NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why Noah sleeps on his bowl?

SarahDavid

He could sleep on his bowl for a number of reasons. Parrots normally want to sleep at the highest point in the cage and is the bowl is higher than the perch that would be one. I'm not sure if the perch is the right size for your grey because greys can very a lot in size. I have seen greys up to 600g and as small as mine is at 385g. What you really want in your greys cage is a number of differnt sized perches so his feet are not always in the same position. I have a wide perch that goes all the way across, a cement perch at one side at the top and two thinner branches on the other side. I'll take a picture so you can see my setup. I would be sure to put in higher perches in your cage and I bet he will happily sleep on one of those.

PS - I never recommend the dowel perches that come in most cages. They are the same size and diameter all the way across. I like the natural branches and only use them in all of my cages with the exception of my hospital cage for the finches, which I use plastic perches that are faster to clean and disinfect.

Here are a few pics of the perches in my cage.

Excuse the mess...tomorrow is cage cleaning day.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Here is a shot of the cement perch and how it should fit the feet...Elmo is modeling it for everyone.

020.jpg

Elmo has had enough...he's sayin' "That enough...get outta here photog!"

022.jpg

023.jpg

I gonna get some of those twisty perches and see if my birds like them. I use natural breanches and cement ones also but I like that twisty one it looks like it would be great for my Conures as well as the bigger bird my Conures are both missing toes so those perches might just be the best thing for them

Some birds are just wierd too. There are a few birds that customers own that do sleep near the bottom of their cages. It's not a sign of illness if it's the norm for your bird, and if sleeping on the bowl was uncomfortable then the bird wouldn't do it.