NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this a molt or should I be worried?

Louisejane

I was just wondering how often greys molt and how I would know when they are molting?

Eddie is around the age of 4 now. The last few days I have notice quite a few feathers at the bottom of his cage each time I change the paper. Most of them are red tail feathers and mostly small fluffy ones but there have been two large (I think primary) feathers I have found too. He doesn't look any worse for it but I wondered if this could be a molt or maybe a problem starting to happen?

I haven't noticed any plucking although he does clean himself alot, but no more than usual. Any idea's?

Thanks!:)

You would certainly see an increase in he loss of the little white downy feathers.Tail feathers certainly drop out during the molt,they normally start with the down feathers comimg out, followed by the smaller head feathers and nape feathers. The the wing and tail feathers are usually last.New pins will start to form which you will be able to see,They push the old feathers out.sounds very much as if he is molting.

If you type molt/molting in the search box at the top of the page you will be able to read over previous threads.

It does sound like a molt and from reading the increase in posts regarding this, plus my Grey Dayo starting to Molt around 3 weeks ago, seems it's that time for many of them. As LMG described, I had downy feathers everywhere each time I dumped the Tray and now it is progressing to larger head, neck and shoulder feathers.

I can also feel many prickly tiny new feathers coming that he loves scratched. :-)

One thing I ALWAYS forget to do, is to mist the tray BEFORE I slide it out and start heading to the door with it....Feathers flying everywhere and Kim YELLING ...YOU FORGOT TO MIST IT.... AGAIN..... YOU VACUUM UP THE MESS!!!! UGH:pinch: No respect ;-)

So mist before you pull the tray, it helps tons in keeping the feathers from flying everywhere. :-)