NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How much does your grey weigh?

Talon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, that is the Bikini Test.

(Of course, 6 pak abs are always desirable but those feathers might just obscure a really buff physique.)

Just kidding. But a vet did tell me if you can't see the breastbone at all, or even feel it then maybe your little porkie ate too many franks and beans. (or millet or sunflower seeds)

You don't want that bone to be sticking out, either so you gotta figure out waht the happy medium is for your bird, weigh it, and watch for any fluctuations. Keep track monthly or something. Whatever works for you.

He's still young and has more eating and growing to do. As others have stated, the main thing is his weight should stay fairly constant.

They go through weight fluctuations when they are young and fledging. Dayo weighed 527gm when I first brought him home and slowly went down to and stabilized at 426 for around 2 Months. Then he started gaining weight again and weighed 445gm after his morning bomb today.

As your Grey starts trying to fly more and you work with him at flapping those wings by holding his Talons with your thumb and gently moving him up and down to induce the natural flapping action. He will gain strength and over time probably some weight too.

Again, the most important item with the weight is that it remains fairly constant. :-)

Lusya,

Others have provided additional valuable information here. While it is hard to know exactly what you are dealing with just from your posts, the impression I get is you may be worrying over nothing. Stop worrying! ;) From what you have indicated so far everything sounds perfectly normal with your little one. It is absolutely expected that you should be able to feel their keel bone. In fact if you cannot feel it that is a problem (they are fat!). Stop worrying for now, it does no good. Get more weight data. As we have indicated, the key is to watch for drastic weight changes in short time. Your bird weight will change over time and as Dan indicated may go up and down as they get older, put on muscle, exercise etc. The key is to watch for more than 10% changes in a very short time. B)

Try not to worry, you will only make your bird nervous as they key off your energy. Chances are all is well... :)

Mini Me now weighs 418 grams. When weaning, she went down to 349 grams and had me worried sick. She eventually stabilized at 378 grams for the longest time. Her body frame has always been petite, but she eats WELL and is very active...so I don't worry about it anymore.

• 1 month later...

I know these posts are from quite awhile back but I was reading through them and thought I'd reply anyway. By the way CeasarsDad I love your picture of Ceasar- what a beautiful grey!

My Timneh is 15 months old and he averages around 300 grams, but I weigh him first thing in the morning before the morning bomb- so I guess he weighs a little less than that. It fluctuates slightly from day to day.

• 2 months later...
Guest Skuffy

Same just reading though the post Heres Max weight today

hes 470g flash 472g..hes a big boy{Nature-00020095}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just weighing mine and he is just 325 grams and a little more than one years old. It was obvious in the pet shop that he is a small bird, there was another one there the same age and he was much bigger. You think this is something to worry about?

I will be taking him to the vet...

From the info here it seems he is a girl, still he has a boys name, funny...

• 1 month later...

Kiko is six and one half months old today. I bought a scale that I keep next to his cage and weigh him in the early evening, and often a couple more times after that. His max was 504 grams (a few months ago before he was weaned and after a syringe feeding) and these days he is averaging 460 to 475 grams. Kiko has enormous feet and I get the impression that he is getting a bit bigger and putting on weight gradually.

Well with this and the post I have up it looks like BoBo (CAG) being only 4 months old and weighing 455 Grams might turn out to be a chubby bird of just big boned. I will really keep an eye on his diet. His portions are measured with the exception of the fruit and veggies which are still small in size. Might have to get him a birdy tredmill. Well at least I know he and I will have something else in common lol.

JC

Well i was worried once about Zuri's weight too i could never find a real avg weight on the internet the vet said he was ok so I just went with that. Zuri weighs between 308 and 312g depending on what time of the day.

Wow CAG's are heavy boys and girls!

Guest Skuffy

My Max is 470gr to 480g..Hes 9yrs..I weigh him after his First Big Blow out in a Morning B4 i feed him,,,then after..{Nature-00020095}

Guest Skuffy

OBESITY IN AFRICAN GREYS,,,B)

There have been several requests to discuss avian nutrition. Proper nutrition is of utmost importance for both man and animal, however there is a special significance for pet birds due to their rapid metabolic rate. Because of their increased nutritional needs, pet birds manifest signs of malnutrition quickly and many times with devestating results. Over the next several columns we will discuss some common avian nutritional disease conditions and their correction.

Malnutrition is the most frequently diagnosed disease condition in pet birds and many of the other diseases that are diagnosed actually may have developed due to a poor level of nutrition, providing lowered resistance to disease causing organisms. It is not that bird owners knowingly undernourish their pets, rather they are unfamiliar with the means of providing a balanced diet. Quite often we see birds that are 'seed junkies' eating only one particular type of seed to the exclusion of all else. This leads to the development of medical problems and potentially premature death. The only way to insure a good long life for your pet bird is to provide a balanced diet , such as a pelleted food, and if a seed eater, proper supplementation.

Obesity with resultant fatty liver disease is one of the most common nutritional diseases that we see in pet birds, particularly in budgerigars (parakeets). This is due to the high fat seed diet that they normally consume. Traditionally, birds have been provided with seeds and water as their main diet. This is woefully inadequate. Perhaps it was convenient to feed dried seed, but in the wild birds eat a more varied diet, eating dried seeds only in a time of hardship. Seed is high in fat (leading to obesity and binding to calcium leading to lowered blood calcium) and low in vitamin A (which helps to provide resistance to disease).

If the fat content of the diet is too high the fat accumulates in the bloodstream and is deposited throughout the body, especially in the liver, as well as the causing development of fat deposits/obesity. The fat slowly infiltrates into the liver over time so that there is less and less functional liver tissue left until normal body metabolism is disrupted and the bird is subject to secondary disease. The bird may even be unable to withstand simple stress and sudden death can occur. As this fat accumulates , it forms fat deposits on the chest and abdomen so that the bird has a buxomy chest or belly. Due to the excessive weight the bird may be unable to fly or tires easily. Fat accumulation may also occur around the heart, interfering with normal function.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF FATTY LIVER DISEASE IN A BIRD??

1) OBESITY - Overweight birds have fat deposits on their chest and abdomen.

2) OVERGROWN BEAK - -The beak grows rapidly and abnormally. This is indeed a danger sign. Many bird owners bring these birds in for a routine beak trim not knowing that the bird could easily stress or even die during a routine procedure due to the abnormal liver condition. If you are uncertain that the overgrown beak of your pet is due to fatty liver (especially parakeets and cockatiels) have it checked by your avian veterinarian.

3) BLACK SPOTS (HEMORRHAGE) ON THE BEAK AND TOENAILS - The black spots are areas of hemorrhage, like bruising. Due to the compromised liver function, the bird's blood does not clot properly.

4) ENLARGED FATTY LIVER - Unable to be detected with the naked eye, must be manually examined, usually during the physical examination.

Most birds with this condition show all or most of the above clinical signs. Regular physical examinations with blood testing are very important to detect this disease before it gets to a crisis state. Many times blood tests will show excessive fat in the blood (lipemia), low red blood cell count (anemia) and yellow colored plasma (jaundice) indicating liver disease. Identified early this disease can be treated. Ideally through proper nutrition, it should be prevented. The best means of preventing fatty liver disease in pet birds is to provide your birds with a nutritionally complete and balanced, either home-made or commercial (such as pelleted bird food). Unfortunately a bird is reluctant to change from familiar foods, especially if it appears different such as pellets. In a future column we will discuss balanced diets and the means to convert seed eaters to them.{Feel-good-000200BB}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...