NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

food in water

jlandsiedel

My CAG is putting her food in her water bowl. Well what I think is going on is she is dipping her food in the water and then eating it. She accidentally drops some in the water and I have the change the water like 3 times a day because it changes colors and gets gross looking. She is putting in the food that looks like trix cereal. I'm not sure if she is doing this because she recently chipped off a part of her beak or if this is just a weird new quirk she has . . . does anyone else's bird do this?

Dorian's water gets totally disgusting looking on a regular basis because he loves to float walnut shell boats in it. I had his water dish and food dish on opposite sides of the cage for a while, and he'd dutifully carry his food from one side to the other to dunk it. So add changing his water dish multiple times a day to the list of things you do for your grey:laugh:

Our McKenzie does this too! She even dunks her pellets in there to soften them.

I gave her some spinach today and all she did was throw them in her water bowl, look at them for a few minutes, and then took them all out and threw them on the bottom of her cage! She must not like baby spinach leaves lol.

On her play top, she even dunks her her wooden chew toys to soften them I guess.

The funniest thing is when she throws a walnut into the water, and I telling her that it's not going to get any softer! Then the fishing it out part is also amusing.

My Grey did that and so did my parakeets, it's to soften their food or maybe just to make it taste a little morte interesting, kind of like adding a litle olive oil and to a bowl of sauceless pasta!

Anyway, as you say , the water soon got very grimy, which created bacteria for the birds and extra work for me. I found a good solution, I addded those drinking bottles that hamsters and rabbits use (different sizes according to the different birds) and let them have both the bottles AND the bowl for a few days...they quickly realized that the bottles were also a source of water, and a freh water too! So when I was sure they knew how the bottle worked, I took the bowls out and they've been on the bottle ever since. It's great! And the water is always clean.