NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What do you think?

A.K

What do you think?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are Budgies are beginner pet?

• Yes, totally
    • No, not really
  2. 2. Do you have to have owned a lot of birds to be an experienced owner?

Hi,

Recently I’ve been doing a lot of research concerning African Grey… I’ve read that they are considered high maintenance, and only experienced owners should own on of these majestic birds. A lot of people say that budgies are a perfect beginner pet, but are they? What do you think? Are they? I don’t really think so, I mean, if anything I think an experienced owner should own these, because they are so small and timid… So, I want your opinion on:

- What makes an owner experienced? 

- Are budgies really a beginner pet? 

• Like 1

Ha...a beginner pet is something that could care less if you mess with it and requires little to no maintenance besides an occasionaly cleaning and feeding.   Maybe a snake?   Who knows.    Budgies can be pretty cool little pets but require a lot of hands on just like other birds.   Some people keep them in flocks in flight cages, not much hands on with those.

Experienced owner is someone who has had lots of experience!   Can't get there without putting in the time.   I don't subscribe to working your way up to a Grey.  You just really need to know and commit to what you are getting into. Like have a kid.

• Like 1

If you do your research thoroughly, then any pet is ok . I don't believe in "beginner" pets. All pets are entitled to be a lifetime commitment & lifetime pet. Not just a stepping stone to the pet you really might want.  Experience is what you get with any pet, things you will learn as you go, just like having a child.  SO no matter what it is you want, you RESEARCH everything you can, dedicate yourself to giving it the best life possible, and any home they enter MUST be a lifetime home for them.

• Like 1

Yeah, there’s always someone willing to help out… Thank goodness, people don’t consider budgies beginner pets, or that you have to have owned several bird before. I was worried, because I’ve owned two budgies before, both have passed on unfortunately, and no CAG before. As Timbersmom said, I am willing to put in the time to learn, prepare, read and listen. Looks like I may be okay to be an African Grey owner!

• Like 2

I started with a cockatiel (Kodak).  If you've never had a parrot before, you can certainly learn about feeding routines, snacks, handling, clean-ups ('tiels are dusty!) etc..  The main thing is, if you adopt a less expensive 'beginner' bird -- you can't later adopt your dream bird and then give less attention and care to your first parrot!  An inexpensive so-called 'beginner' parrot like a cockatiel is still a 20+ year obligation - a parrot who deserves all the same care, attention and time investment as the 'dream' parrot.  I had Kodak 21 years. 

I truly see both sides of the issue.  I am not recommending for or against a beginner/starter parrot.  I certainly can't say I regret my 'beginner' parrot since I loved him so much; but I also can't say I needed to start with a cockatiel.   Kodak was an amazing parrot in his own right and I always made sure that he felt he was the real favorite parrot here! :)   Every parrot deserves that!!!  

• Like 1

Personally I don't agree with the phrase "beginner pet". Budgies and cockatiels and other similar sized birds are sold off cheaply as 'beginner pets' as if they don't matter and don't have similar needs to more expensive or bigger birds. Same with hamsters and other rodents and even rabbits. I feel like this just leads people to believe these animals have no value and therefore are easy to look after/don't have complex needs. It also sometimes leads to people ignoring when the animal is ill and avoiding taking them to a vet because they're 'beginner pets' and can be easily replaced.

My first job was in a pet store that sold small birds, fish and rodents. We sold 'starter' cages and 'starter hutches' for the rodents and although the advise to customers was that they should upgrade to a bigger cage, many didn't bother. So scores of rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats etc would have just been left in teeny tiny cages/hutches for children to ignore because they were "beginner pets" and didn't matter.

I was interested in parrots after meeting an African Grey and an Eclectus that came through the store I was working at. I'd never had birds before that and had never considered birds as a pet until I met the birds in store. I was curious and started reading up about them and decided that an African Grey was for me. I've always liked the idea of having an eclectus as well- but they're more difficult to find over here and have a few diet and care considerations over a grey.

Getting a parrot is no different to getting any other pet, be it a dog, cat, hamster, budgie, snake... you need to be absolutely sure you can provide that animal with everything it needs before you bring it home. So do what you're doing now- read, research, watch videos, ask questions. This forum has been an absolute godsend for me and Alfie as there is so much knowledge here and I've learned so much from this place as well as other resources.

• Like 1