NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Frozen Waffle Recall

Talon

Feeling sad & concerned. I have 2 greys & an amazon; I give them toasted frozen waffles cut into bit size pieces for breakfast along with some toast every morning in their cages before I go to work. I just saw the waffle recall for frozen waffles including the brand I use. It can take up to 70 days before you see symptoms, I am worried... I hope they don't have any issues from this, but I won't know for over 3 months...this definitely worries me. I buy them when they go on sale & stock up, it is a daily staple for them...:/

• Sad 2

Yes, I have already done that. Part of my job at work is being Certified Food Safety, so I get all the latest recalls from the FDA as soon as they come out. I did check the Lot codes & Many boxes I have in my freezer are on the recall list.  My parrots were not happy to not have waffles today. I may have to try the Eggo's, they are made from a different company and not part of the recall. although they don't prefer those for some reason...

• Like 2

Thanks for not scolding me as so many FB groups did about feeding them waffles. They DO get a veggie mix & healthy food every day. This is just a breakfast treat with the other foods I mentioned. Getting so beat up elsewhere I appreciate not getting beat up here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking does kill listeria, also they were not all listeria positive, it was just a chance..so I am feeling better today that they should be ok. It's listeria mono that is the problem, not listeria species as much

• Like 1

Hoping your parrots are just fine. 

An aside, I heard a new mother's tip years ago about giving a piece of frozen waffle to infants who are teething -- apparently it's coldness is soothing to chew/gnaw on.   I mean, those are NOT cooked first.  

And wow, what a LONG list of recalls.  Yeeesh.  Hope all are safe.