NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oggie talks

dsgnz

Many may have seen my posts about my bird Oggie and my worries that he would never talk. At a year and a half he showed no signs of even trying to talk. He would copy any whistle he heard but no voice like sounds. I surfed many sites with all of them saying that Greys are not likely to talk if they haven't by a year or a year and a half on the outside. I had resigned myself that Oggie would not be a talker.

At two years old he started to make noices that sounded like voices and it actually scared me as I thought someone was in the house. Oggie is now slightly over two and as I type this he is saying hello repeatedly and very clearly. So far this is his only word but it is a fine start and I could not be happier.

That's so cool about Oggie. I hope he talks your ear off now - lol - my Obi is very quiet. Every now and then I'll hear something that sounds like step up and a minor shrill whistle, so I'm hoping that he'll start talking soon. Have a great day! ;)

Hey Dsgnz- I'm so excited for you! My TAG at 20 months old doesn't talk either. I love him anyway but you have given me hope that maybe someday he will learn to say something! I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully your Oggie will learn even more.

How lovely this day is for you Dsgnz. Time is sometimes unfair, where the movement seems so fast, and other times it moves rather slowly. The time you waited seemed long, but as of today, time can move to new horizons for the future.

Time is runing out for USA people today. The tax man is waiting for your papers. 8hrs and 40 left.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:<br><br>Post edited by: Johnny, at: 2008/04/15 21:22

Well I guess you can't believe everything you read, Oggie can talk and it just took him awhile to do so, but now the words and phrases will pour out of him, congrats on him talking after all, just when you thought he never would, bam, he surprises you with hello.:P

Time is running out if you haven't filed yet, but I have so no worries here.B)

i have heard that some are late bloomers, greys are very smart birds and sometimes most of them wont talk with you in the room, some do it when no one is around,mine is 4months old and is trying to say things and also i was told that between 8-9 months they start talking and some even say between a year to two years,it just all depends on the bird itself.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on Oggie. It has been a few months since Oggie said his first word and now he is one of the best talkers I have seen. It usually takes about 2 -3 days for him to pick something up and work it out until it sounds just right. He now has hundreds of words and phrases that he says daily. Usually first thing in the morning and at dusk is when he talks the most but also whenever he is bored.

My favorite is that when trying to teach him Hello I would say "say hello" so now he says "say hello" to which I respond by saying "hello" and then he says "good boy". He also sings "bad bird, bad bird, whatcha gonna do?" and "bird, bird, bird, - bird is the word". He says "I'm hungry" when I feed him and calls our dog ziggy by saying "come here Ziggy" and clicking. He says "I'm a pirate", "whatcha doin?", "I'm a bird brain", "Its okay", "Hello baby" Big Bopper style, and so many other things. Sometimes he will hear something on TV and say it in the next couple of days.

So for those of you with late talkers there is hope.

Thanks for the update! You are right it does give the rest of us some hope!:woohoo: Alex is now saying Hello crystal clear but only as part of his "song". He loves to sing and has incorperated Hello into it. He wont say it any other time. But there is still hope that one day he will!

When I got my Grey she was 4 1/2 years old she could do quite a few sound effects that she heard outside the window. she was basicly kept in a backroom with a heavy blanket over her. she could only say a couple of things. Now she's absolutly amazing she can actually have a conversation with me. Ive had her for a year and she just like a little spounge soaking everything in. I'm so proud of her. I glad Your Grey has learned to talk I love it when they talk its so great to be able to comunicate with your bird. They can learn to tell you what their needs and wants are.

When I got my Grey she was 4 1/2 years old she could do quite a few sound effects that she heard outside the window. she was basicly kept in a backroom with a heavy blanket over her. she could only say a couple of things. Now she's absolutly amazing she can actually have a conversation with me. Ive had her for a year and she just like a little spounge soaking everything in. I'm so proud of her. I glad Your Grey has learned to talk I love it when they talk its so great to be able to comunicate with your bird. They can learn to tell you what their needs and wants are.

One thing ive learned in life is exactly what judygram said dont believe everything you read. Take it in context and use it but parrots are so individual and the people who sometimes write are going by the numbers and thats ok. Ive always read that greys hate baths and they are loud and hated petting, i almost didnt adopt one because of it but took the chance and my grey is o/3 on all of those things so im so glad you finally got to hear his first words it must have been exciting