moving around and wondering if the light does that much good. I'd say some is better than none, so my policy is to leave the light on and assume he gets at least some benefit!

• 2 months later...

I was totally unaware of needing to buy a light and thought it was only used by breeders. How silly I feel now and will now add this to my list of needs to buy the next time I am in the city. I live in a small town so either buy online or make a trip. I am sure being that I live in Alberta, Canada where we get all kinds of weather and with our winter being the longest season that this will be a must. It is so great to have all you here to help me as I have much to learn.

Don't feel silly! I was on the forum for a couple of months before lighting came up and I got mine. Live and learn. It's all good :) I was a total noob when I brought Timber home. If I hadn't found the forum during the first week after I rehomed him, I don't know what would have happened. He would probably still be glaring at me from the corner of his cage and eating a Walmart seed diet... Well, maybe not that bad, but we all start somewhere! :)

• 1 year later...

From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems like UV lighting is highly beneficial. However, one thing I have read is that the lighting should be placed above the bird. The only thing is my cage has a playstand perch built on top of it, which has a pull-out metal tray underneath it. This means I can't put a UV light directly over the top of the bird cage. The only available place is to attach it to the side of the cage and angle it downwards towards the main middle perch of the cage (where the food/water bowls are).

Would this be ok? Or does the lighting have to be directly above the bird so it doesn't look into it too much?

From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems like UV lighting is highly beneficial. However, one thing I have read is that the lighting should be placed above the bird. The only thing is my cage has a playstand perch built on top of it, which has a pull-out metal tray underneath it. This means I can't put a UV light directly over the top of the bird cage. The only available place is to attach it to the side of the cage and angle it downwards towards the main middle perch of the cage (where the food/water bowls are).

Would this be ok? Or does the lighting have to be directly above the bird so it doesn't look into it too much?

Hi-----I'm very sure about what type of cage (style) you're referring to. The vast majority of cages that are sold have that upper tray just under a playstand type top. As far as lighting, It's good for greys but they can grow and be healthy without the lights. But since you already have the lights you may have to use a bit of redesigning with that light. It needs to be put on top of the crossbar part of that upper playstand. It needs to be positioned about 10 inches above that playstand bar. You may need to put an extention that has a clip on the frame of the light so that it can be put on the playstand bar. You see, there's a long list of styles that have a bird light. Another way of doing it is to use that same type of extention but make sure it's about 18 to 20 inches long. By doing that, you can bypass the playstand bar and simply hook it on to the top of the cage and position it right on the back wall of the cage.

Yes you're right. Any light shouldn't be placed on the side where a bird can't help but to look at it. It's possible that a bird can get cataracts or vision loss. Some people are able to get a refund or exchange it for a different style.

What I've told people in the past who haven't been able to exchange a light or just can't afford one is just to forget about putting a light on at all. I've told 100s of people that and most have never had any problems

OH and one other thing concerning that crossbar on the playstand---there's a possibility that your bird may decide to not even bother to go up to the playstand area if you hook something on it but that shouldn't be a problem because there's loads of playstands that can be purchased or even homemade. Many people like to make their own.

Edited by Dave007

Hi-----I'm very sure about what type of cage (style) you're referring to. The vast majority of cages that are sold have that upper tray just under a playstand type top. As far as lighting, It's good for greys but they can grow and be healthy without the lights. But since you already have the lights you may have to use a bit of redesigning with that light. It needs to be put on top of the crossbar part of that upper playstand. It needs to be positioned about 10 inches above that playstand bar. You may need to put an extention that has a clip on the frame of the light so that it can be put on the playstand bar. You see, there's a long list of styles that have a bird light. Another way of doing it is to use that same type of extention but make sure it's about 18 to 20 inches long. By doing that, you can bypass the playstand bar and simply hook it on to the top of the cage and position it right on the back wall of the cage.

Yes you're right. Any light shouldn't be placed on the side where a bird can't help but to look at it. It's possible that a bird can get cataracts or vision loss. Some people are able to get a refund or exchange it for a different style.

What I've told people in the past who haven't been able to exchange a light or just can't afford one is just to forget about putting a light on at all. I've told 100s of people that and most have never had any problems

OH and one other thing concerning that crossbar on the playstand---there's a possibility that your bird may decide to not even bother to go up to the playstand area if you hook something on it but that shouldn't be a problem because there's loads of playstands that can be purchased or even homemade. Many people like to make their own.

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't bought the light or unit yet, was going to wait to see what people said. If I wanted to have the light shining into the cage from above then I'd need to remove the top slide-tray whenever the bird is in the cage. Which is no big deal, my only concern is that space it at a premium where I live at the moment (will be moving in the Spring).

