NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Warning! Space heater killed my bird... STANLEY ST-221A-120

Don B

I had only left the house for a couple of hours, to visit for a thanksgiving dinner. I often bring a bird with me when I visit on holidays; the family all like them. Yesterday, I brought my grey, Toby; he talks a lot, eats anything, very well behaved, doesn't bite. So he's good company wherever I go out. But when I came home, my pionus was dead on the bottom of his cage. The space heater, a STANLEY St-221A-120, was spewing out putrid smelling hot air out of it's front vent. No smoke, but the stench was terrible. The power switch was fuzed solid, I couldn't turn it off, so I unplugged it and tossed it in the back yard. 

My gray, Toby, had stayed at my sister's house for the weekend. It was a lucky decision. But my pionus, Max, was dead. 

I don't know what went wrong; the heater had functioned normally for a few years without incident. There had been no warning that this might happen. I only left it on because I might be late coming home, and I didn't want it to get too cold for him. I'm just posting, so others know it's not a good type heater to use. We all believe that electric is safer than gas, oil, kerosene, or propane. Well, apparently, not always. Be safe. Don't let what happened to us, happen to you. I will miss my Max. He was only 28, in good health, playful, and friendly. RIP Max. 

Here's the link for the offending heater:  https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-ST-221A-120-Profile-Electric-Heater/dp/B07L36CXJB/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=STANLEY+ST-221A-120+Electric+Heater&qid=1606507570&sr=8-5

And a pic 

stanley heater pic.jpg

• Sad 3

My heart sunk when I read this on another forum. I'm so, so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how devastated you are over the loss your beloved baby. 

I believe many space heaters have teflon coated elements. Sounds like yours must have had a short, which overheated those elements. I sincerely appreciate your sharing this information, as I know that it can help others moving forward. 

I'm so very sorry, Don. My heart goes out to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sad.  So extremely sorry this happened to you.  :(

I also assume there was teflon (aka polytetrafluoroethylene/PTFE) in the heating unit.  Many companies don't emphasize that many pots, pans, toaster ovens, space heaters, air fryers, slow-cookers, etc., contain this dangerous product.  I even bought a ceramic frying skillet a few years back, and the small (and I mean very small print!) mentioned it was a danger to birds due to a fluorocarbon agent.   Yeah, a ceramic skillet.  I mean, c'mon, you buy ceramic to AVOID a non-stick polytetrafluoroethylene-type pan.  :(   I am leery of anything coating that heats up these days being used around parrots.  So sorry you found this out in such a cruel way.

At low temps, not a big deal -- but at higher heats -- lethal for birds.  So sorry for your loss.  

• Like 2

I am so sorry to hear about your loss! Our hearts go out to you during this time! 

Thank you for sharing your story. Please reach out if you would like to chat or just rant about things. Losing a pet is tough (they are family after all!) and sometimes it's nice to chat with people during this trying time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1