NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what are the pine nuts or red palm oil for?

btdaycare

I would stay away from the instant oatmeal, most of it has added sugar in it, I just use regular oatmeal and just cook a small bit in the microwave. The baby food I use is carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash but you can also use peas, green beans, applesauce and other similar ones.

The swansons link suzzique provided is a great place to buy the Red Palm oil. I purchase it there also. You can heat a little in the microwave for just 10 seconds and drip it on to their pellets, scrambled eggs, oatmeal etc. This will ensure they get a small amount each day. It should only be a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon and mix it in good.

The pinenuts you can purchase raw and shelled at your local grocery store or you can purchase the roasted in the shell at a good petstore on online. They get a little work out cracking open the shell to get that nut inside. :-)

Small like them raw, some roasted in the shell.

yep I have a daycare........... so far so good, only two kids ages 3 and 4 right now and they love the new bird. I already let a daycare parent hold my new bird and she just can't believe how nice he is. She has never held birds till she came to my house. She always goes back to her work and tells what she held today,she said she feels like she is in preschool/daycare learning new things everytime she comes here! rofl

ok going to check out if my pet store has any of the red palm oil this morning. If not I will order it online. for breakfast I gave him apples, oranges, watermelon and he ate for awhile and then threw the rest on the floor. Whew, thankfully the former owner warned my son to put something under the cage door so my old blanket caught it all.

Thanks for the info everyone!

If I remember right it is also very good for thier feathers. I know flax seed is also good for them. Same thing just a pinch sprinkled on top every morning. That one I don't remember what it's good for I will have to go back to my book and see. But a friend on another forum who is a behaverist also recimends both every morning. Just don't do more than the pinch of the flax seed because it can elevate hormones.

Alex and Martini both like all of it! :) Alex's feathers are as soft as a too's. Martini has always been soft but it seems that his feathers are also softer than when we first brought him home.

As a treat I will also sprinkle shreaded coconut or crushed red pepper on top. They both really like that as well. :woohoo:

Suzzique gave the best place to buy palm oil. I've been doing business with them for approx 6 yrs. The price of the oil is about $6 for a 16 oz jar. If you have only 1 grey, that jar should last you about 1 year. I also buy various generic vitamins for myself because of their great price.

This is one way to use it. The palm oil will be thick and somewhat gooey. It will also be orange colored.

Get an small empty seasoning bottle that's been thoroughly cleaned. Fill it with the oil. When the time comes to use it, put the bottle in a microwave for 25 to 30 secs. Let bottle cool to room to slightly warm temperature. The color of the oil will be a dark cherry red color. Most importantly, it will be an extremely thin consistancy. It's now ready to easily use on whatever you decide. People use it on and in dfferent ways. put bottle away until next use. Store original jar away until it's time to fill little bottle.

PS--I buy about 5 to 6 jars at a time

New jar of their oil

Palmoilcontainer.jpg

Color of oil before microwave

Palmoilbeforemicro.jpg

Color of oil after microwave

PalmOilaftermicro.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/09 18:53

• 1 month later...

Many of us here dont feed nuts in the shell,human quality nuts are best,almonds,pine nuts etc,you can crack a walnut in half for your grey, the majority of greys love them.The bigger birds such as macaws crack nuts far more easily than our greys ;)

Peanut shells and peanuts can carry concentrations of spores from the aspergillus mold.LIke many things. there is always a risk.I personally feed nuts as i have said before, always out of the shell & human grade quality.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/10/14 22:12

my grey cracks almond shells and loves to play with them but with all other nuts I buy the precracked ones. The almond ones comes in a parrot treat pack.

I just fed my grey oatmeal and added pecan chips and wow did he go to town as did my amazon! Great to find a hit since recently my experimentation with different veggies is a flop. They do like any veggies cooked with cornmeal muffins though so at least I know they are getting some when I cook those!