NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Earthquakes and birds

Posted (edited)

Last night I was suddenly awakened to the sound of my flock thrashing about in their cages. I went out to see what had terrified them, but couldn't find anything wrong. Then, 2 minutes later, a very short, quick jolting earthquake occurred to which my birds again began frantically flailing around in their cages. Teak, my meyers parrot, was so terrified that she spontaneous released all but 2 of her tail feathers, poor thing.

I find it quite fascinating that birds become alerted to an imminent earthquake. 

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is fascinating! My husband and I were talking about similar a few weeks ago. We had tornados touching down within 5 miles of our town. I had decided to get Timber in his cage where it would be easier to towel him and take him to the basement when necessary. He had already gone in his cage by himself with no prompting from me. It was very unusual so we thought he must have gone in the cage because he had some "sense" of the bad weather. For the most part, he avoids going in his cage until bedtime.

• Like 2

When I was stationed in California I rode through a quake.   You always imagine what they are like and then when you are in one it's totally different.  I remember the rise and fall of the building we were in and some back and forth in different directions.  When it was over all the trees and street lights were swaying.   Very weird experience.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yes, very weird. The worst earthquake I ever experienced was the big one in Silmar, located in So. Cal. It was over 7.1 in magnitude, and the earthquake sounds along with the shaking, rattling and rolling were frightening. My dog dived under my bed, and my brother went outside to watch the ground ripple and roll. My goldfish also swished out of its aquarium and unfortunately died.

We usually have smaller quakes, thank goodness. Many of the epicenters are to the north of us and in the desert regions.

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 3

Been through 2 (minor) earthquakes and one sonic boom -- my parrots took it in stride.  I had to see the news to even know what had happened each time (east coaster here).  But each time when I felt the whole house shake and could see my chandelier swinging -- I was a little freaked out.  My dog started panting and pacing (as she did during thunderstorms) - wanting my comfort yet unable to settle herself enough to accept my comfort....  But parrots?  Ya just never know how parrots will react.  I think my parrots always found some joy through a little drama.  lol   Would NOT want to know what a serious earthquake would do.  (shudder).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...