NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Favorite Cereal

Talon

Wondering what your birds favorite cereal is? Warm or cold.

Talon only seems to like the milk, which isn't good for her. An "expert" recommended using water instead, but Talon will only eat out of my bowl, and I don't like my cereal with water. Any other ideas?

Oh, and Talon likes cream of wheat.

Hey, this is a good idea for a thread.. Good job Talon.. OK, I'll play..

Ceaser loves Special K.. He also eats honey nut cheerios.. I'm gonna try the Cream Of Wheat.. I didn't think of that.. Also, next time I am at the supermarket I am gonna get those mini wheats. Might be a good treat.. Anyone try those? Caesar has a hand full of cereal every night. Believe it or not, I use water too. He seems to like it better.

Hey that reminds me.. You ever heard of putting cheerios on ice cream at night.. Someone close to me recommended it to me just tonight. It funny you should bring up cereals.. I think cheerios on ice cream might me something to try.. Don't you Talon?<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 04:42

Guest Monique

The only kind of cereal I feed my birds in their dish is oatmeal. They got some Weight Control Maple Brown Sugar Quaker Oatmeal yesterday :). They do get an occasional bite of someone else's cereal while they're eating and I know that Peanut Butter Captain Crunch is one they won't turn down! :)

Nikko starts off everyday with a spoonful of my mom's oatmeal. She puts soy milk and flax seed in it. Our vet said Nikko had some of the most beautiful feathers he has seen on a grey, and I think the flax seed might be to thank for that.

Nikko also likes Cheerios and Grapenuts, and as a treat, I'll let her have a piece or two of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch :whistle:.

• 6 months later...

I never gave any type of cereal to Izzie but I would like to intriduce it to her. Since I am not a big cereal eater, I have no idea which one to get. Plus, what should I keep an eye on, what ingridient? Are they all safe?<br><br>Post edited by: Lusya, at: 2007/11/30 03:44

It looks like cooked oatmeal seems to be the crowd favorite. Instead of milk, I think you can use Soy milk, Rice Milk, Almond Milk, or Oatmeal Milk. All of these are lactose-intolerant substitutions. I've never tried the Almond, Oatmeal, or Rice Milk. I do know that all soy milk Brands taste kinda different so you should try a couple different brands before giving up. Also check the other ingredients because some of these (Almond milk for example) add sweeteners which of course aren't healthy in large doses.

It's best of course not to feed processed foods (anything made of refined grains instead of whole grains) or sugars to our birds. Plain cooked oatmeal is fine, before you may add sweetening to yours. There are some natural type cold cereals out there. I tried adding them to my birds' dry mix, but they don't eat them. They do like oatmeal though, and I give it to them a couple of times a week with their sprouted grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit (regular breakfast).

Reta

Lusya, you're not silly. You don't need to prepare Honey Bunches of Oats. It's regular cold cereal. Klaus will eat whatever type of cereal I'm eating, which is mainly frosted shredded wheat. He eats the wheat part and drops the part with sugar. What a good boy, huh? Too bad mommy doesn't like it without the sugary part! I think cereals on the whole are great, just watch out for overly sweetened ones or anything with chocolate. As far as milk, Klaus eats right out of my bowl (lucky me, to think there was a time he was too shy to do that!). So he does get a teeny bit of milk, but if I try to give him his own piece of dry cereal on the side, he doesn't want it. He wants what's in my bowl. Hopefully that isn't too awful. I haven't noticed him having any potty problems so I'm figuring the little drops he gets aren't hurting him...

I think Cheerios are another good choice because of their size & shape and they are pretty nutritious. I offered Klaus Cream of Wheat before, and he didn't want it...I'll have to try it again.

here is my oatmeal secret:

toast the dry oats in a cast iron pan before preparing.

you can then put them in a slow-cooker on low and they will be ready in the AM and your home will have the most lovely toasty aroma.

the pre-toasting adds a wonderful nutty flavor.

-s

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, oatmeal is definitely good. I had some this morning and Klaus tried a few bites, too. I think it reminded him of his "childhood" when he was being hand-fed as a chick. He tried to eat out of my mouth a little, too. Tried to. Not going there! :lol:

Hi there Talon!

Since I'm lactose intolerant, I use Lactose free milk, and that seems to sit well with Bella. I also use soy ice cream, and many other soy, rice or lactose free products. Lactose free milk doesn't really taste that much different then regular milk.

Would baby oatmeal cereal (in the box, mixed with water) work?

Check the baby oatmeal to make sure it's not fortified with iron and vitamins. Human babies have a higher iron requirement than parrots, and best not to feed fortified foods, unless they're designed for parrots.

Reta