NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird almond cookie receipe for treats.

joea

My Grey loves the All Living Things almond flavor cookie treats.  But they have been out of stock recently and she is quite disappointed to not get her accustomed treat.

Any known recipes available?   I'd actually rather bake them at home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Timbersmom said:

The only recipe I have is for chop and birdy bread, neither of which Timber will eat! Sorry, no help here.

Can you provide them? DM/PM if you like?  Would provide me with a starting point.   Might save me some trial and error, not being a "native baker/chemist".

I sent you some of the recipes I've collected in a message. Timber won't eat any of it. I hope you have better luck! You can also buy prepared bird bread mixes from suppliers of bird products, many solid name brands. I've tried several of those, adding veggie purees (pure and natural baby foods from store) to try to up the vegetable content. Timber won't touch those either, FYI ;)

Search the "stickies" here, there are many recipes in the bird feed ones if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

On 9/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, joea said:

My Grey loves the All Living Things almond flavor cookie treats.  But they have been out of stock recently and she is quite disappointed to not get her accustomed treat.

Any known recipes available?   I'd actually rather bake them at home.

Oooh. I have never seen these. I bet my birds would love these!  They love cookies & occasionally get a choc chip cookie!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Talon said:

Oooh. I have never seen these. I bet my birds would love these!  They love cookies & occasionally get a choc chip cookie!  

Isn't chocolate bad for birds?   I do make my own oatmeal raisin cookies that contain cinnamon and nutmeg, which I let her have a very small taste of.  Loves them, but I worry that it is too much sugar.

I also notice she no longer is avid about the Harrisons Bird Bread she used to devour in a moment.  Now she does eat it, but is not excited about it at all.   Spoiled by the sweets, I guess.

• Like 1

Mine will get bits of chocolate on occasion.    I don't really want to find out the hard way if excess chocolate is really bad for them so I don't risk it.   I however don't believe all the bs spouted out there by the FB karens that look for anything to reprimand.    E.g. My GreycieMae has been giving me wet sloppy birdy kisses for 9 years now without issue.  Another no no no no blah blah blah.....

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:14 AM, Timbersmom said:

I buy little carob chips, which ARE bird safe, with my typical "Timber has Christmas all year long" orders. He loves them as a treat. I wonder how they would bake in things? I've never tried, he likes them plain.

I have baked with them, it's just the same as choc chips, just not the sugar!

• Like 1

I do on occasion allow my birds a small piece of a choc chip cookie.  My timneh got out of her cage when I was at work all day & found her way into a cupboard where I keep no sugar choc covered almonds & no sugar dark chocolate bars...she had a field day in there as she is a candy addict.  She is still here to try & try to get into that cupboard every day! 

I am 62 years old, my 3 parrots ages are 15, 15 & 12 years old.  I really have no one to leave them too...I allow them occasional treats, if they don't make it 40 -80 years, they will live a less stressful llfe if they are being put in home after home.  This may sound bad on my part, but they are very set in their ways & having their lives disrupted so many times once I'm gone, is not what I feel is best for them.....so if I shorten their lives a few years by allowing them a forbidden treat..well so be it...Don't come down on me for this. My heart breaks knowing they will have to go thru alot of stress once I'm gone in not knowing what will become of their lives once my daughter makes the decision as to where they will go. She has 3 dogs & one cant not be in the same house with parrots.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:04 AM, joea said:

Isn't chocolate bad for birds?   I do make my own oatmeal raisin cookies that contain cinnamon and nutmeg, which I let her have a very small taste of.  Loves them, but I worry that it is too much sugar.

I also notice she no longer is avid about the Harrisons Bird Bread she used to devour in a moment.  Now she does eat it, but is not excited about it at all.   Spoiled by the sweets, I guess.

Yes, choc is bad for birds.  But I explained myself above, wrong as it is, I do not worry about them having a 60 year long life. A happy life is what's important to me!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Talon said:

Yes, choc is bad for birds.  But I explained myself above, wrong as it is, I do not worry about them having a 60 year long life. A happy life is what's important to me!  

I see your point.   Not criticizing you.

Still searching for a recipe she will eat.   Every one I have tried, she takes a taste, the gives me the stink eye.  Like "What are you trying to pull here?".  

They taste fine to me, not very sweet, but not horrible either.   The stores are still out of stock so, no taste comparisons are possible.  

One of the last ingredients listed is "other natural flavors", which may be the key.

Are cane sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, known to be toxic to birds?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sugar is not good as they can't metabolize it like humans can, it just accumulates.  I don't use any sugar, nor do I eat anything that has sugar in it . I do use monkfruit if I am baking & need a sweetener.  I don't eat anything with any type of chemicals or processed food, not do my birds, occasional cookies with no sugar and choc with no sugar, nothing artificial..yes they do once in a while

• Like 1

I thought I posed this earlier, but, here goes again:

I presume the references to "no sugar" mean "cane" or "refined" sugar and not "natural sugars" as might be found in honey, rice syrup, etc?

All the commercial "treats" such as cookies, contain one or both.

• Like 1