NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

FIND YOUR LOCAL AVIAN VET

Kaedyn

Remember that no member of this board can substitute for a visit to your avian vet. If you are experiencing an emergency or suspect your bird is having health issues, please do not lose critical time waiting on a reply to your emergency post. Find your local avian vet using the Association of Avian Veterinarians search page at: http://www.aav.org/search/

If your bird is currently perfectly healthy, be thankful and take this time to find your local avian vet and store their information in your cell phone, on your refrigerator door, and in your avian first-aid kit.

Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2008/09/01 18:23

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/29 22:17<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2009/09/08 15:40

• Like 1

A great link Kaedyn! It inspired me to look for a similar resource for my area.

Grey owners in Singapore:

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/clinic.php

Lists members of the local veterinary association but not their specialties. I haven't brought Nicky to a vet yet but when I do (as soon as he agrees to get in the carrier!) I will be using this list!

Grey owners in Malaysia:

http://www.msava.org/vets.php

Members of the Malaysia Small Animal Veterinary Association. Like the Singapore site, doesn't state their specialties however most of them have contacts included.

Also see the Malaysia Veterinary Forum at http://vet.com.my/viewtopic.php?t=76

Edit: Practically none of the Singapore vets ever seem to answer their email. Calling them or dropping by their office in person should work better!<br><br>Post edited by: darth_mint, at: 2008/09/01 08:32

Thanks Jim for that link and the good advice. I already have an avian vet that I use for regular checkups and for an emergency if I need it but others may not have thought ahead. If something unforseen happens and you need one, then is not the time to be looking for one, find one now and be ready. Karma coming your way.:)

• 1 year later...

as1720: They changed the link on their website. I've updated my original post to reflect the new address. In any case, here is information for an avian vet in Tacoma.

Deanna Shafar, DVM

Clinic Name: All Bird Clinic LLC

Address: 2505 South 80th Street

City/State: Tacoma, WA 98409

P: 253-475-2611

F: 253-983-0000

• 1 month later...

If you live in Nashville, TN or surrounding areas, Volunteer Vet does a great job with birds. Dr Heather Robertson is a bird person and she specializes in them. She diagnosed and treated my cockatiel the other day when he almost died.

She is also one of the vets for the Nashville Zoo and takes care of the Lorikeets.

• 3 months later...

i have done plenty of research on the web, and spoke with many people on a good vet here in Colorado Springs. i have found one that is supposedley the best in the state of CO. but her number is not on the link you posted. i thought this would be a good place to post it since i noticed that there are a few board members that live here in the Springs.

Rollercoaster Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Marty Kuhn

719-488-3018. just thought i would share.

btw, this is a really great thread.... you got good karma lol.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a really good vet in the Phoenix area (Arizona, USA). Any suggestions? Visited one already and can't say I was super impressed :-( I see one on the link given below, but I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?<br><br>Post edited by: celticdance, at: 2010/03/29 06:17

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So I have been reading this website for while now and trying to mentally and physically prepare of my FID in April. Tho it seems like there is plenty of time to make changes and fix things, I just know its going to fly by quickly.

After reading this thread, I called my local "vet" because I knew I had seen some sorta large bird out in the waiting area. Sure enough the lady that answered told me they definately would see birds. IF they felt that it was something that needed something more specialized they would send me to a much larger clinic in a different city (only down fall of living in the country) but ............... she did say ... "Kudos to you for doing your research before bringing home your parrot" which ofcourse really made me feel good :D

But, I have to give the credit to you all for having suggested it first so :) Thanks!

• 2 years later...
i have done plenty of research on the web, and spoke with many people on a good vet here in Colorado Springs. i have found one that is supposedley the best in the state of CO. but her number is not on the link you posted. i thought this would be a good place to post it since i noticed that there are a few board members that live here in the Springs.

Rollercoaster Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Marty Kuhn

719-488-3018. just thought i would share.

btw, this is a really great thread.... you got good karma lol.

LOVE Dr. Marty! She is HRH Inara's avian vet and is outstanding. She is calm, kind, patient, has several birds of her own, and her fees are incredibly reasonable. She is a certified avian Vet and is listed at AAV.org. She hosts a full lab at her clinic so all bloodwork, microbe, etc. diagnoses can be done in house by her personally. Can't recommend her highly enough. For northern CO Springs area, she's north on Rollercoaster, well worth the drive from any part of El Paso County.

Edited by Inara

• 4 years later...

I live in Thailand and here most vets only handle Dogs and Cats and have no or very little knowledge of birds.  The nearest Avian vets. is around 60 miles from my home.  It is located at a University Animal Hospital.  Of course, I would take our birds there when required but we do want to make sure we have a good reason for doing it.   My daughter is a Vet in America but doesn't really works with birds but she has some knowledge and it helps.  Just need to keep them healthy so they don't have to go often.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

(sorry for thread necrotizing and older thread -- but wanted to add content)

For a seriously ill bird, I would have to travel 70+ miles for specialized parrot care.  (Yeah, I live in a rural area)

I took my macaw to a local vet a few years back (broken blood feather) and needed a helpful extra set of hands to pull the blood feather and keep my macaw from bleeding out.

1) they did not know to pull out bleeding feather in direction it was growing (just what I needed, a pulled feather re-broken beneath the skin)

2) they didn't know you have to SUPPORT the wing or pulling feather may rip wing out of socket

3) Has any vet ever heard of adding some pressure or using some styptic powder?!?

The vet told me they had 1 DAY in college to study "exotic" pets.  Exotic included parrots, snakes, lizards, tarantulas....  so sad.  They accepted my assistance gladly and sadly told me how little is taught at veterinary school.  I cannot believe with parrots now reaching 3rd most popular pet that so little is taught in veterinary school.  Surely exotic pets (or parrots) deserve a couple weeks of study!!!!   These were 2008-ish grads.   :(

Anyway, for a truly ill bird, I would have to travel.  Hope it would be something chronic and not acute.  :(

• Like 1