NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A successful wing clipping

spookyhurst

Nikko hasn't been clipped for about a year and a half. She used to be very good about staying on her gym, but lately had taken to breezing around the house at will...usually to do something that would get her in trouble. My dad was always getting angry with her, so I decided it was time to clip a few feathers. She won't be seeing her vet until spring (it's a looonnnggg drive), so my mom I decided to finally suck it up and do it ourselves.

After brushing up on the technique by looking at sites on the internet, we felt more or less ready. Poor Nikko, she was unsuspectingly sitting on my bed when we threw a towel over the top of her. My mom picked her up and positioned her as best she could, and I pulled her wings out and clipped off 3 on each side. She cried horrible cries (she always does when getting clipped), but it was over pretty fast. I didn't do her toenails, because I didn't want to over-traumatize her. When we let her out of the towel, she wasn't angry at all. If fact, she wanted to sit on my shoulder for comfort. Her general attitude has improved in the days since too, namely she has quit biting the crap out of my hands when I go to pick her up from someplace she doesn't want to leave.

Nikko can still fly, but she really has to pump her wings instead of effortlessly breezing about. This has curtailed her trips quite a bit. It's kind of sad though when she glides onto the floor instead of making it to her destination. I hated to do it, but ultimately, she'll probably be better off without full flight.

It is a hard decision to make. I dont like the idea of clipping but I do realise it is sometimes unavoidable, my tiel was clipped a few months ago because he kept flying to my grey and was in danger of ending up bitten or killed. I dont have the grey clipped .Like you I found my tiel has become a lot more friendly and well behaved. He can still fly very well but it has just slowed him down a bit.

You shouldn't be worrying about your karma ratings. You did what you feel you had to do without cruelty. If someone didn't like what you did, that person can step forward and say so. This isn't grade school where gold stars are handed out for kissing the teacher's you know what.

The only bad thing that occurred was that you almost had a heart attack and almost missed out on your Xmas dinner. Luckily, you recovered. Merry Xmas.

Well Spooky, knowing you for so long, it was no light dicision, I am am certain. If your Dad was getting mad. It's better to keep the peace and not need to worry about your Dad one day just deciding he is sick and tired of the bird and make you get rid of it.

Karma back to you, for making tough dicisions, for the right reasons. :-)

I always enjoy your posts. :-)

Thanks guys! In the future, I'll pay no mind to cranky karma stealers ;).

It takes very little for my dad's temper to flare, and although Nikko is usually a great little bird, she does a good job of angering him. It really bugs him when she makes her high pitched peep, or even when she whistles little songs. He says it hurts his ears, which is weird, because his hearing is terrible. He really really hates it if she flies when there is food on the counter or table. Tonight, she was able to fly the short distance from her gym to my shoulder at the dinner table, reached down to the burger I had at my mouth, and ripped off a piece of cheese. I could see my dad's blood boiling, but thankfully he chose to keep his mouth shut. He even stayed at the table (normally he would grab his plate and sit in another room). Nikko doesn't make it a habit to fly to the dinner table (I feed her first, so she's usually satisfied), but tonight she just picked at her dinner, and when she saw I had cheese, flap flap flap flap :silly:. It's a good thing he wasn't around the day Nikko was eating carrot soup out of my bowl :ohmy:. I guess some people are bird people, and some people aren't.

You did no wrong as you have to live in the wider context of home. Keeping harmony where you live is very important.

Should I worry about karma points? I have next to nothing compared to you folks.

Maybe I am a wicked person with loads of karmic debts from former lives.

Shanlung

I hate the idea of clipping. Fortunately your Nikko is a well socialized bird and is not troubled by the trauma. Besides she can still fly and the extra effort required is good exercise for her.So karma to you. Never the less,

I think you should seriously consider rehoming your father for his own good!

{Emotions-00020060}

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/12/23 14:04

I balanced out the "karma stealer" and just bumped you back up! lol

Our grey isn't clipped, but she never learned to fly well, so she still slowly falls to the ground and it's scary because I don't want her to get hurt. But then if we give her flight lessons, than she can get into more mischief in the house...so there is always a positive and negative side to everything.

