NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Potato Chips

Steevo

Hi all, I have a 6 month old female African Grey Parrot who loves potato chips. Is it ok for my girl to have maybe 1 chip the size of her beak every couple of days if she’s eating plenty of fruit, vegetables and Nutri Blend pellets daily. She seems to be in perfect health. 
Cheers, Steve

Edited by Steevo
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

Agree with Timber.  There's a LOT of salt in potato chips -- maybe try to rub some salt off on a paper towel or something first.

But yeah, I have given Snickers a few unhealthy treats over these years -- they see us eating and want some too!  Esp french fries!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRSeedBurners said:

Don't tell anyone but GreycieMae and Huey are closet cheese connoisseurs.

5 hours ago, judygram said:

Salt can have a cumulative effect so if allowing one every couple of days could be dangerous in time, I would lay off letting her have that treat.

What about a small unsalted chip every 2 or 3 days or am I best just not to feed them to her at all ?

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:57 AM, judygram said:

Salt can have a cumulative effect so if allowing one every couple of days could be dangerous in time, I would lay off letting her have that treat.

Thanx Judy, no more salt for my Girl. 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Vannah liked fried chicken when she came to us, along with fries and crackers. She has crackers now without salt, and chicken bits I've cooken up for her without the oils, but no luck on the fries. I'm going to try the sweet potato thing and see if that works!

• Like 1

Timber loves a boiled chicken wing. He will strip the marrow right out of the bone. I strip off a lot of the meat, it's just too much for him, but he sure enjoys working those bones. He's also fond of bits of boiled egg. I make an extra for him and put it in a baggie in the fridge to portion out over a few days.

• 1 year later...

Because if you eat too much, it will not be good for your parrot. But it's good that you reduced the amount of salt in it. Since this is their favorite food, it can't be banned, you should also add nutrient-rich foods to them such as cooked beans, corn, tortillas, potatoes, bread, cooked chicken ripe, .......

• Like 1