NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP me buy a camera

cflanny

I get a new camera for X-Mas I am looking for a digital SLR ( I think they are called that ) I am a newbie but want to learn about taking great photos. I am in the market for something under $1000. I ma reaserching but completely lost.

I want to take pics of nature birds and animals and bugs!! Nikon D80 good for this?? any other suggestion or tips for a good camera , sizes and what not pls help me:) ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED Thank you thank you Cindy

There are a lot of really good entry level Digital SLRs available now. Canon and Nikon arguably make the best units, though Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Pentax and others are really quite good now. However, if you truly are looking at this as an investment, its pretty fair to say stiking with Canon or Nikon is the best choice due to the lens selections available. The more you get into photography the more you realize that having different lenses for different photographic opportunities really adds to the flexibility and fun. In fact, if you are not interested in making use of this option (and lenses are expensive) then I would say dont get an SLR...there are many really good options other than SLR if that is the route to go. I recommend doing lots of homework and this is a fabulous site for researching: www.dpreview.com

I have the Canon 12 MP Digital Rebel Xsi and love it. Also have a couple of different zoom and macro lenses. Like I said, there are lots of good options! You should physically inspect the units, hold them in your hands, look through the viewfinder etc. They are all shaped differently, different weight and other ergonomics that can make a big difference from user to user. Do your homework and have fun! ;)

I have the Nikon D40X. I like it very much!

There are many options. It depends how much into photography you are. Are you a point and shoot kind of person? Are you interested in easy to use options? Or are you more interested in the quality, lighting, manual adjustments, etc.?

Thanks Guys

I do want to learn photography and do want to look at this as a investment. Yes I am interested in quality, lighting and want manual adjustments, all the good stuff thats gonna make it fun :) This is somthing I have wanted for so long but it was very expensive so I have waited. ZZero inspires me and time has come and hubby said yes:)

I am gonna go to the store and start playing then do some more research all tips welcome!

Cindy

I love photography and have been doing it for a few years now. I have the Canon 30D with a variety of lenses. SLR stands for Single-Lens Reflex, and DSLR means Digital Single-Lens Reflex. All this means is that there is a movable lens with in the lens that magnifies or de-magnifies(I hope that is a word) what ever you are looking at through the view finder. Since you said that you want to take pictures of animals and bugs and such I am going to recommend a Canon. The research I have done has led me to believe that Canon is better in the field than Nikon will ever be. The 30D is nice but a bit expensive. You would get similar results with the Rebel XTi, and the XSi.

The nice part about the Canon 30D is there are different modes of shooting. While I was starting out I left it in auto and payed attention to the settings inside the viewfinder and then went on to the semi-manual modes (ex. Tv,Av,M) Just so you know the M means FULL manual. You have to set the ISO, exposure time, aperture, flash and all that. If you are going to be taking pictures out side please please please pick up an external flash! The external flash plays a few key roles.

1. It elevates the flash so you get a more even coverage of light

2. Eliminates silhouettes when shooting into the sun

3. there are more but you'll get the picture;-)

Also it sounds kinda bad, but pick out the biggest flash you can afford. You will NOT regret it. I have the Canon Speed light 580 EX2. Excellent Flash!!!

As far as lenses go if you are shooting out side at birds, deer, "animals" I would suggest a lens in the range of 17mm- 85mm, this gives you the ability to be semi macro (Shooting bugs) to semi telephoto (something across the field), this lens usually comes with the camera if you buy a kit(Just so you know, when you look at lens's "IS" means Image Stabilized). As time goes on and you find what you like to shoot, that will determine the next lens's you buy. If you like to shoot macro (Really small things) I would suggest the 100mm fixed lens. The auto focus is really fast for those little critters that won't stop moving with amazing clarity. If you like the longer range shots then the 75mm to 300mm is a pretty standard lens, how ever to get that one in IS is VERY expensive!! So, I use a standard (Not IS) 75 to 300 with a tripod.

If and or when you get a tripod make sure you get one big enough for you camera and lens. This means future lens's as well. A lot of super-telephoto lens's weigh more than the camera and if not mounted on a pod that can even out the weight all that money tips over.

Any way I am sure you are getting tired of reading so I am going to stop typing. If you would like more info or tips please don't hesitate to message me. I am ALWAYS more than happy to help any one with photography stuff. I am by no means an expert but I do know how to have a lot of fun!!! :-)

Thank you everyone I got some ideas now and I am so appreciative. I will definatly have more questions after I go play. I ordered a beginners guide to photography and my son wants to learn along side me so should be alot of fun!! Thank you Thank you

Hi! I have a Canon XTi and I LOVE it. You will love how fast the start up time and how quickly the DSLRs take photos.

Both Canon and Nikon are the most popular for DSLRs, but I will give a tip that the accessories and extra lenses for Canons are more widely available and WAY LESS expensive than Nikon lenses.

You may initially think that you only need one lens, but as you see how awesome your nature & miscellaneous pictures turn it...you may want to play with more lenses! Plus, the stock lenses that come with the DSLRs aren't all that great and tend to not come with image stabilizers, etc.

When we, hopefully, get our grey at the beginning of December I will take pics and you will see a huge difference between regular cameras and the SLRs. Plus it takes great action shots and you don't have to worry about your grey moving fast and ruining the picture because it can definitely keep up!