NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I am so excited :) I may have found my grey!

Summerc25

I have been e-mailing with a girl that lives about an hour away from me that I found on Kijiji about her one year old grey. She is willing to sell me the bird, cage and accessories for $650. Playstand included in that! Sounds too good to be true lol Depending on the cage I may still have to get him a new cage. I told her that I would like to come meet him and see if he likes me or not and if he does I want him. She is really busy and does not have time for him. She says he is friendly but we will see. She has had him since 4 weeks old. Isn't that a bit young to have gotten him? Maybe she had previous experience with parrots and raising them. That part makes me a bit nervous that he may not have been fed well as a baby but I am going to go see him and go from there. Wish me luck :)

Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/24 05:33

Edited to fix my typos lol<br><br>Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/24 13:49

I wouldn't expect to much after all the bird doesn't know you and his mom is going to be right there if she Hand fed him they probubly have a very close bond and he may not want to come to you with her being right their and with you being a stranger. That said if he is only a year old then he is still very much a baby and will bond with you quite quickly once he is away from his mom. So if he try to bite you don't take it seriously its just because him human mom is right there. Good luck and I hope everything works out better for if he was handfed by this person they have a very close bond and there is a good chance that hewon't be that excepting of you if his mama is there He is only a year old so he will bond to you quite quickly once you are the only person around taking care of him. Please don't be discouraged if he doesn't take to you imediatly.

Thanks all and great advice Tyco's mom :) The poor little guy must be very lonely alot right now. The owner is working on her PHD, has twin 2yr olds and a 4yr old, is working a full time internship, and writing a dissertation. I think that is why she is looking for a new home for him, because she does not have time to give him enough attention. I am waiting on her to email me back about when I can come and meet him. She must only check her e-mail once a day and I am dying to get a response lol I know she has two other people that are asking about him because she said they wanted pictures too so she was going to take some when she had tme and I told her forget the pictures because I am close enough to just drive to see him. Hopefully that puts the other interested parties back if they are waiting n pictures lol<br><br>Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/24 13:46

Well good luck Summer and that is great that they live close enough for you to go visit the grey, at least you won't be buying sight unseen.

Pat is right, the grey may not take to you when you visit for he is bonded with her but at one year of age he is young enough for a new bond to form fairly quickly with you if you get him.

I hope your visit goes well and you get this grey if you want him, let us know how it goes.

Good luck summer!!

That is a great deal considering all the equipment you get. The big bonus, is you are rescuing a Grey from an environment he can not thrive and enjoy life in. From the description, it would be more like being in a prison cell looking out and just wishing you could be out there with the flock.

Looking forward to hearing how this all turns out. :-)

Hey all

I talked to the owner of the bird again. She is very nice and she is sad to let him go but she feels it is best for him. She also wanted it in the contract that if I decide to ever part ways with him for any reason that she will get him back. She said he is her baby and very much a part of the family but she is trying to do what she feels is best for him now even though she may regret it later. She said money is not an issue if I have to pay her part later but she just wants him to have a loving home. Hopefully I never have to part ways with him but just in case some health emergency or something happens that is very nice to know she wants him back. It also tells me that she really really loves him and took good care of him. I am going to tell her I will be glad to send her pics and videos of him too if I get him. They have to all meet me first and make sure he and the family all like me :) Talk to you guys soon!

Tried editing to add the picture she sent me. It says it is too large. I will add it to my profile temporarily instead if that works.

Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/25 04:36<br><br>Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/25 04:37

I hope everything goes okay for you it does sound promicing so far I hope this Grey fall head over heals for you so his owner knows that you are the right person for him. I know you must be so excited I know when I was getting Tyco I couldn't get it together fast enough she needed to get out of where she was imediatly and it took me almost 4 days to come up with the money for her I must have phone every person I know to borrow money so many people thought I was right out of my mind trying to borrow money to buy a bird. She was in home where she was abused and neglected and I had to get her out of there quick every thing worked out great. I hope everything works out great for you as well please keep us updated no matter what happens I can't wait to hear, I rooting for you.

His name is SZ right now, that is another thing I wondered if I can change his name or if that would be too confusing for him. I cannot get the pic to upload but he is gorgeous :) I just hope she lets me get him. I just emailed her back alot of stuff about me and that includes that I have kitties so I hope that does not end this for me lol

I am going to try to attach three pictures of my (hopefully) future grey that his curent owner took and sent to me. I love him already, he is beautiful. He comes from a really great and loving family and I can't wait to meet them both this weekend. She said he loves apples and french fries and he asks for french fries. She also said he is bilingual hehe That is really neat. I canot wait to go see him, I am in love with him already! Anyone have suggestions on what to do when I meet him for the first time to make him more comfortable? I am going to bring him treats already. Now I need to go read up some more on parrot proofing to make sure I have nothing that is bad for him around. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Zulu2.jpg

Zulu2.jpg

This sounds good.When you first meet him dont force yourself on him. Let him come to you if he wishes.He may not,greys can be suspicious of strangers.Just let him see you and talk to him in a soft voice.Ask about his diet and vet records,his temprement,does he like or hate anything.Hope all goes well.He is a nice grey.

He is gorgeous. I hope it all works out for you and SZ. Don't expect too much on the first meeting. Greys are very cautious and don't worry if he doesn't seem too interested in you at first. If he does, that is great but if not, don't get discouraged.

As for changing the name. I changed my greys name. Got him when he was 12 years old and I changed it to Baxter. He caught on very quick and knows his name. Several others have changed their greys names too. Good luck.

Well she was calling him SZ to me but now she has told me his name is actually Shaka Zulu. I may just call him Zulu. I wanted to name him myself but I hate to change his name and make him confused. Wow there are alot of things that are toxic to these guys. I am about to do a major clean up. I burn scented candles all the time so I have tons. I will have to give them to my sister to take home. :S I have to figure out cleaning products next...lol

I use Clorox wipes all the time. Does anyone know if those are okay to use in a room he is not in?

Summer, wipes like that don't have a heavy fragrance, so as long as there's no chance your bird will ever beak the item you've used it on I think it should be ok. If you're unsure wipe down things with a clean damp cloth after you use them. Wash your hands of course after using them.

Do Zulu's current family have papers from a DNA test, or do they just call him a him? If they got him directly from a breeder there should be some paperwork that came with him.

There's soooo much info here about cleaners, toys, safe wood etc. . . Kill the time you're waiting to meet him reading and you'll be ready for your new family member. My heart breaks a little for the ones giving Zulu up, but I'm glad he's had such a loving home. It should make his adjusting to your home easier. Keep us informed.

Looks beautiful. Don't expect him to be friendly with you though. You'll have to see how he is with her and with you right there staring at him he may be even reserved with her. My grey just isn't the silly little personality filled guy he usually is when other people are around.

Yes she just wrote me back and said not to bring him any treats because he prefers one on one time as a treat and not edible treas as much. She said he eats that stuff all the time, fresh fruits etc and to just come and spend time with him. I know he will likely bite me ornip at me and thats okay with me. I just hope its k with her and she realizes that he may not be thatfriendly to me up front. I am sure she does. Thank you all for the compliments on my future baby ( I hope) and for the advice :)