NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Has anybody made a play tree/gym for your Grey?

Raposa

I am looking for ideas for a play area, preferably relatively easy to make, using tree branches or natural woods as much as possible. Has anybody made one? Would you mind posting pictures and ideas?

I have almost NINE WEEKS to wait for my baby to be ready to come home and am busily finding ideas for making her life more fun when she gets here!

Thanks so much

I am about to!:silly: I am going to do a wooden base, square with wheels with a PCV center poll and from there I am going to adapt various natural and rope perches to fit into the PVC pipe. The center poll will be detachable for easy storage out of the way. I wish I had the room in my apartment for it to just stay out, but...what is a girl to do.

well I've been "feeding" our CAG's cedar perches to chew, which they love. couldn't find it either way on that website posted above which I did find pretty thorough. I also wrap their perches with Jute (Macrame') which they attempt to tear up. Otherwise... it's alot of non-winning lottery tickets.....:pinch:

• 2 weeks later...

i made a tree stand/play area out of PVC pipe 3/4 and 1/2 inch with T joints and end caps. it turned out pretty good actually. my only complaint is that its a bit wobbly BUT that doesnt seem to bother our birds. my guess is that it mimics a swaying tree branch. the base is I shaped with the 3/4 pipe as the main shaft. i used braided dog rope chew toys from odd lots to connect all the perches for climbing.

if i had it to all over again i would buy 6 inch pvc and 1/2 inch. i would drill 1/2 inch holes in the 6" for the 1/2" and tap them in.for the base i have no idea what to use.

I've been in touch with a guy who sells decorative woods of various kinds, and he has some untreated grapewood trees that he says would work for what I have in mind. He had a pair of Moluccan Cockatoos (until they were stolen about 10 years ago) so he does understand that they need to be untreated and disinfected and bird safe. So we'll see what he has, and I'll go from there!

You folks are terrific, thanks for all your great ideas!

MommaFawkes wrote:

Try filling the pipe on the bottom with sand! Thats what ours has and its not wobbly at all.

thats a great idea but its not the stand itself thats wobbly, its the main shaft towards the top. best thing i can think of is a piece of steel rebar or something.

I think I'm the lucky one...I didn't know you could love a bird as much as I do this one, mess and all. I'm trying to make her as happy as she has made me.

Judy, the wood is different size dowels and plywood. We sanded everything really good and made sure Bond couldn't get any glue. We put down vinyl tiles down for easy cleanup. It is on wheels so it is easy to move outside to clean off with the hose and let the sun dry it really good. The bad thing is Bond really doesn't like it much so it's not getting much use these days...

• 2 months later...