LOL :lol:

Sometimes I think my dad does need rehomed, but then he'll go and be sweet with Nikko. She loves it when he gives her any amount of attention, and dances when he sings to her.

I wouldn't worry about you karma Shanlung :). I, for one, really enjoy your advice and stories!

Goralka08 wrote:

I balanced out the "karma stealer" and just bumped you back up! lol

Our grey isn't clipped, but she never learned to fly well, so she still slowly falls to the ground and it's scary because I don't want her to get hurt. But then if we give her flight lessons, than she can get into more mischief in the house...so there is always a positive and negative side to everything.

Well, my karma is way above what it was thanks to you guys :).

Nikko was like your grey once. She really didn't know how to fly, so when she wanted to go somewhere, she would fuss and flick her wings till I picked her up. I'm not sure when she decided to give flying a chance, but she was quite clumsy about it and her landings were terrible. Pre-wing trim, she had progressed to being able to fly almost anywhere she wanted, and could land quite well! But like you said, it led to her getting into a lot of mischief :evil:. She also became more bitey, and would refuse to step up from her landing spot (somewhere she wasn't supposed to be). Since I'm not the favorite person, I received the bulk of her abuse.

The wing trim caused an instant transformation. She doesn't bite me know, and steps up when asked. It's strange how a little independence can turn a bird into a little monster at times.

I DON'T KNOW WHO IS BEHAVING IN SUCH A CHILDLIKE MANNER AND 'STEALING' KARMA, BUT I THINK IT IS TIME TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I AM VERY UPSET AT WHAT I AM WITNESSING HERE, I HAVE KNOWN SPOOKYHURST FOR OVER 3 YEARS FROM ANOTHER BIRD FORUM AND HERE AS WELL . I HAVE SEEN OVER 8000 OF HER POSTS, AND YOU WILL NEVER FIND A KINDER, MORE RESPECTED PERSON THAN SHE IS. SHE IS ALWAYS POSITIVE, NEVER JUDGMENTAL, NEVER INSULTING IN ANY WAY. SHE IS HELPFUL, SHE SHARES HER IDEAS AND ADVICE WITH US. I FEEL LUCKY TO HAVE HER HERE AS A MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY.

SHE DESERVES TO BE TREATED AS SHE TREATS EVERYONE HERE. JUST BECAUSE SHE CLIPPED HER BIRDS WINGS FOR IT'S OWN SAFETY AND HARMONY OF HER HOME, JUDGING HER? HAVE YOU EVEN WALKED IN HER SHOES FOR A MINUTE WITH ANY THOUGHT AS TO HOW HARD A DECISION THAT WAS FOR HER? I KNOW HOW HARD THAT DECISION WAS FOR HER, AND IF YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO READ HER PAST POSTS, YOU WOULD LEARN HOW DEEPLY SHE FELT THAT NIKKO BE ALLOWED FREE FLIGHT IN HER HOME. IT IS NOT ANYONE'S PLACE TO PASS JUDGMENT ON HER, YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW HER CIRCUMSTANCES, NOR DO YOU DESERVE TO. SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN HERSELF TO US.

AS FAR AS SHANLUNG LOSING KARMA? I HAVE NEVER MET A MORE GIVING MEMBER. HE COMES HERE WITH HIS PROVEN WAYS, HIS WEALTH OF EXPERIENCE, AND SHARES IT WITH US FOR FREE. DOESN'T 'SELL' HIS KNOWLEDGE. HE VERY WELL COULD BE GREEDY LIKE OTHERS, AND SELL HIS TECHNIQUES, BUT HE CHOOSES TO SHARE WITH THE BIRD WORLD. WHAT A GIVING MAN.

BOTH THESE MEMBERS DESERVE OUR RESPECT, KARMA, AND POSTS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO DO THAT. SO WHO EVER IS TAKING KARMA AWAY, SPEAK UP AND SHARE YOU REASONS, WE WILL LISTEN, DON'T HIDE BEHIND A THUMBS DOWN....

