NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting

Dreamy

I just recently got a 20 year old bird. She has bitten me twice but she has also stepped up to my hand and has reached out her foot like she wants to step up when I approach her. Iam nervous she will bite me again. It hurts and has made blood. I feel like she likes me. How can I make sure a good relationship and her not to bite me anymore. 

• Like 1

Hi Dreamy,

Congrats on your new bird! She is very new to your world, so the key is to take things slowly. Watch for queues: pinning, fluffed up feathers as you approach her, etc. She needs to feel comfortable first before anything. She's been displaced, so naturally anything new will elicit fear responses. Take things very slow with a boatload of patience. Observe her queues for signs of readiness. Many try to rush a Grey, which absolutely DOES NOT work.

What is her background?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dreamy and welcome to the forum! Greytness is spot on, you have to learn what her body language means. I'm also a rehomer, and had several bites before I learned a little more about what Timber was really "saying" with his body language. Also remember that your bird is a prey animal and trust comes very slowly. I had to remind myself that Timber was biting out of fear, not out of meanness. Didn't make it hurt less, but helped me understand. Take it slow and steady and you'll get there. Trust me, though it gets very frustrating, developing a relationship is one of the most rewarding things you will every do (it was for me anyway). It took Timber and I about 6 months to adapt to each other, for him to trust me and for me to respect his fears and body language.

The background thing is important, and something a rehomer often can't know. For example, I quickly learned that Timber was terrified of hands. Why, I don't know, but probably a past experience. He will only step up on my forearm. Also, I learned that the "step-up" command didn't work for him. Again, I'm assuming something in his past. Instead, I say "want to go?" and offer my forearm. If he wants to step up, he will, if not he will pin his feathers a bit (slick them down) and turn his head slightly away from me while side-eyeing me. If I pushed it at that point and insisted, there's a really possibility he'd bite even after 9 years.

Good luck, give it time, and God bless :)

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone ❤️Thank you guys. I much appreciate your suggestions. I have a Quaker parrot whom was severely neglected so he is craze lmao. He used to bite me at first. Very scared but he was tiny so the bites didn’t hurt. 😂😂but she is Large and they hurt. Non the less I did realize I must take it slowly with felony and I backed off. I don’t know her background but she was from a friend of a friend so I may reach out to get her do and don’ts. We were doing very good at first then she bit me. Since I have given her space she is leaning in for head rubs but I’m reluctant to touch her.  SHe very rarely pin her eyes and flatten her feathers. I think that’s a good thing. Idk. When I come close her feathers raise slightly and her eyes open wide. don’t know how to read this because she seems very inviting and sweet and like she likes me. I am reading everything I can find until I talk to her previous owner

• Like 1

Fluffed, raised feathers means she's feeling uncomfortable, and is not a good time to reach for her. One of my rescues would look like a porcupine whenever I'd enter the room. Each day I was 'allowed' to come closer to his cage. With him it took 6 weeks for him to be completely relaxed and willing to step up. Again, a boatload of patience means everything when winning over a Grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys well I backed off and now she come for me, meaning if I am close the cage she will come out to get closer to me and or she will walk down her cage and walk to where I am. Idk if it’s a good thing that she is wants to walk around But I call to her. Sometimes she comes close. Sometimes she doesn’t. I will keep u guys posted 

• Like 1