NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is your bird left or right footed

shazgeoff

Mine are both lefties. If you are interested, do a Google search for Dr. Peter Snyder. He did one of the more recent and comprehensive studies on parrots footedness and speaking abilities. If I recall, the majority of them are lefties. I'd post a link, but I'm replying from my phone and it would be a major ordeal to do so. Maybe someone here would be so kind as to do so?

Misty generally holds food with his right foot but offers his left foot if he wants me to pick him up. When we have play fights he tries to grab my fingers with his left foot so he can bite them.:laugh:

when he learns to write i will report here which foot he holds his pen with. ;)

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/12/17 20:58

I have pictures of Ana Grey using her right foot and some with her using her left foot. When I have her step up she would use her left foot, however I am righthand so I tried with my left hand and she then uses her right foot. So she uses whatever foot is most convenient-- in other words, ambidextrous!!!

MSN-Emoticon-vote-208.gif<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/12/18 02:09

Mika is right footed for holding his food, but tends to step up using his left first. This is very interesting to here about all the different birds.

Would steping up be that we offer our right or left hand to them so they choose the foot that is closest to the hand offered - :blink: :S

Carolyn & Mika

Carolyn wrote:

Would steping up be that we offer our right or left hand to them so they choose the foot that is closest to the hand offered -

Misty has a definite preference for stepping up to my right hand and as I have said uses his left foot for this. This may be why he prefers my right hand.

I am left handed mostly but I don't know if this has any influence but we know that greys learn by following examples.

(that may be why Misty is so untidy:laugh: )

Steve n Misty

Since we were on the topic, I posted this as a question for Irine Pepperburg on the recent Parrot Talks teleconference. It turned out to be the first listener question they asked her. As Jan pointed out, Irine said that 90 percent were left footed. She also said that Alex was a lefty, Griffin is ambidextrous, and Arthur (Wart) was forced to use his good foot, since his other sustained an injury.