NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELLO From Keith and Gaby

KeithF

Hi Everyone...

I'm new here from Southern Calif. I just got my African Grey named Gaby. She is 3 1/2 months old. I've had her for 2 weeks now. We are practicing Recall. She is getting better and better with each session. The one problem I have , there is a hanging light fixture where we fly her and it has become a magnet to her. I do give her treats, but she is never that hungry. I don't like starving her so she goes more for the treats. 

I do have a question.... I am concerned down the road about her plucking her feathers. I know its a stress thing or health issue. I am trying to decide on weather keeping her full flighted or clipping her wings. My breeder told me if I don't want her plucking, keep her full flighted. So my question is how many of you have clipped wings with no feather plucking, and for all full flighted, do you have any problems with plucking. You can also list your bird as plucking or not plucking, flighted or clipped. 

Thank you,

Keith and Gaby

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Clipping a flighted CAG negatively impacts their psyche. Flying also helps keep their cardiovascular system healthy.
All birds love to land on 'perches' that are high up. There's not a whole lot you can do about it except to put something on top of it that may prevent her from landing there while she's out.

All 13 of my birds, which include 3 CAGS, are flighted and not one of my birds has ever plucked.

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 3

23 years keeping parrots, never had feather plucking.  I consider plucking more often associated with emotional stress: bored, not enough stimulation, neglected, etc..  It can certainly be the result of physical issues also but I always associate it more with emotional issues.  I always make sure mine is entertained and kept busy with lots of time out of cage, one-on-one direct interaction, interesting foods/treats and toys.  Plus lots of cardboard to chew!!!

I don't clip wings.  Mine can fly if they want.  I had a cockatiel (23+ yo RB) who could fly so well he could turn a corner on a dime.  lol   My grey tends to only use flight if startled, to glide gently to the floor.

• Like 2

All 3 of mine came to me with clipped wings. I am a firm believer in allowing them the freedom to fly just like we have our legs, their wings are their legs...I have a tag that recently started plucking her legs and a little,of her chest. She is low on the totem pole and the others don’t allow her to get a lot of attention. She is the only one allowed out in the am while I get ready for work, and the last one to bed. I try and give her more attention, I know it’s stress related...but with work, my time is limited. Her place in the flock is a contributor to it I am sure.  It saddens me..

• Like 2