The only other issue I have is that if the parrot has full spectrum lighting whilst inside the cage she won't have it when she's on the playstand on top of the cage. Won't that distort her vision, going from one to the other all the time?

I could get one with a stand so it can be moved around depending on when she's in her cage or on top? I'm still concerned about the difference in her sight when she's under UV and when she's not though.

**********Thanks for your reply!

I haven't bought the light or unit yet, was going to wait to see what people said. If I wanted to have the light shining into the cage from above then I'd need to remove the top slide-tray whenever the bird is in the cage. Which is no big deal, my only concern is that space it at a premium where I live at the moment (will be moving in the Spring).

The only other issue I have is that if the parrot has full spectrum lighting whilst inside the cage she won't have it when she's on the playstand on top of the cage. Won't that distort her vision, going from one to the other all the time?

I could get one with a stand so it can be moved around depending on when she's in her cage or on top? I'm still concerned about the difference in her sight when she's under UV and when she's not though. *********

I can see that you're worrying but you shouldn't be. Lighting for a bird is pretty easy. You simply get a fixture, put the light over the top of the cage, turn it on and walk away. A light shouldn't be moved around just because the bird is in a different part of the cage. Ever see any wild birds that actually stay under the sun all day long?? Of course not because birds don't stay in direct sun light all day long.

It doesn't matter if the upper tray is in or out. The light needs to be above the bird's body, not on the side. The light shouldn't be positioned on the sides of the cage.

So, to make this simple, I've added a picture of a light. The light is above the top of the cage. The upper part of the stand is bendable. Once the light is positioned it should be left alone. You shouldn't be following the bird with the light. At the most, a parrot only needs about 4 hours of light per day. A little less--fine. A little more---fine. All day long----fine.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+24615&pcatid=24615

**********Thanks for your reply!

I could get one with a stand so it can be moved around depending on when she's in her cage or on top? I'm still concerned about the difference in her sight when she's under UV and when she's not though. *********

I can see that you're worrying but you shouldn't be. Lighting for a bird is pretty easy. You simply get a fixture, put the light over the top of the cage, turn it on and walk away. A light shouldn't be moved around just because the bird is in a different part of the cage. Ever see any wild birds that actually stay under the sun all day long?? Of course not because birds don't stay in direct sun light all day long.

It doesn't matter if the upper tray is in or out. The light needs to be above the bird's body, not on the side. The light shouldn't be positioned on the sides of the cage.

So, to make this simple, I've added a picture of a light. The light is above the top of the cage. The upper part of the stand is bendable. Once the light is positioned it should be left alone. You shouldn't be following the bird with the light. At the most, a parrot only needs about 4 hours of light per day. A little less--fine. A little more---fine. All day long----fine.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+24615&pcatid=24615

Thanks for the advice! One of those bendable types would be ideal.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I could get one with a stand so it can be moved around depending on when she's in her cage or on top? I'm still concerned about the difference in her sight when she's under UV and when she's not though

UVB LIGHTING--IT'S IMPORTANCE Sticky #34------ Any light shouldn't be placed on the side where a bird can't help but to look at it. It's possible that a bird can get cataracts or vision loss. Some people are able to get a refund or exchange it for a different style.

• 3 years later...

I am a little curious about this, and what I should be doing.  We have window shades open during the dayon the south and easy side of the room my girls are in. Their cages are on the north and east walls. None are in direct sunlight, but have natural light all day. Is that enough?

• Like 1

I think they need direct light. I use an avian sun lamp, and leave it on several hours each day. If you buy one, make sure you get the right bulb. Sometimes places will sell reptile lights and say they are fine for birds but they are not. The Avian Sun doesn't generate any heat, just both sun components (UVB and UVA I believe?). Like people, they need direct sun or a light that provides it to metabolize certain nutrients.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Timbersmom said:

I think they need direct light. I use an avian sun lamp, and leave it on several hours each day. If you buy one, make sure you get the right bulb. Sometimes places will sell reptile lights and say they are fine for birds but they are not. The Avian Sun doesn't generate any heat, just both sun components (UVB and UVA I believe?). Like people, they need direct sun or a light that provides it to metabolize certain nutrients.

Thank you. I'll probably find a bird place to get the light.  We have chain pet stores and they don't have this kind of thing in the bird areas.

• Like 1

Natural sunlight (not from behind glass) is the best- so taking your bird outside in travel cages (or having an outdoor aviary) is the best source for this... or whilst wearing a harness if your bird is harness trained. Either way, they should be secure so they can't spook and fly away. However this obviously depends on weather and temperatures in your area! The next best thing is an avian safe UV light. Make sure it's an avian one and not a reptile one though. You can locate these above the cages or above their favourite perches. 

• Like 1