NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey's Breast bone?

Louisejane

This might sound really silly but I wondered whether or not a birds breastbone sticks out much?

Eddie let me stroke his belly last night which he doesn't normally tolerate. When I stroked near the bottom of his belly it felt quite pronounced and bony! Is this normal or something I should get checked out? I have never been able to stroke his tummy before so I'm not sure what should and shouldn't be there!:unsure:

Being able to feel the breast bone is okay... however feeling the sides of the breastbone means your bird is underweight. Usually youll feel the breastbone running downwards and feel some meat on the sides. If your bird was severely under weight... youd feel the breat bone dipping in on both sides. The best way to keep check on your birds weight and health is to get a digital scale that measures in grams. The average weight of a grey is anywhere from 300 to 500 grams.

Thanks, I think I described this a bit wrong. Its not actually along his breastbone, more at the bottom of his breastbone. Kind of between the bottom of his breatbone and his bottom! :S Not sure if this is where the breastbone ends or not, just took be unawares!