NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Companion CAG’s

Tinabell

I have a baby CAG who is 4 months old next week and I was wondering if getting another baby is a good idea? I’m thinking if it mostly for my female CAG. They would be only 2 months apart in age . I have had her for only 3 weeks now, but she is very bonded to me. By the time the new baby came home it would be another 2 months at least . I wanted the best chance that the two would be friends so that’s why I’m considering doIng this now, plus the breeder is local for the new baby and that makes it very nice. Has anyone had hood or bad experiences with introducing to babies around 4-6 months old ? Are there any other species of parrots that get along well with African Greys , or best to keep within the species ? 

• Like 1

I only have one bird so can't answer with any authority. Frankly, Timber demands as much time and attention as I can provide which is one of the reasons I haven't considered another. A lot of greys are "needy" in my experience.

However, from everything I've read on the forum and other places, the answer to your questions will be "it depends." Sometimes the birds like each other and sometimes they don't. Much like people, they are very independent about their likes and dislikes. If you get another grey, what if they decide to become mates? If that happens, they are no longer companion birds and focus on their mate instead of being bonded to you. Is that something you want to risk?

Others here have multiple birds and can answer this question with their own experience and I'm sure they will chime in. Good luck and God bless :)

• Like 1

You'd likely have the best chance of it working with her being so young than to wait. But there's no guarantee. Just have a Plan B in place in case they don't accept each other. 

Of my 11 birds, only 2 have bonded. Those are of the same breed and were introduced at a young age. Two of my other birds like to play bratty games. They tolerate each other, but would prefer not to have the other around. The rest of my birds have to come out individually.  

Would love to see a picture of your baby! 

• Like 1

I have a tag, a cag & an amazon.  All 3 turned out to be girls. I got my second grey, a cag ( rescued her) when my tag was almost 2 years old.   NONE of them are bonded, they don't seem to "like" each other..but tolerate each other. They have established a pecking order...They do not hang out together, when they are in their cages, they seem to care about that  ( all 3 cages are on the same side of the room)  they have no tolerance for sharing. They each have their own spaces, they accept that when one flies over, the other will go to a different spot. I do on occasion have 1 on each shoulder.  There have been territorial fights to which I have to run & put a stop too, but usually one will fly off rather than engage, I keep an eye on them when they are out.      2 weeks ago, I was cooking pancakes in an electric frying pan, I didn't realize 1 of of my greys were on top of the fridge next to the pan on the counter..the other grey was in the cupboard above the fridge. I was taliking to my daughter on the phone which makes my amzon yell, I went onto the bathroom so I could hear her & what a fight that happened. When I heard the commotion, I RAN out yelling & it was too late, my Cag fell into the pancakes & burned all the little feathers off her ankles!  Poor thing, that pan was at 300 degress!   I felt horrible!!!!      She was fine, but had flown off to the her safe space. I got her & she stayed on my shoulder for comfort.  

There is zero guarantee they will like each other. But they will learn to co-exist.  In my opinion. it is a 50/50 chance.  You have to ask yourself, IF they don't like each other, are you willing to allow them to co-exist & keep them as happy as they deserve, & if they don't bond ..are you willing to commit to a lifetime with them..if the answer if NO to the latter, then don't get another one.

• Like 2

I only have one African Grey- Alfie and he is 20 years old now. I have long thought about bringing a second bird home but like others have said, there is absolutely no guarantee that they will like or even tolerate each other. I know that if they had to have separate out-of-cage time because they don't get on then I wouldn't be able to give them both the time and attention they need.

I always think that this is a 'plan for the worst and hope for the best' kind of situation. Are you in the position where you have enough time, space and energy to keep two birds separately if they really dislike each other to the point that they can't be out at the same time?

• Like 1