NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Living with and loving an Amazon

Ray P

When it comes to living with a Amazon there are many stories out there and a lot of them not so good.

In many ways Zons and Greys are a lot alike in that relationships are built and not a given.

You can pat a dog on his head and he will be as happy as a sissy in boys camp.

Not so with a parrot. It`s work to develop a relationship and more work to keep it strong.

Zons have a reputation of not being the easiest to live with.

You need some big parrot experience to develop a respect and loving relationship with a Zon.

They want to always be in control of their surroundings and seam to respect people with self confidence.

It has taken me years to get over the loss of Cricket and to talk about her.

So I would like share some of my memories of my special Amazon Cricket in my upcoming post.

We will call it my home run relationship with my Zon.

Greys and Amazons are awesome companions each in their own special way.

Edited by Ray P
  • Like 2

I would love to learn more about Cricket and it's good that you feel ready to talk about her.

I don't really know much about Amazons as I've never done much research into them. I've seen lots of videos where they are talking up a storm or singing etc. They do seem like the class clown of the parrot species. I also understand that they can be quite intense- I don't want to say difficult to handle but if they get cranky about something- watch out! 😂 Mind you- the same could be said for most parrots!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Ray is correct. I had no amazon and not a ton of parrot experience when I got my amazon Nilah at 6 months on a whim.  Luckily for me she’s a female and not as aggressive as the males. I learned very fast that no matter what, she was never to have the upper hand on me, so I stayed consistent and never backed down, 

She is very loving and affectionate, but you MUST learn to read their body language, yes I have been bitten on the hand or arm and boy it is a bite like no grey can give! We have a relationship that you just can’t have with a grey. I know her limits, and we both follow the rules of our relationship that both of us have made..it works well. She hates other women and will attack them ,so she stays in her cage when I have guests, my sister is the only other allowed female, but that’s another story for another time. She is very much bonded and has the same relationship with my honey..he has lived with us for the past 2 years, and Nilah adores him and has established the same relationship with him as well.  

I love to hear about Cricket, so I am happy you feel you can now share. You had a relationship with Cricket like no one has with a n amazon, so please when you can share her beautiful memories ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1