SINCERELY,

TALON/ADMIN

Thank you Talon :blush:, that was very kind of you to say! I've always kind of thought of our girls as long lost sisters, they're alike in so many ways :).

It would be kind of nice if there wasn't a thumbs down. Then you could give karma to people you think have said something really well, and just move on if you don't. I've seen new people's karma go down into the negatives if they say something unpopular, which probably doesn't encourage them to stick around and learn more about how to better care for their Grey.

Very well said Penny, I hate over the last week people have been using Karma as a punishment for things that they don't agree with or in some cases don't no the whole story about.

If you don't agree with a post speak up say you don't agree and write why you don't agree, at most of our ages now its called open communication. Talking it out in a healthy, respectful way helps all understand that there might just be another way of looking at things. If you feel you cant or dont want to do this PM the person and talk, but with this in mind the person you PM should have the respect to respond back to you.

There is just one more thing I would like to touch on and this is a personel note. I was asked to become a friend to a person here and I am always thrilled when I get a friendship request, then for no reason known to me they took it away I pm'ed that person, and they felt I guess that they didn't need to respond or explain why so they chose to just ignore my question of what I may have done to upset them.I found this hurtful.

We are family here, and nobody better then me understands that family do not have to get along nor agree with everything. But out of respect you have to understand for what ever reason they did what they did, they did it for a reason that was right for them at the time.

While we have many topics in this forum that appear to be toxic to others, they will come up time and time again. If you feel that strongly sit back, take a breath, then respond keeping in mind they had a reason for doing whatever it was and maybe for them at the time it was a right decision.

My thoughts only,

Carolyn & Mika;)

Great post Penny and I think it's something that should be brought back up. I agree with Spookyhurst and wish myself there wasn't a thumbs down or atleast have to put the reason behind it when you do use it. (I think that would be great) I wouldn't mind that at all. Some people don't care about their karmas but others do.

And Caroline I agree with you, too. I also had someone send me a friendship request and then a short time later the person pulled the friendship:( I also didn't know why and did pm the person because I was genuinely concerned but I got no response either. I would have atleast liked to know the reason why. I figured it was probably a misunderstanding that could have been worked but will never know because the person never gave me the courtesy to let me know the reason behind it. I found that hurtful too.

It was that same week that gradually started losing karmas. I counted that I lost 20 karmas in about 10 days time! I went back through all my threads to see if I had posted anything that would anger people but what I didn't see that I touched on anything that would be considered controversal. I mainly was welcoming people to the forum.

The negative karmas are hurtful but I can see why we should have them also but do think we should put the reason behind it because I think some people take karmas away just for spite. If we gave a reason then members would atleast know the reason behind it and perhaps be more sensitive to the subjects in the future.

We are all suppose to be a family here and do not have to always get along like Caroline said but we should be able to agree on disagreeing. Everyone does have their own opinions on topics and that should be respected. Just because someone has a different view doesn't mean they should be spiteful and take karmas away. I think if we hit the thumbs down we should have to give a reason why. It would take care a lot of the spiteful ones for no reasons.

Just my opinions:)

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/12/24 16:10<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/12/24 17:38

These were all great commentaries by all in support of Spookyhurst. Thanks to Penny, Carolyn and Baxter's Mom for posting these. :-)

Hopefully everyone here will here will think twice before subtracting Karma and state WHY they think a person deserves the loss just because one may disagree with a Post.

There of are course times, that deserve negative Karma. Like that seen in the case of the Troll "GMan", that was just obnoxious and doing it for the fun of irritating the hell out of everyone for the 1 or 2 hours he was here.

Penny - Please let me know who the culprit was and I'll take them to -1000. :evil:

No one messes with "Our" one and only SpookyHurst!!

I would check the records if I was you Penny.

I think its the only way to find out! I also had some taken the other week and I dont feel I have ever said anything to offend anyone I always try and offer support and help where I can. I have noticed a lot of Karma going missing on here recently, I hope this now comes to an end!