NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Palm nuts

Socrates07

I went through the same search for Palm Nuts over a year ago.

If enough people wanted to spilt up the order (Huge) it would work.

Here is the information:

contacted Richard Sawyer.

He is a very personable Man that owns a Queen Palm Orchard. He also owns a CAG and 2 Hycynth Macaws.

He goes out and picks the Orders fresh when he receives them. The trees bare fruit all year round.

The miniumum order is $100 for 50 pounds!!

You must get a fedex account so you can provide him with your fedex number to ship them to you and then fedex will bill the shipping charges to you depending on which method you select.

YOu simply send him a check and he pulls your order and ships it.

I am going to see how many Grey owners I can rally up here to split the 50 pounds. I do not own a seperate freezer to store that large of a quantity.

You need to freeze what you will not use in a week so they will not start turning vinegary.

He also said that you can smash the Nut once your Grey has stripped the flesh and give it back to them. It contains a Coconut type of center that they love.

You may all want to do the same unless you own a freezer.

His contact info is:

Richard Sawyer

P.O. Box 854

Naples, Florida 34106

(239) 248-2165

I was serious a little over a year ago when I tried to get enough people interested.

But, we could try again. What it entails is, the owner personally goes out and hand picks the ripe palm fruit. He will only do a 50lb order or he would be running up and down those trees every 10 minutes getting 1 pound orders :P.

So, to make this work, one of us has to place the order and have it shipped to there house. Then divide up the Palm Nuts into portions and ship them atleast 2 day, maybe 3 to the other purchasers. The reason the shipping in 2 or 3 day delivery is to ensure they are still good and fresh. The will start turning vinegary fairly fast once ripe and picked. Thus the needed to first rinse them thoroughly when received by the first person that receives the 50lb order, repacking and shipping out ASAP.

The problem I now have is I am working most the time all 5 days a week in san jose and would not be home to receive, rinse, repackage and ship those palm nuts to ensure they are still fresh for the other purchasers.

I am certainly open to volunteers or someone else taking over the details. :-)

I figure I could only use/fit 10lbs maximum in my freezer without Kim killing me for not having enough room for people food in there. :P

Toni - thank you for recommending Double-Dutch. I attempted ordering from them last Saturday and the e-mail I got back said he had closed his business in April 2008.

I am definitely interested in sharing a 50lb order. I might even be foolish enough to offer to split the order up and send them on to others.

You guys are great! Let me know what you think and thank you so much.

Ok, our own lovely and very active member Janet (LuvParrots) called the Florida supplier. It turns out that he is now excepting orders of 6 lbs minimum, which means we can each call and get our own shipment!! :-)

Thanks You Janet!! Karma to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, I went and ordered palm nuts from Richard Sawyer. Very nice guy. They are $36 with shipping for a 7 lb box. Richard says send a check for $36 to his P.O. Box number and as soon as he gets the check he will pick and mail same day. Richard said, when you get them you should wash, dry and freeze what you don't use. Palm nuts apparently grow all year (he is in Florida). Ana Grey has tried some and so have I, they are tasty though they are a bit stringy for me!!!!!

Pictures attached!!!

Box received:

004-4-1.jpg

Inside box:

007-5-1.jpg

005-4-1.jpg

After washing:

008-6-1.jpg

Packaging:

010-4-1.jpg

Freezing:

011-1-1.jpg

This is my freezing method, others probably have their own methods. I am no freezing guru!!!

I haven't defrosted or given Ana Grey any frozen ones yet!!

Thank you for calling and doing this for us! I have been reading about them from time to time in different places and was interested in getting some. Did you just put them in a bag and freeze them or did you add something. Oh, and do we have to call first or can we just send a check with a note in the mail. Karma to you!!:cheer:

He will call you back if you ask but he said he is very busy and people should just send a $36 check with mailing information, name and address. He says he will pick and mail the same day. True to his word I mailed my check from Washington State on Friday and on the next Friday received my palm nuts from Florida. He just said wash, dry and freeze. I did not add anything extra to the palm nuts.