NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot enrichment. So, any chance this is going to work?

We've been thinking of how we could take Corey outside with us for a walk.  We decided that we could modify a baby stroller for Corey [which we purchased at a thrift store]  and place a net enclosure around the area where Corey would be sitting so she couldn't just fly away if something spooked her.   We are now in the process of getting her used to sitting in the stroller.  Next we will try to get her use to being in the stroller when we move it around the house. 

Side note:  There is no chance that a parrot leash would ever work with Corey and we could simply keep her on our hand or shoulder.  Thanks for any ideas. 

CoreyInStroller.jpg

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea and I have seen a few people do this. Some modify it and attach a dog crate onto the frame. Others do what you have suggested have have a mesh screen over the top.

I have a couple of options for Alfie when I take him out. I have a small metal cage for him when I take him in the car- e.g to take him to the vets. I use that if we're going to be out for a long time, as it has food and water dishes he can't remove. I often take him with me when I visit my parents, as he absolutely adores my mum and it means he's not left alone. I also have a little camping trolly/cart that the cage fits in, so if I'm taking him somewhere where we'll be moving around (e.g a couple of parrots shows I've visited in the last couple of years) then I can pull the cage around in that.

If I'm just taking him out for a walk then I have a backpack carrier for him which has a single perch in it. It did come with food/water bowls but they are just attached via velcro, so the first thing he does is rip them off and drop them... which means I end up with water running down my back! 🤣

Alfie has the same attitude about harnesses. I do have a harness for him and I did try and start harness training a few times... but he hates his back/wings being touched and the loop to go over his head is so small we never progressed that far with it. I never forced the issue because I'd quite like to retain all my fingers! 😁

• Like 1

After numerous attempts to convince Timber he would enjoy the great outdoors (I have the same backback neoow mentioned) I've given up. He does NOT want to go outside, is vocal in his objections, then just looks terrified until I bring him back in. 

Good luck! I think it probably varies from bird to bird.

• Like 1

Hi Katrina and Karen,

Thanks for the replies.  Like Alfie, Corey does not usually want anything to touch her wings or back.  We have thought of a backpack carrier but thought we would try this first.  We only have about $20 invested so far so if it doesn't work out, we are not out a lot of $. 

Unlike Timber, Corey likes to go outside.  We take her to the backyard in her travel cage [as long as it's not too hot].  She really seems to like to look around and preen.  It's hard to get her out of the travel cage when we bring her inside. 

Progress has been slow on the project to get Corey used to the stroller.  Seems like there's always something else to get distracted with but if we make progress, I will post.  Thanks again, Terry

• Like 1

Good luck with it, and please post photos when you complete it as I'd love to see what you end up with.

I think it's good to have different options depending on where you're going/what you're doing. I really like the stroller idea, I'm just not handy enough to make something myself!

Alfie enjoys getting out and about, as he's quite boisterous for a grey and seems to take it all in his stride. He loves going in his aviary in the garden and I have a similar problem in that I can never convince him to come back out of it in the evening! I have to remove all the toys and perches then put the travel cage over him to get him to go in it! Otherwise, he just climbs away!

• Like 1

Quick update on the Corey stroller experience.  Corey does NOT like the moving stroller.  Apparently, moving the stroller makes the stroller evil.  She even flies out of the stroller [and lands OK on the ground] in the house and she is very reluctant  flyer.  Hopefully, we can get her through the "the stroller is evil" phase. 

P.S.  I will post a picture of the finished stroller when we get there.